Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Sodium Help Plz

I know I’ve read in the past about a few of you living the low sodium life so I’m reaching out for a little help. 
  Story is my MIL has been put on a strict low sodium, low fat and low potassium diet that is under 2grams of salt a day(I think).  I’m trying to come up with a few rubs and different menu ideas for her to use. I may end up eggin several meals and vac packing for her later consumption.  This is my first adventure trying to cook with restrictions of low sodium,low fat and low potassium so I’m struggling a bit.  Anybody got any good recipes or thoughts that can help get my mindset where it needs to go to make this happen?  

Appreciate any and all info.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited August 2020
    I wish that I had good news, almost everyone could use less salt in their diet.
    I don't think that there is any real substitute for salt, at least none that I have found, some use the potassium chloride salt substitute, but too me it doesn't taste the same. I'm guessing that since you mentioned low potassium, the salt substitute is out also.
    I'm hoping someone else can come post some good recipes, I need them also. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Do some reading on the DASH diet. Lots of cookbooks and websites  will have recipes/ideas.
    Doing the low sodium thing is easy if one just eats fresh unprocessed food.
    The AHA (American Heart Association) says that 1.5g is what we should be limiting our sodium intake to.  
    As far as rubs I like the Amazing Ribs Memphis Dust. A good, flavorful, no sodium blend. I use that all the time when doing baby backs.

Good luck helping out your MIL.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Mrs Dash is a good choice, here in Canada anyway.

This is a very difficult journey as everything you buy will be high in sodium.  I agree there is no substitute for taste for salt, the trick is to make your own rub with little or no salt.

Usually for any recipe, like pizza dough, I just put less salt and I do not notice the difference.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Powdered kelp gives the taste of salt with next to no salt. It does have iodine in it though if that is a concern.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    I read or saw something a while back from a famous chef about how to use less salt.  His 2 suggestions were: lemon juice and vinegars

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    limes and lemon on fish, steak, chicken etc, easiest to just keep it simple like fresh herbs.  with the potassium its actually hard to meet the levels they want with food so google potassium rich foods and avoid those. the  mediterranean and dash diet plans have alot of potassium rich foods as its loaded with greens and fruits, stay away from bannanas and potatoes.dizzy pig has a salt free dizzy dust and raging river rub.  she needs to talk with a dietitian. the citrus and vinegars will lower the salt cravings

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Dizzy Pig sells 2 of their blends, Dizzy Dust & Ragin' River w/o salt. Most of the Mrs. Dash blends are OK, but often need some addition(s) to kick the flavor up.

The herb and spice blends I buy tend to have little or no salt or pepper. But they are raw, and require grinding at the time of use. Sometimes, instead of using them at the start, end with a finish sprinkle.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    make sure she doesnt take ibuprofen, doctor told me to cut that way back. it retains salt in the body. for some reason the diuretic he put me on relieved the daily back pain anyways so all was good with that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I’ve ordered a 3 pack of Mrs Dash herbs that I think will be flavorful.  Fish n chicken are on the shopping list.  Probably get her into cooking these in foil packets with some veggies.  

The info is great guys.  Thank you 

analyze adapt overcome

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Check out  the ThyCa low iodine cookbook, you can download it for free. Most recipes are salt free.  
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Mattman3969
    So I wanted to bump this to share a little info. The MIL has adapted really well to the no salt diet but now Mrs3969 has been put on a minimal salt diet as well due really bad case of vertigo they think is caused by meniere's disease.  Low Sodium seems to be helping.  I’ve really had to back up and punt on my own cookin but it’s been fun.  Lot of citrus,vinegars and fresh herbs for flavor.  I did find a rub line by Dak’s that is salt free and actually really good. 

Over the weekend I played with some BB ribs with DP DD no salt and a Fresh Blackberry Sauce that turned out really good and the MIL really enjoyed. 

Tonight was Pork Chops using the Dak’s Original. Great flavor   Taters were EVOO and fresh herbs only 

Challenge accepted and taste buds are adjusting.   

Thanks for reading 

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Good Lord... those chops look farkin' awesome!

Costco sells a decent no-salt seasoning. I know its low-hanging fruit, but its an inexpensive option, and may be different from other stuff you've found. 

We eat less salt in our diet than others in our family, so I have to keep reminding Pops and my MIL to ease up on the salt when they're cooking. I never salt eggs when making omelets etc, otherwise it tastes too salty for us.

Much of it is getting used to the taste of food with less salt, but doesn't mean sacrificing flavor. Upping the salt in foods is usually the cheap shot to try and make food taste better, anyways. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    @caliking - I hear ya on too salty. We’ve been at this for about 3wks and I made some brats for the grandtribe and burgers for us. I used the Salt Free Dizzy Dust (thanks @Nature Boy ) on the burgers and they were legit but I about gagged on the brats saltiness. I love brats damnit so WTH. Tastebuds are a changin.  
     The thing I’m missing the most is my stir fry. Haven’t found any acceptable substitutions for any of the sauces I use.  

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @caliking - I hear ya on too salty. We’ve been at this for about 3wks and I made some brats for the grandtribe and burgers for us. I used the Salt Free Dizzy Dust (thanks @Nature Boy ) on the burgers and they were legit but I about gagged on the brats saltiness. I love brats damnit so WTH. Tastebuds are a changin.  
     The thing I’m missing the most is my stir fry. Haven’t found any acceptable substitutions for any of the sauces I use.  
    I agree. I've often found that things like fermented black beans, chili garlic sauce/paste, tobanjian, etc. are way too salty for our tastes, when used in the amounts specified by recipes.

Did a quick search, and there are some options to make some of these things yourself:

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/doubanjiang/

https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/120/Low_Sodium_Soy_Sauce_Substitut61540.shtml

This is definitely in your wheelhouse, from what I've seen :)

Kudos to you, for stepping up to this challenge, and looking out for your fam.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Wife is low-sodium. 1200-1500mg/day

watch out for listed amounts (like, a damned sub roll might be 400mg by itself), and buy lower sodium when you can. 

For example, some (precooked) frozen shrimp is 800mg/serving. Eff that. 

Buy the same size raw/frozen. Minimal sodium. 

We thought it was going to be a big switch, but in reality? We bring in only lower-sodium prepared foods, and what food we prepare ourselves (most of it) we don’t add much salt to until it hits the plate. 

Think of it like corn on the cob

steam it and roll it in salt free butter. Salt free. 

Then a pinch of salt to season it.

same for almost everything. 

you’ll stay way under the 1200-1500mg/day
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I dread the day the doctor tells My Beautiful Wife, she has to go on a low sodium diet.

Thank all of you for this information. Book marking this thread.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Great thread — thx for sharing. Keep up the great work and adapting to the changing dietary needs of the fam!  

I’ve been on a low sodium diet for 3 months.  Goal is < 1500 mg/day and am doing it by minimal eating out/ordering in, careful review of labels, and “earing clean” HendersonTRK style — no beef, pork or chx, lots of fish, veggies, and eggs. It’s been painful and fun and a total PITA for my very understanding family, but I’ve  dropped a bunch of weight and feel great.  Was gonna do a month, but am sticking with it. Have had a few epic lapses — found myself driving near enough to Charleston with the Prince on a road trip to Tampa so we hit Rodney Scott’s and Melvin’s back-to-back in one afternoon, which was off the charts amazing and worth it. Aside from that detour, and a hotdog on the 4th, I’ve been pretty compliant. One thing I’ve noticed is that after a while, my salt sensitivity went way up.  Piling on the herbs and acids — citrus and vinegar — has really helped. 

Anyway, your post inspired me to share a little of my recent journey. I’m thinking I’ll start to reincorporate 4-legged animal flesh soon, with strict portion control as my guardrail. Just not sure I can trust myself to behave. Maybe after I hit my goal weight and BP . . . 
    It's a 302 thing . . .