Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT My son (married and a one year old) wants a pellet grill ($700-800 top spend); inputs welcome OT

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,464
    Options
    @Canugghead- many thanks and an early Happy Canada Day (aka Dominion Day in my youth) to all in the GWN.  See ya Friday night??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,567
    Options
    Thanks Cap, probably won’t make, something came up.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JJensen said:
    I’d say get a pitboss over a Traeger. Traeger isn’t what it used to be and basically over priced made in china stamped metal. Pit boss is made in China or Canada and cheaper with a better warranty.  

Cons are having to plug them in and augers jamming from humidity soaked pellets. 

They are not as set it and forget it as people say. Maybe to a charbroiled side smoker sure but to the egg it’s not even close. Temps fluctuate constantly, you have to be mindful of your pellets and if they aren’t stuck in the hopper and “tunneling”. That’s a disaster waiting to happen there 

pros are they are easy to operate just need to be babied and cleaned out a lot more often 

if honestly stay away from one. I’m never going back I know that 

I have heard this as well. I've heard the pellets don't flow well even in humid weather and forget cooking in the rain altogether. I've never really wanted one but when I read all this, I really didn't want one. I don't even love the fact that my KBQ has electronics on board but it's still a much more hands-on cook than a pellet pooper (or an egg for that matter). Pellet cookers and Joetisserie are on my no-fly-list. For now :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    As humid as my climate is I had better avoid pellet poopers. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    As humid as my climate is I had better avoid pellet poopers. 
    unless you empty the hopper and auger after every cook, a PITA  =)
    canuckland
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I bought a Traeger from Costco (the Silverton - made for them) must have been built on a friday. Had troubles with it the entire time I owned it. Traeger was good about it, they threw parts at it without question. But in the end the temp swings were too much (170*) and I sold it.

Replaced it with a RecTec 300 (now they make the 340) Cant say enough good about it!!! Their customer service is great too. Igniter went out, bought one online but I didn't know the previous owner upgraded it to the ceramic, also broke off a set screw on the fire pot, RT took care of me even though Im not the orig owner.

Its back up and running and the PID controller is spot on and doesn't vary more than 5-10* temp.

Lots of good pellet grills out there. Buddy has a Camp Chef and loves his.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    My son got a Louisiana Grills LG900 with a cold smoker box for $599 at Costco, although that was a couple years ago. Still going strong. I think they sold for over $1000 elsewhere. Not sure if they still carry it. I believe Dansons makes both Louisiana Grills and Pit Boss.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Canugghead
    Options
    Hey cap, how's your son's RecTec?
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,464
    Options
    @Canugghead - he and his wife really like it.  Turns out great food and the ability to monitor fire and forget and manage the cook process remote is a big plus for them.  
    I have had great butts, chix and ribs off the rig.  No regrets.  
    Thanks for asking.  I would endorse any time.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Good to know cap, thanks. Will keep that in mind down the road. 
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Cap, gave it up for more Q(uality) time with family!

Edit: Our son and son in law each bought their first house (this year and last year respectively), neither of them wants a free egg. One bought a Weber gasser; the other got a Weber gasser with the house and I found him a used Traeger.
    Can’t give an Egg away? What is wrong with your family?! 😉
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Cap, gave it up for more Q(uality) time with family!

Edit: Our son and son in law each bought their first house (this year and last year respectively), neither of them wants a free egg. One bought a Weber gasser; the other got a Weber gasser with the house and I found him a used Traeger.
    Can’t give an Egg away? What is wrong with your family?! 😉
    Haha. Actually SIL built a supplemental wood fired pool heater this summer with an old gasser, coil of copper pipe, hoses and pump. He seems to enjoy live fire now,  ummm..egg denier remorse? =)
    canuckland