Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Modular Nest System

Has anyone had experience with this set-up

Asking for a review

Thank you - mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• Wolfeman
    Wolfeman Posts: 18
    I've had a Large BGE for 10+ years now and just ordered an XL last Thursday. After looking at the modular table online and in person, I pulled the trigger on one of those as well.

I told my dealer I still wasn't sure how I wanted to set up the table as far as which inserts yet (wood, steel, etc.) because I have seen some pics online where people have had granite cut to fit and I want to get a price on that. If I don't go granite, I'll likely get the stainless top for ease of cleaning and using it as a food prep surface.

I'm looking forward to the bigger cooking surface of the XL and more shelving on the new table.
  • Tracebuzta
    Tracebuzta Posts: 23
    Looking good! 

I have the same setup... Very happy with it :-)
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Thank you for the information and the photos. Your set up looks very good.
    Two Questions: 1) How many extra brackets did you use and 2)How many could you have used?
    Thank you - MrToad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Wolfeman
    Wolfeman Posts: 18
    I'm assuming you are talking about the connector kit included with the expansion table. It comes with six connectors and I used all six. There are two holding the tops together and two in the front and back. I don't really see how you could use any more than that. 
  • NUMB_LOCK
    NUMB_LOCK Posts: 1
    Extremely happy with my set up. And obviously would buy the modular nest again. The only challenge is if you start connecting them in an L shape, it would be difficult to find a cover for it so I left mine as in the picture and bought 2 covers at the "Coverstore" online. The modular cabinet uses phillips head screws where the others nests are all hex key screws and found I needed more time when connecting the cabinet to another nest. Be sure to get a 5mm hex drill bit to make your life easier when assembling. When connecting nests to each other, getting them aligned is easier if you have an extra hand.
  • Wolfeman said:
    Picked up my Egg and Modular Table today. Extremely happy with it. I had thought about having granite cut to fit but I decided to just go with the stainless top. I thought I would post some pictures that I don't normally see so that people can see more views of the table that aren't normally seen. There isn't as much support for the top inserts as there are for the bottom inserts. I also added some gasket material where the egg sets after seeing this done at my local dealer. Luckily I had some extra leftover from a gasket change on my Large Egg. 

I am seriously considering the stainless inserts, but the price scares me... Your thoughts? 
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    Wolfeman said:
    I am seriously considering the stainless inserts, but the price scares me... Your thoughts? 
    They are pricey buy I love mine. Nice to be able to put hot **** on it and not worrying, and very easy to clean. I'd get them again for the tops (wood on middle and lower)
  • Go have them made, or get a granite/quartz remnant made......either will probably be cheaper than the Chinese stuff you're going to get otherwise.
  • marcdc said:
    Wolfeman said:
    They are pricey buy I love mine. Nice to be able to put hot **** on it and not worrying, and very easy to clean. I'd get them again for the tops (wood on middle and lower)
    I agree the stainless top is excellent and gets a lot compliments from guests.  Here is mine:

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • BGE told me that the stainless insert is solid steel... Funny :-)
  • I had a granite top cut for mine, I have a buddy who owns a shop. 
  • ebux12 said:
    I had a granite top cut for mine, I have a buddy who owns a shop. 
    That looks great.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • kydsid
    kydsid Posts: 4
    Anyone with the casters for the modular able to measure the thread count?  Looks like a 3/8 x 1" stem.  I'd guess 16 thread but would like a confirmation.