Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick & Simple Chicken Thighs

Options
joshpounds90
joshpounds90 Posts: 38
edited July 2020 in Poultry
Did a little reverse sear action on four bone-in, skin-on thighs we had in the fridge. First, I patted dry and liberally kosher-salted the skins before placing the thighs skin-side up on a wire rack sheet pan in the refrigerator. I would say they were in there for six hours or so, but this can be done overnight (I think I've read somewhere in here that this can be done for several days in advance? Maybe that only applies to a whole bird? Eggheads?).

About twenty minutes before my egg was preheated (450F-500F), I pulled the thighs out of the fridge and rubbed them with Dizzy Dust.

After a quick spray of canola on my grate, I seared them skin-sides down for about three minutes with the lid closed. Pic below is just before closing the lid.
After searing the skins, I pulled the thighs and removed the grate. I added my Conveggtor with the legs down to give myself a bit more height and then threw the grate back on. I then placed the thighs back on the grate and closed the lid, allowing the dome temperature to come to 275F-300F, and resumed cooking for about 45-50 minutes, until the internal temperature of the thighs reached 160F. Forgot to get a pic of them before removing them from the grill...sorry! Final plating below:

All in all, they turned out really great. Served with homemade slaw and roasted zucchini. You'll have to excuse the BBQ sauce on the plate in the photo (it's my fiancée's!)... they DID NOT NEED IT! Looking back, the only thing I would've done differently is give myself more time to go lower (say, 225F) and slower (1.5 hours+) in order to get an even crispier skin. But I'm not complaining.
Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments