Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone (med egg)

Options
smalljaws
smalljaws Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has any one had success using the Lg egg pizza stone (14" I believe) in the medium egg? By success I mean can you use the 14" stone for high temp (550-650)cooks without frying your gasket. I recently bought a cheap stone (14") that made it through three cooks before cracking and during those cooks my lower gasket was completely fried. Not just hard and black fried, but gone fried! I now need a new stone and would like a 14" stone, but not if means I won't have a lower gasket.[p]Thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Smalljaws,
    I fried my gasket on a large by using a 16" stone. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smalljaws,
    from what i've read here, it seems that using a stone at grid level that is only slightly smaller than the grill dimension itself MIGHT be what helps fry the gasket. if the stone is at gasket level, a stone that size (14" on a 15" grill) leaves little room around the rim for heat to make its way from the firebox and out the vent. maybe it even directs radiant heat laterally too, into the rim/gasket area.[p]i'd think you'd have an issue getting enough draft to get up to high temps with a stone almost as big as the grid. but if you can, and the stone is at or near the level of the gasket, that may be why it toasts. the difference between makers of the stone (BGE vs, say, Pampered Chef) won't cause gaskets to sear. ...the BGE stone is made (I think) from the same material as the egg, while i don't believe the PC one is. my pampered chef stone cracked, and i know others here have had theirs crack too. the BGE stone doesn't have that reputation.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    AZRP,
    see my post above... (if you want to, i mean).[p]was there a thread a while back where the consensus seemed to be that a stone nearly as big as the grill itself, and at or near the rim/gasket level, was one way the gasket might get toasted? ...tryna remember.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Smalljaws,[p]med. BGE, 14" stone at rim, 3 pizzas, upper and lower burned gaskets.[p]gdenby
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    stike,
    Yes, about a year ago. -RP

• smalljaws
    Options
    Stike,[p]My setup has been plate setter legs down on cooking grate, BGE feet on plate setter and pizza stone positioned on the BGE feet. This setup places the stone above the bottom rim of the egg. No problem getting up to temperature, I can easily pin the thermometer after a 30 min warm-up. It maybe that the diameter of the 14” stone is simply too large and as you suggested forces the heat out laterally. Maybe if the stone was higher in the dome it wouldn’t force the heat out the gasket? [p]
  • stike
    Options
    smalljaws,
    except the dome gets smaller the higher you go.[p]why not just a 12" stone? or a larger egg! ...there's a good excuse to buy another!

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    FWIW,[p]After looking at the dome and inside of the egg more when I was doing the rutland gasket, I now know that grease coming out of my turkey that was at gasket-level is what caused 3-4" of mine to fry.
  • 13an07-020.jpg
    <p />Smalljaws,[p]i keep seeing the same two posts about fried gaskets and broken pizza stones.[p]1. the medium big green egg should use the 12" pizza stone. the 14" pizza stone directs the hot air from the coals directly at the gasket and fries it. see my medium egg above with the 12" pizza stone and notice how much room there is between the edge of the pizza stone and the inside edge of the egg. [p]2. it seems "other" brand pizza stones always break. big green egg pizza stones do not break. everyone says not to put a cold pizza stone or plate setter in a hot egg. i do it all the time. not in a trex 700 degree egg, but a 200-300 degree egg, no problem. most of the time, after a meat cook, i'll make some kind of bread product and i'll have to add the plate setter and pizza stone to a warm egg, then let is blast up to 400 degrees and put on the dough.

• smalljaws
    Options
    Yeah, I am not surprised that my pizza stone broke or that my gasket got fried, I too have read the posts. I have also seen where the 14" stone is recommended as the perfect stone on TNW's site http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

So I guess I am looking for those who are successfully using the 14" stone on their medium egg so I can replicate their setup. The 12" stone is nice, but if I can make it work I would much prefer the larger stone.
  • smalljaws
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Yeah, I am not surprised that my pizza stone broke or that my gasket got fried, I too have read the posts. I have also seen where the 14" stone is recommended as the perfect stone on TNW's site http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm [p]So I guess I am looking for those who are successfully using the 14" stone on their medium egg so I can replicate their setup. The 12" stone is nice, but if I can make it work I would much prefer the larger stone. [p]UGH, Not trying to double post, but why can't you post on one site and have it show up on the other? Actually why are there two sites, why not one site with the ability to use differnt views?

• smalljaws,
    when i bought my egg, i said "and a pizza stone" and he got me the 12". also, the big green egg site says this:
    Ceramic Flat Pizza Baking Stone, 14" Dia [L] BS
    Ceramic Flat Pizza Baking Stone, 12" Dia [M] BS12 [p]that's all i know. that's all i have. that's all i can say.[p]let the posts of burnt gaskets guide you.