Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Packer Brisket

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Costco Prime. Took about 10 hrs with post oak at around 250, just S&P.  After the stall, Started to spritz (50/50 h2o & AC vinegar) the ends as they starting to get crispy.  Wrapped in butcher paper at about 180 when bark was dark (maybe could have waited longer) but I wanted to accelerate and eat sooner!  Pulled when thermoworks smoke therm said 198 in the point.  Rested 1hr in the butcher paper then sliced . . Got super confused about the grain as flat met the point, could have messed this up.

overall happy, but wondering why the fat didn’t all render out on top?  Poor trim maybe, I left too much fat? Also, I didn’t see the jello like “jiggle” when dropped on my finished brisket, so maybe I needed more time?  Some sliced cuts flopped over my finger & pulled apart super easy, others need a firm yank and ripped and a bit tougher to chew.  I Understand there is huge skill gap, so wasn’t expecting perfection, but it was fun cook, now excited for chili next!  Thoughts on what you hear & see?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• I’ve been since 2011, still haven’t tried a brisket . Looks great to my non-expert eye 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks like juicy perfection!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    It looks good. I am no brisket expert at all but I like to get mine to 205 or so. Temp is good but the real test is does it probe in different places like butter. It does sound like you pulled it a bit earlier. Just my 2 cents. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Great result for the first attempt.  I just sent you a PM that addresses all the issues/concerns you expressed above and may help with the next one.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tacomeat
    tacomeat Posts: 8
    Looks good to me. I did Malcolm Reed's brisket chili with my leftovers. Turned out amazing.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Hey! I think that looks great.

usually, the point can cook a lot longer and a lot hotter than you think. So, if you were getting more chewy from the flat, that may mean that it didn’t cook long enough?

The ultimate test is the probe, when you stick it into the brisket it should go in with zero resistance, like melted butter. literally.

personally, I start probing around 192 to 195, but everyone’s different. And every brisket is. Different.

your final product sure Did make me hungry, :-)

try again and let me know when the taste test is going to happen, I’ll be there :-) great job!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!