Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A floating egg table

Options
I was researching fences on Houzz, and became distracted by...
a floating egg table ! 

Is this safe? 

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/north-oak-canyon-modern-patio-austin-phvw-vp~2670265

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'm guessing that the expansion of the base would cause it crack all around and fall off.
    I'd love to test that theory. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I noticed the handle on that Egg is pretty small, this is probably an older picture. I remember seeing this posted 5 or 6 year ago with the same responses as @HeavyG gave. 

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    You are loading the bottom half of the Egg in tension.  Not a good idea with a brittle ceramic.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    you could easily fabricate some kind of arm behind the egg with a thin disk to support it so it would only be an illusion. For a small egg, it would work, very similar to the "floating person trick" but with the support inverted.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Even if it had some kind of hidden support, it gives me the heebee-jeebee's.  I couldn't use it...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That egg’s not even lit.  Must be a gasser nearby for cooking those kabobs.  And they mixed the meat and veg on the same skewer, who are these people?
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Agreed.  

On the good, it's an easy design mistake to fix...  
    Just needs something sturdy under the egg to move it skywards 2 inches so that the sides aren't being constricted. 

ex: Mirror the end cap piece design.  (pictures beyond the link)
    Have the same concrete person who did the end cap create a round base to go under the egg.  Add an air gap on top via stainless steel.  

Though the design of that side of just not right.   Whoever sits in that chair right next to the egg is eventually going to burn their knee on the egg's base while it's hot in use or after.  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    Options
    Legume said:
    That egg’s not even lit.  Must be a gasser nearby for cooking those kabobs.  And they mixed the meat and veg on the same skewer, who are these people?
    Hard to  tell, appears all veg to me
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hard to  tell, appears all veg to me
    You, Sir, are a buzzkill. However, all veg and no meat to be found.  In Texas.  This person is still borderline criminal.