Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Shoulder / Carnitas

Options
joshpounds90
joshpounds90 Posts: 38
edited June 2020 in Cookbook
Fairly new BGE owner. I have a medium egg and used my conveggtor to indirect slow smoke this for pulled pork / carnitas tacos we made.

The rub is a combo of chili, onion & garlic powders, cumin, cayenne, cracked black pepper, kosher salt, and light brown sugar. 20 min. before the egg was at temp, the rub was applied and pressed firmly into the pork.

Brought the dome temp. to between 250-300F and put the pork shoulder fat cap down on the grate. After 4 hours, I inserted my probe thermometer and resumed cooking until internal temp reached 170F (about 3 more hours).

Once internal temp was at 170F, I pulled the pork and double wrapped it in aluminum foil + poured a mixture of Crystal hot sauce, finely chopped garlic, fresh squeezed lime juice, apple cider vinegar, & honey into the packet for extra flavor.

Stuck my probe back in and resumed cooking at 275-300F until internal reached 200F. Pulled and wrapped it in a towel and sealed it in my Yeti to rest for 1.5 hours (could’ve gone up to 3).

We ended up shredding most of it and saving some in the juices in a sealed container in our fridge.
The shredded pork we used for carnitas tacos was broiled for a few minutes for added crispness (looking back now this was unnecessary and probably dried it out a bit?) and then fresh lime juice squeezed over it before serving.

All in all, turned out really flavorful and moist and I wouldn’t change anything about the cook itself (other than NOT broiling before using for tacos after the smoke). THE BARK IS INCREDIBLE!!!!

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments