Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Like riding a bike...kind of

Options
2»

Comments

• JKellar
    JKellar Posts: 91
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @cazzy So very sorry for your loss. It is the worst day ever when your dog passes. My sincerest condolences. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,404
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Well, things escalated quickly.  The ribs feel over in some spots, mostly because I got a **** curveball.  My dog took a turn for the worse, couldn’t stand and was laboring very bad when he breathed.  Super quick, hard breaths with his tongue out and drooling a ton.  He’s a 15yo lab and we’ve been expecting this, but damn, what a crappy day.  We decided it was best to euthanize.  😢

I came back from the vet, glazed them and pulled them off.  They look good, but don’t think they’ll be my best effort.  

Yeah nothing would taste good afterwards. Been there.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @cazzy what looked to be such a great day, turned horrible.  I'm very, very sorry to hear about that.  Damn..
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,807
    edited July 2020
    Options
    15 years man. sorry for your loss
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Ah so sorry about your dog. So Tough. Our first Golden lived to be 18, he was a saint. He was still happy even at 18, but his body was not.  Still remember the drive and feeling as we drove to the vet.  It hurts for sure.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,807
    Options
    @cazzy what is your eds (every day smoker)?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Reading this thread is just a huge high and then a huge low. So glad to see you back. So sad to hear about your loss. Both. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Reading this thread is just a huge high and then a huge low. So glad to see you back. So sad to hear about your loss. Both. 
    But does this mean you’re NOT gonna run the exchange?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    But does this mean you’re NOT gonna run the exchange?
    Too soon?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Doesn't matter how many we had and lost, it still makes for some tears when we lose another dog...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Oh man, sorry to hear about the pup, Caz. That’s a big loss. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,238
    Options
    Truly sorry to hear Cazzy! Gives me a knot in my stomach.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words.   Colby was a good pup!  Will be missed!  

The ribs sucked bad.  One of the biggest problems was this.  That 1-1.5 hours unattended was a lot hotter than I anticipated.  Never noticed until my egg cooled how off my gauge was.  

I’ll calibrate and do a redemption cook when I spread Colby’s ashes at the lake next month.    
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @cazzy what is your eds (every day smoker)?
    Pitmaker Vault, but this arrives in August.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2020
    Options
    WOW beautiful Pit !!  :o I just finished MASTERCLASS w/ Aaron Franklin  . . realized how amazing those things are.  I admire the craft and appreciate the clean wood smoke flavor, BUT the required commitment to the fire is insane!

Anyway @cazzy . . if the opportunity arrises, Please TEST the proposed BGE "clean smoke" method (wood chunks down in firebox first, super hot chimney of lump added over top).  I have tried, think its cool, but I really have no experience using an offset etc.  If you can test, and share your thoughts, I would be extremely grateful.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Hate that for you brother.  Know your pain.  I had a Fox Terrier for 14 years, a Keeshond for 14 1/2 and a Yellow Lab for 12 1/2.  It never gets any easier to do with each of our four-legged family members.  I don't think I have it in me to do again.  Godspeed to you...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,701
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    canuckland