Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Touch up paint

Options
Hello Eggheads, looking to touch up an older egg. Problem is the latex hunter green paint from BGE does not match. Also does not weather well. Chipped off within week. Saw a while back that a post suggested hunter green Krylon and taping off with a frog tape. Does anybody know what exact paint and brand would be best?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I assume you already know that the green color is not paint anyway, but fired on ceramic glaze. Just the same I had a few spots years ago, before BGE offered a touch up enamel.  What worked for me back then was I took my rain bonnet to an art/craft store and found an arcrylic that blended beautifully. Today - some maybe 17 years later I can't tell where the problems even were!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I bought BGE brand and it's much darker than original glaze. I overpaid for a mismatch. I would also love to know answer to OPs question.
  • rsalemi
    rsalemi Posts: 2
    Options
    I got the acrylic touch up paint from BGE Corp retail store. About 1 oz. color is much darker. Plus did not weather and peeled off quickly. Considering high gloss krylon spray paint because I read on the forum that someone used and has success. Just couldn’t remember brand. My guess is that it would be much harder to peel off vs acrylic water based paint from BGE. Any more suggestions?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    Did you end up finding a good paint?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RyanStl
    Options
    Inquiring minds want to know 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WAG (wild ass guess) but maybe check out nail polish colors . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • The_Buffalo
    The_Buffalo Posts: 459
    edited June 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    I assume you already know that the green color is not paint anyway, but fired on ceramic glaze. Just the same I had a few spots years ago, before BGE offered a touch up enamel.  What worked for me back then was I took my rain bonnet to an art/craft store and found an arcrylic that blended beautifully. Today - some maybe 17 years later I can't tell where the problems even were!
    We still offer the paint. please contact  customer-support@biggreenegg.com they should be able to help you.
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
  • RyanStl
    Options
    It's nice if they send it for free, but don't waste $14 on it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    RRP said:
    What does your rain bonnet have to do with this?  I would probably have brought the Ceramic Damper Cap.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    RRP said:
    What does your rain bonnet have to do with this?  I would probably have brought the Ceramic Damper Cap.
    Well, Sonny...in days of yore that cap was often referred to as the rain bonnet, by us ancients...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.