Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Review of Drawings for feedback/ideas on 2 Egg Table/Cabinetry

Options
Hi all,

I'm having some cabinetry made for my Large BGE and MiniMax. Anticipating that both will go on table nests (with possible firebrick underneath of that). I have an outdoor built-in fridge that will go in right side. 42" hood vent will be mounted above the eggs, so I wanted to have them together centered in the middle. 

Any other thoughts ideas on the design of this? 

This cabinet will be up against a wall, so the one thing I wanted to point out to who's helping make it is that the large BGE needs depth clearance when the top opens up all the way so was planning on making the entire depth be 33" which I think should give me plenty of clearance to open lid fully without bumping into wall behind it. 

Trying to finalize all of this in next 24-48 hours so greatly appreciate any feedback! (Triangles are representing the two Eggs). Likely Soapstone as the countertop finish. 

Comments

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    Options
    hard to tell from your drawing how large the egg openings are. also, how tall are you/any others that will use it? I am 6'3" and thought 34in was way short. I hate having to hunch down. I made my outdoor egging table 36in and it makes a difference.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Shocka1
    Shocka1 Posts: 17
    Options
    @speed51133 Thanks for chiming in and good question. I'm 6'0. The table height was going to be around 33 but I think the grill surface was  going to be about another 3" up making the actual grill surface be about 36" as well. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Do you already have the plan for running electricity for the fridge? I would add an outlet in front for plugging in any accessories for grilling. I would also add an outlet to the side of the island for yard stuff.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Shocka1
    Options
    @speed51133 great additional points. Working with contractor for building out this space now so was going to for sure keep in mind the fridge outlet behind that space. Good idea to potentially either mount an outlet on the side of cabinetry, either hidden in a cabinet - possibly could have it hidden right behind the piece of trim running directly under the countertop for the large egg.  
  • mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    Options
    I have an old large egg with a new hinge.  Including pictures with a tape measure, so you can see what part of the egg is where.  My surround is 35" front to back.  The hinge is a little flexible, so the act of opening the hinge will probably push the top back an inch or two temporarily before resting where my photos show.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • Shocka1
    Options
    @mpenacho - this is amazingly helpful! Thank you for taking the time to measure this and send to me. My guess is that with the damper on the top, it might be another inch or so further than the ceramic cap, but this is definitely great to see. Looks like you have a little over 4" from the front of the table to where your cutout is for the Egg - sound about right? 
  • mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    Options
    I have a little over 4" in front, yes.  It's just getting a little too dark for photos, but I put my daisy wheel on and it really doesn't sit any farther back than my ceramic.  Ditto for the new style top I have on my other egg.  With the new style top, you can also set it up so it pivots forward and not back.
    LBGE, XLBGE