Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. Birding

smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
Anyone else into birding?

I am so excited to start my five day “Birds in the Classroom” course sponsored by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service tomorrow.  I can’t wait to integrate this into my 3rd grade science curriculum!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I was far better with identification back in the day, but I do enjoy keeping an eye out for the birds. For my money, the Peterson guides are the best.
    Stillwater, MN
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Birds are cool. I have several feeders out back and will keep an eye for what I see when driving the less crowded back roads in the country.  I’m a big fan of the Northern Crested Caracara. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited July 2020
    I took a birding class from the local comm. college at Grand Forks, ND, more to learn to identify the birds that I'd been shooting photographing than to try to see how many different breeds I could see in a season.  Never would have picked up ID-ing by song, feet, beeks, and flying style from books alone (I too have the Peterson books).  
    I live on the edge of a bench to the Great Salt Lake, and have quite a few visitors: hummingbirds, magpies, mountain bluebirds, kingbirds, and I used to have a pretty big flock of California Quail come stomping through (23 of them, a couple years ago) but I haven't seen them this year (did get a photo of a falcon kill of one of them, one winter!)  
    There's also a golden eagle that thermals across the bench, I've only seen it once but have heard its distinctive call several times; majestic birds!   

A couple shots.  Snowy Owl:

And a Yellow-headed Blackbird, they're thick down in the Bear River Bird Refuge (where I collect all my Utard mosquito bites):

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• StillH2OEgger
    Nice photos, @Botch. I used to see yellow-headed blackbirds all the time 20-30 years ago (central Minnesota), but can't recall the last time I've seen one.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited July 2020
    Nice photos, @Botch. I used to see yellow-headed blackbirds all the time 20-30 years ago (central Minnesota), but can't recall the last time I've seen one.
    Interesting; I grew up in Sioux Falls and had never seen one until i moved to Albuquerque (plenty of red-wing blackbirds in the back slough, however!)  

Bemidji State Park was one of my favorite photo sites, ever; once this Coronaphk ends I plan to revisit, especially in June!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• StillH2OEgger
    Botch said:

Bemidji State Park was one of my favorite photo sites, ever; once this Coronaphk ends I plan to revisit, especially in June!  
    Camped at that park (many years ago) and saw lots of birds I would never see where I grew up a few hours south of there. Saw a bunch of evening grosbeaks, which were a treat. Meadowlarks were also common.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Cool - I just got birding glasses as a birthday gift.  Initially to watch red-shouldered hawks in my backyard.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I enjoy watching the birds that come to my feeders in the yard.  Nothing special.  I use an app on my phone for identification called Merlin.  It's from the Cornell Lab.  It's a great tool that has help me a lot.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I enjoy watching the birds that come to my feeders in the yard.  Nothing special.  I use an app on my phone for identification called Merlin.  It's from the Cornell Lab.  It's a great tool that has help me a lot.
    Yup - downloaded Merlin about 2 months ago.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    +1 for the Merlin Bird ID app.  Eastern Towhee is a pretty solid and elusive find in these parts.  I saw one and confirmed via said app. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    We see Bald eagles in the nesting grounds around Jordan lake routinely. Watched a mother feeding the littles on an island a while back. Supposedly we have Goldens as well but have not spotted one yet. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.