Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seared Cornell chicken

Options
Since moving west I have attempted many ways of reproducing fire hall/Cornell chicken, but struggled with getting crispy skin without burning the bird.

my last two attempts have been reverse sear, once with breasts and once with a whole bird, and I think I’m there 

225* indirect until 140 internal 
550* direct raised to 165 

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Is Cornell Chicken a must-try recipe? It's something I've always heard about but never tried... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You have added the term “reverse seared” to your description of Cornell chicken. What is different about your process than the standard Cornell chicken process?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• duck_hunter
    duck_hunter Posts: 185
    Options
    It’s must try for me, it was what I grew up understanding as bbq chicken, and I’m getting requests for it now 

the standard Cornell chicken process is over an open pit fire 700 some degrees in wire cage rotisseries, you can’t get the chicken far enough away from the flame to do 700* in the egg, cooking it at 350* direct is good, the reverse sear seems to be next level, crisping the skin without burning the bird, maybe others have been doing it reverse sear all along :) but I’m just stumbling on it now 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I had good and bad results with Cornell chicken on the egg.  I raise the grate at felt level.  After marinating the chicken, I dry it out with sponge towels and let it air dry a bit.  I don’t baste with the marinade until the skin has started to crisp a bit.

The acid in the marinade denatures the protein in the skin and makes it harder to crisp.  I would be tempted to remove all the skin while marinating and putting it back just before grilling.

edited July 2020
    Options
    paqman said:
    I had good and bad results with Cornell chicken on the egg.  I raise the grate at felt level.  After marinating the chicken, I dry it out with sponge towels and let it air dry a bit.  I don’t baste with the marinade until the skin has started to crisp a bit.

The acid in the marinade denatures the protein in the skin and makes it harder to crisp.  I would be tempted to remove all the skin while marinating and putting it back just before grilling.

I've got a few Mexican and Indian style grill recipes that call for removing the skin entirely and scoring the flesh and they are some of my favorites b/c the marinated has a better chance of working its way into the flesh without the skin barrier. I don't miss the skin at all in these dishes. Wonder if this would work here.

Also - I'm curious if you could counteract the acid problem by rubbing the skin down with Baking Soda before it goes on the grill. Cook's Illustrated has recommended this technique for various chicken recipes in the past but I've yet to try it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    interesting approach, thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap