Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder - Wrapping Question

RickRobo
RickRobo Posts: 9
I have been wrapping my pork shoulders with foil to get through the stall. The last shoulder I did, it was juicier than a peach and juices pooled out of the foil wrapping, made a mess everywhere. Apparently I didn't wrap it well. I recently watched a video where someone place the shoulder in a foil tray and then wrapped the meat and the tray together. I thought this was a creative way to deal with the juices and cleanup. 

Most smoking instructions I have watched or read advise to wrap the pork with foil tight. Would there be any negative affects wrapping the pork and the tray together? 

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2020
    No harm in "wrapping" in a pan and many people do it that way, but I still prefer foil to save space. Just make sure you're wrapping in 2 layers of heavy-duty foil if you're having trouble with spills. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never wrapped. Once I tried turbo (320°), there was no stall.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I don't wrap either. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I turbo- half on grid, half in DO then I shred it in the DO with the runoff.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Would there be any negative affects wrapping the pork and the tray together? 
    The purpose of wrapping to get through the stall is to eliminate (as much as possible) evaporation from the butt. This changes the balance between heat gain and evaporative cooling.  Tight wrapping is important for this.  Air space around the butt allows for continued evaporation so placing the butt in a pan and then covering will not be as effective.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    I never wrap.  That does mean you deal with a stall, but I wrapped once and did not like the softer bark.  Haven't wrapped a butt in 10 years.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
     I have always wanted to achieve maximum flavor when smoking meat. The moment you wrap with foil, adding additional smoke flavor to the meat is finished, not to mention foil destroys bark, and prevents any further bark formation.
    I don't wrap often, but when I do, I use the pink paper at the end of the cook. I sometimes place the finished wrapped butts in disposable foil pans. I use the pink paper because it doesn't trap moisture.