Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss vs Smobot

Options
13»

Comments

• drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    Options
    Love my Smobot. Never a server issue. Always works perfectly.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • snakyjake
    Options
    I'm giving strong consideration to the Smobot.  I have built the Heatermeter, which seems comparable to the Flameboss.  What I don't like is a fan and the fan on the damper.  I've had concerns with the fan in the rain and freezing temperatures (humidity and freezing temps will cause the fan damper to freeze).  The fan is nice to get the fire going, but then can overshoot and snuff the fire.  So fire management is important.  The Flameboss doesn't have the damper problem, but not too sure how it will hold up in the rain, and I don't want to be forcing rain into my BGE either.  The problem I have with the Smobot is the price.  There's a lot that resembles the Heatermeter, and I know how much $$ went into the Heatermeter.  It would be REAL nice if the Smobot Damper would work with the Heatermeter.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    SMOBOT rules!  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    snakyjake said:
    I've had concerns with the fan in the rain and freezing temperatures (humidity and freezing temps will cause the fan damper to freeze).  The fan is nice to get the fire going, but then can overshoot and snuff the fire.  So fire management is important.  The Flameboss doesn't have the damper problem, but not too sure how it will hold up in the rain, and I don't want to be forcing rain into my BGE either. 
    Non issues......I've sold close to 1000 of them and no one has ever had these problems.  If you're worried about the fan in the rain, just crimp some foil over it to make a little hood.  It doesn't overshoot and it doesn't snuff the fire because air can flow through the stopped fan.
  • RazorCat
    Options
    I've completed 6 low temp cooks using my Smobot on Large BGE.  Perfection every time.  My first cook was a 22 hour cook on a 15 pound brisket.  Varied only 4º over the entire cook.  And wrapping it and letting it rest in a cooler put the finishing touch on it.  It was absolutely larapin.  Can't believe I didn't buy one years ago.  I did learn I'll need to fill the Egg past the fire ring to do burns over 20 hours.  Was running a little low on fuel at the end.  Pictured below is an effective, inexpensive (Nite Ize ties for $6.00 for two at HD or Amazon) solution I found for keeping the damper wire off the dome, although I doubt I'll ever use my Smobot for many high temp cooks.  Just thread the wire thru the loop before plugging it in to the controller.

Large Green Egg
    Smobot
    Custom Cedar Table
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    It took me 50+ years to learn (and admit) that sometimes simple is better.  Smobot brings simplicity and effectiveness to the party.  Had a fan, done that, got the shirt and the hat, overrated.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Should throw this into the discussion:  I noticed my Smobot moved a bit slower than usual the last time I used it (I've had it a couple years) and noticed some gunk buildup around the blades, cleaned it up and it works fine again.  Just something to look for.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RazorCat
    Options
    I hit the damper louvers with some degreaser and hot water every couple of cooks.
    Dry it off, and start cooking.  Just take care to keep the servo dry.  Mine came with the damper arm cover which helps.  
    Best accessory I’ve bought for my BGE.
    Large Green Egg
    Smobot
    Custom Cedar Table
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I am torn between the 500 and Smobot, leaning smobot but curious what happens when it rains?  I bought the SMOKEWARE top to keep the rain out.  Is there an option for a rain deflector for the smobot?
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    I am torn between the 500 and Smobot, leaning smobot but curious what happens when it rains?  I bought the SMOKEWARE top to keep the rain out.  Is there an option for a rain deflector for the smobot?
    Since I responded in 2018 to this thread where I voted for an Auber, I have since bought a Smobot.  The Auber is very much like the flameboss, and it is likely most controllers purchase their therms and fans directly from Auber.  I really like my Auber, and controlling it remotely is great.  I decided I liked the idea of a fanless controller, and I find I am using the smobot more lately.  I used it Sunday and it worked flawlessly.  I havent used it in rain, but from the smobot home page:

Is the SMOBOT waterproof?

The SMOBOT damper can be exposed to water and can be used in the rain.  The SMOBOT control unit should be protected from the elements.  We suggest using a plastic bag or container to keep the rain/snow off of your unit if you are using it in inclement weather.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    yumdinger said:

Modify a cheap roof vent cap...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    Concur with @HeavyG I did the same. Additionally I went ahead and bought the gen 2 servo arm and rubber rain cap for my gen 1 Smobot. Simple install, extremely cheap in price and in my opinion worth it in the peace of mind department.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    yumdinger said:

Great idea, a little redneck, but works.  Thanks
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    HeavyG said:
    yumdinger said:

Which makes it that much better!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

yumdinger said:
    HeavyG said:
    yumdinger said:

That's redneck????  This is how I roll........

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I have a controller but went back to manually controlling as it is more fun and I can tell what is happening and adjust as I desire.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • ckovel
    Options
    i realize this is an older post. I have been using a smobot for years. I tried the flameboss as well. Heres what I would say: the flameboss gets the heat up in the egg fast with its fan. As others have said, it can overshoot the temperature and there is a lot more baby sitting than with the smobot. With the smobot, its really a set it and forget it. i've run over night low temperature cooks with no problem using the smobot. However, getting the egg up to temp faster that flameboss does shine in that one instance. you could really cook with both.