Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble getting Pork Butts.

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Anyone else having a hard time finding pork butts?  My local club stores seem to be out, or they only have 2packs.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    A friend was at GFS two weeks ago and they said they received their last shipment!  No idea when they would get more.  We each bought 4.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ryantt
    @kl8ton smart move getting 4 of them.  Who knows when this pork shortage will end.  

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    Costco hasn't had any in awhile, my local Kroger always has 5-6 in their case. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    No issues with the suppliers at the local Kroger, as well. He!! their supply of brisket flats is approaching record quantity as well.  I'm not advocating the flats, just offering information.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    lousubcap said:
    No issues with the suppliers at the local Kroger, as well. He!! their supply of brisket flats is approaching record quantity as well.  I'm not advocating the flats, just offering information.  FWIW-
    Haven’t seen flats for some time, but last Wed Kroger here ran a big ad for BOGO chuck roasts. I normally jump on that sale and load up so as to grind my own beef for burgers, meat loaf etc. I went there 4 days in a row and all they had were bins and bins of round steak and beef butts. I asked and they said their trucks just didn’t have any. Finally on Sunday I scored 4 chucks, but the rest of them must have been cut from tanners which escaped the leather couch line,
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Just got some last week at Costco. There were the usual amount of them in the case.

I do wish Costco would carry the bone-in kind, but ...
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    OhioEgger said:
    Just got some last week at Costco. There were the usual amount of them in the case.

I do wish Costco would carry the bone-in kind, but ...
    I have never understood why Costco would sell boneless butts. Apparently their market research has shown them that boneless is what their customers prefer. They probably won't ever change until the customers stop buying the boneless. It is a shame that that don't sell the bone in ones.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    plenty here, wings are another story, havent seen them since march
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ryantt
    @fishlessman now that you mention it, wings and chicken breast have been a little scarce. I sure hope things get back to normal soon. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    RRP said:
    lousubcap said:
    Haven’t seen flats for some time, but last Wed Kroger here ran a big ad for BOGO chuck roasts. I normally jump on that sale and load up so as to grind my own beef for burgers, meat loaf etc. I went there 4 days in a row and all they had were bins and bins of round steak and beef butts. I asked and they said their trucks just didn’t have any. Finally on Sunday I scored 4 chucks, but the rest of them must have been cut from tanners which escaped the leather couch line,

I was checking those out for pepper stout... they were cut 1/2" thick so i passed.
      They did have a full pull of pork butts $1.99 lb
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Pork butts at my Costco were $1.79 Sunday. Cheapest they’ve been in a while and they had plenty of them. 
  • chipc
    chipc Posts: 1
    Try your local Save A Lot, two weeks ago .99 lb.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    from a town 21 miles away:

https://jandrmarket.com/Home/JandRmarket
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2020
    Butts are still readily available around my location. Smaller stores seem to have better stock.
  • Weird, my Costco sells bone-in butts by the 2-pack. Haven't bought in a while but last I purchased, I think 16-17lbs (2 butts) was around $30. 
  • Just picked one up after work at Sam’s Club on Portage St (N Canton, OH). The only have them in single packs.  The meat dept guy put out about 10  The meat and seafood coolers seemed well stocked.
    Large BGE, Cookshack Smokette, Weber Genesis Gold, and Weber Smokey Joe
    Canton, Ohio
    Home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    edited July 2020

North West Louisiana 

They are on sale at Krogers thus week....

Got one seasoning in the fridge right now to cook over night Saturday for Sunday dinner.

On a side note, I have not scene PAM on the shelves in a LONG time, toilet paper, paper towels, meats.... but no Pam....

• ryantt
    @Paul_in_Canton I’ll head up this morning.  Last few times we went, nothing...maybe it had to do woth it being close to the 4th.  

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    We seem to have plenty here in Southern Wisco. Costco, supermarkets and one of the butchers I use all look to have good supplies of them. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Costco hasn't had any in awhile, my local Kroger always has 5-6 in their case. 

I’ve got an 8 lb butt on the Egg now that I bought From Kroger on Memorial Day that was marked down to $6.00. 

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    All cuts are available here in St. Louis. It was tough a few months ago though.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    picked up several yesterday at King Soopers (Colorado brand for Kroger) for $1.29 a pound.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I was in a Maryland Costco last week and didn't notice any shortage.  They had full cases of their usual 2 packs.  Wish I had a bigger freezer... I'd stock some away for a rainy day.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DocObbins
    DocObbins Posts: 28
    Food Lion stores in Va Beach and OBX areas have bone-in butts this week @ $.99/lb