Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A5 Wagyu at My Costco

Options

Found these at Costco. $99/lb.  frozen 1/2 inch A5 Wagyu steaks.  Cooked the one with a little less marbling.

Quick 10min defrost in ice cold water and these were ready for the Blackstone.  Seared for a couple minutes on each side.... and damn!i

I once had Wagyu at a steakhouse in Vegas when I was in my 20’s and don’t really remember the taste....I wasn’t sober....spent $150 on a 4oz steak...wasn’t the worst decision on that trip...but I digress 

I can describe the taste as steak flavored butter.  The mouthfeel is incredibly buttery and the bite has just enough resistance to be super enjoyable.  My family of 4 shared that steak as an appetizer as a couple of pieces each and you’re good.   Really rich.  

Had a bit of soy and some salt to dip the pieces in.  Consensus was a tiny dip of salt was best.  

For me.  This is a one time splurge.  I’m probably good for another 20 years.  For the price, I woulda rather bought a ribeye primal and dry aged the sucker.  But damn,  everyone needs to try this at least once.  Enjoy the pics!  And a bonus pic of my favorite beer! Cheers 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Dude.....

Awesome. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    That is going big right there.  Great write-up and nailed the finish.  Impressive.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You treated that steak with mad respect! Looks amazing.

I've only tasted A-5 a  very few times and I agree that's it's super rich.

Small doses are best. It's almost a novelty item. 

Nice post!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    Good Lawd!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Awesome Post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DocObbins
    DocObbins Posts: 28
    Options
    Looks beautiful!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    DAYUM
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Beautimus!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options

Quick 10min defrost in ice cold water and these were ready for the Blackstone. 

ATK says to go straight from the freezer to the grill, but I don't know if I would try it with something as expensive as this.  I would probably try sous vide first.
    Raleigh, NC
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Wow, nailed that finish!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Can’t beat that, beer looks good too 🍻 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    What section are these being sold in at Costco?  Frozen meats?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Man, that cook looks amazing!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    But dear I could have sworn that said $13.99.  That would be my play
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I wonder what it would task like, if you thick sliced it and fried like bacon?  I bet it would be amazing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    I think you have a bacon problem @Ozzie_Isaac
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think you have a bacon problem @Ozzie_Isaac
    I agree.  I only have 1 pack in the fridge!
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    cssmd27 said:

This stuff was in an open freezer same design and adjacent to where they sell raw refrigerated poultry and raw refrigerated fish.  Other things that were in the same open freezer were bags of frozen scallops, bags of frozen shrimp, 10lb boxes of king crab legs.

Not sure around where you are, but it seems the interior layout of my Costco changed during covid. these frozen items were normally in the upright freezer section, with the frozen fish fillets, etc. although this was the first time ever I had seen Wagyu steaks.  

Hope this helps! 
  • the_crease
    Options
    I wonder what it would task like, if you thick sliced it and fried like bacon?  I bet it would be amazing.

I just might try it with the other steak in the two pack! 

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, no.  As John would say, Full stop. 😀 

I’d have a hard time cooking $100/lb meat into oblivion. Although thats exactly how my dad would insist on.  I imagine there wouldn’t be much left after the fat is rendered.  

But then again, based on that one glorious pic of cooking bacon on  @Ozzie_Isaac infamous bacon thread, maybe you could work some magic here? 

cheers! 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    cssmd27 said:

This stuff was in an open freezer same design and adjacent to where they sell raw refrigerated poultry and raw refrigerated fish.  Other things that were in the same open freezer were bags of frozen scallops, bags of frozen shrimp, 10lb boxes of king crab legs.

Not sure around where you are, but it seems the interior layout of my Costco changed during covid. these frozen items were normally in the upright freezer section, with the frozen fish fillets, etc. although this was the first time ever I had seen Wagyu steaks.  

Hope this helps! 
    Helps a lot!  Thanks!  I just haven't had time to make it by mine to see if they are carrying it.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    @the_crease Where are you at in So Cal? I assume San Diego by your avatar but the steak came from Brea up near my hood. 

Awesome cook, BTW. 
  • the_crease
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    @the_crease Where are you at in So Cal? I assume San Diego by your avatar but the steak came from Brea up near my hood. 

Awesome cook, BTW. 

Yea north San Diego area near some pretty sweet singletrack at PQ/Del Mar Mesa 😉 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Cornholio said:

Awesome cook, BTW. 

Yea north San Diego area near some pretty sweet singletrack at PQ/Del Mar Mesa 😉 
    Rad! I’d be down for a tour. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Great post!   I'd totally try that if I saw it.  Looks amazing.  I'll put it on my bucket list lol