Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hominy and Zucchini

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I was gifted the newest Perini Ranch Steakhouse cookbook. I tried the hominy and green chili recipe. I kicked it up a notch my nixtzmilizing dried corn from Masienda and making my own hominy (it’s actually easy). This recipe has hominy, green chilies, onion, bacon, and cheese - so it has to be good. 
Then I made Zucchini Carpaccio from the cookbook. Dayum y’all - that is good. Made with zucchini straight from the garden. Roasted potatoes and a pork tenderloin (with a splash of fermented hot sauce) rounded out the meal. Going to have some friends over on Friday so this was a test drive of the new recipies. 

Zucchini from the garden.

Nixtamilized blue corn.

Used the wood oven for potatoes and hominy and the large for the pork tenderloin. 

Hominy and green chili and zucchini carpaccio. 

Thanks for looking y’all. This took a little planning but was actually an easy meal to execute. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice cook sir!  You are most definitely on a roll 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    I love your posts.  Wish I had your talent.

I grew up in Abilene.  If you haven't already, try the Zucchini Perini recipe. One of my favorites!
  • SciAggie
    @Mattman3969 Thank you. The fresh zucchini and homemade hominy were definitely the stars of the meal. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @chays99 Thanks. We enjoy the zucchini Perini too. 
    Don’t know about the talent part. I picked up much of what I know from hanging out here with the forum miscreants...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    beautiful cook. Thanks for sharing
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    great eats, right there. 
    I’ve got to try that zucchini carpaccio. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    You had me at Nixtamilized blue corn hominy, but that pork tenderloin and sauce just put that meal out of orbit. Love the way you combine things to create a wonderful meal. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Great cook and post as always
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Awesomeness.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Just Gawjus. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Excellent cook. My grandmother used to make homemade hominy many years ago. In the south, hominy was made using Red Devil Lye. We didn't know anything about Nixtamalization. The Red Devil Lye never killed anyone, and It did a really job removing the kernel husk.
  • Moar veg!

Beautimus cook, as some like to say.