Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy wheel starting to rust

Options
Daisy wheel wasn't working very well last month so I gave it a deep cleaning. Now it's starting to rust! Anything I can put on it to stop the rusting?

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I skipped the oil part and put it in the egg right on the coals for thirty minutes or so before shutting it down every now and then. Seems to keep it free. 
  • BGEmang
    BGEmang Posts: 9
    Options
    putting the wheel on the coals doesn't seem right to me. interesting.
  • DaBudDawg
    DaBudDawg Posts: 28
    Options
    That is what I do as well

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    I always put it in egg when I’m done cooking and close the vents.  It cooks the grease off it and it stores out of the elements. Not a speck of rust in 9 years 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    So you take the time to remove grid and/or platesetter to drop the DW down in the coals?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    With the medium I used to just put it on the grill, close the lid and vent, and put on the snuff cap. With the large I now have the new style cap and it hasn’t had time to rust yet.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Options
    As per everyone else, lob it the beast after your cook and with the snuffer up top. It will get a bit caked after a long cook but a nice hot run through solves that. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I work hard on my patina.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • CPFC1905
    Options
    I'll take the wagger and snort it through a small pack, then dump on the humpty.  Little heat and it's frackin like a doo-little, sometimes I'll add some plant fat from the gristle mill, but usually ain't no butter like the peanut.  All said, the smokers gone fair to be swaggin on the brick brack.

Plant fat?  Are you having a giraffe? Straight in and it’s sweet as.  Not like old soppy nuts over here. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    So you take the time to remove grid and/or platesetter to drop the DW down in the coals?
    I use a rotisserie some so I dump it in after. The temps aren't extreme. Otherwise it's as needed. I also store it 100% of the time in the egg. I don't have a nice gloss, but I don't have rust either. I think I got the idea from cooking off rust on pans and cast iron. 
  • nolaeggheads_squirel
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    I'll take the wagger and snort it through a small pack, then dump on the humpty.  Little heat and it's frackin like a doo-little, sometimes I'll add some plant fat from the gristle mill, but usually ain't no butter like the peanut.  All said, the smokers gone fair to be swaggin on the brick brack.

Plant fat?  Are you having a giraffe? Straight in and it’s sweet as.  Not like old soppy nuts over here. 
    That ain't even wrong.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

That ain't even wrong.
    What are you guys smoking? It aint Hickory!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • danlbrown
    danlbrown Posts: 84
    Options
    interesting conversation. Just joined despite having an egg that I use numerous times a week for about 9 years. First time on and I learn what the snuff cap is about. I’ve had it stored in my grill box and just leave the daisy wheel on. No problem with rust but some built up grease. Will have to try storing it in the grill and using the snuff cap
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options

I just sent the body of this post to Ms. B and asked if she could guess the poster?  She got it on the first guess.....I love this forum! 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• CPFC1905
    Options
    @nolaegghead .....

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 2
    Options
    It really depends on how much rust you have.  If it’s a speck or a small area, take a wire brush to it, and then follow the instructions above.  In my case, I neglected the daisy wheel for several years until it was completely covered in rust, inside and out.  I debated pitching it, but decided to try a rust remover. I bought GOO GONE rust remover, placed the Daisy Wheel in a plastic tub just big enough to hold it, and sprayed it liberally with the remover.  Then I waited 15 minutes and rinsed it. That took care of a lot of the rust.  I sprayed it again, waited 30 minutes, rinsed, and that took care of most of the rust. Another generous spraying and a 15 minute wait, another rinse, and I was left with a small speck of rust that I took care of with a wire brush.  Then I sprayed it with PAM and put it in the oven at 500F, and an hour later had a deep black Daisy Wheel that looked like new.  I’ve been using it ever since, placing it on the grill when I’m done cooking, using the ceramic cap to shut it down. Note: the Daisy Wheel loves fat/oil and extremely high heat, so just indulge it regularly.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I can't believe I am the first to mention this.  Rather than repair the daisy wheel, why not ditch it and migrate to either a Smokeware cap, or the new and improved rEGGulator.  The Egg world has moved on.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Thanks for resurrecting this.  I missed it the first time around. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Daisy goes in the egg on the grate after a cook. 

Residual heat drives off any moisture (no rust), and the soot and fat protect it further. 

Fat doesn’t build up, because excess fat just runs off with the heat as well. 

Throwing it in the coals burns off everything, leaving you with bare metal that is susceptible to rust. Unless you keep tossing it in the coals. Bit of a circle. Not sure the logic. 

Bonus to just storing it in the egg as it cools down is that the soot and fat build up a bit. When you are using it to control temps, that gives it a little resistance to leaking (draft), or spinning (losing your setting) when you open the lid. 

As soon as they have a better option, I’ll buy it. 

Been waiting twenty years though. 

Still puzzled by how much trouble people have with the thing

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Done this twice: sandblasting. It works 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.