Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SpaceX Demo-2

GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
Who's watching? 

Not sure if any if our Florida crowd are there to watch it live.  If you are there in person let us know. I'd love to see some pictures. 

Best I can do is online. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Thanks for the reminder. Streaming the pre-game show now.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    What’s the big fuss about doing something that we did regularly over 50 years ago? 
  • SonVolt
    edited May 2020
    For one, if it doesn't blow up on live TV like it did when I was in 2nd grade and everyone in the classroom freaked, NASA will grant SpaceX permission to carry the general public into space and up to the Space Station.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    SonVolt said:
    For one, if it doesn't blow up on live TV like it did when I was in 2nd grade and everyone in the classroom freaked, NASA will grant SpaceX permission to carry the general public into space and up to the Space Station.
    Just more adventures for the billionaires of the world... 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    edited May 2020
    What’s the big fuss about doing something that we did regularly over 50 years ago? 

so we dont have to rely on russia to get our space force up there =) this project is moving so quick ive seen three design changes in making this rocket in six months, its actually and old design now thats launching
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    edited May 2020
    I love that private enterprise is now involved and it's a new launch vehicle that this country hasn't seen in decades. Not to mention it makes our space program self-reliant again. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited May 2020
    We are watching 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I remember launches being a big deal when I was a kid and they seemed to be an even bigger deal before my time. It’s been almost a decade since NASA sent a man into space so that’s creating the extra buzz around this one. Also the fact that Space X is teamed up with NASA adds to the big fuss. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I'm no weather man, but they aren't launching today
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    well ****
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    It's the right call, they have too much riding on the launch.  Plus now they get another Tesla commercial when the astronauts get on again.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Do they run the rocket by a supercharger first?
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Well, if you recall, Nasa faked the moon landing. Crazy how many people believe this today. Not sure if they think we never even made it to space, or that the world is even round, or that the planet is a few thousand years old....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Weather for a weekend launch, at the moment, only seems marginally better than today:

New launch dates for Crew Dragon

• Saturday, 3:22pm ET (Weather: 60% go)
    • Sunday, 3:00pm ET (Weather 60% go)

Add four hours for UTC.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    I love space but am not an expert ... so can someone tell me how the US government hasn’t been able to launch our own astronauts into space since the shuttle retired ? Are they basically contracting out to SpaceX to develop the tech or has NASA not been able to figure out a new vehicle themselves ? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited May 2020
    They don’t have a man approved vehicle. The government/industry are developing the new SLS heavy launch system but, it’s not ready yet and overkill for trips to ISS. 

It will be used to return to the moon and for a future trip to Mars. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I love space but am not an expert ... so can someone tell me how the US government hasn’t been able to launch our own astronauts into space since the shuttle retired ? Are they basically contracting out to SpaceX to develop the tech or has NASA not been able to figure out a new vehicle themselves ? 
    Because Obama gave that $$$ to his buddies in Iran and changed NASA’s mission to researching climate change. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    No one wants to give tax money to them to develop another disaster like the Space Shuttle program......the most useless and deadly space program to date.  They tried to come out with a Shuttle replacement by the early 2000's, but it never happened.  Lockheed X33.  Then the Orion.....never happened.  

Loved the Space Shuttle and the the history.....been to KSC several times and would watch the NASA channel for every launch and landing.  Unfortunately, the more you read the history, the more mind boggling the mismanagement, the design, the accidents and their aftermath, and all the other [near disasters] were, the more you'll never want to give NASA a dime to spend on developing anything on their own.  Hell, they had a whole shuttle launch facility built at Vandenburg they never used.

The Space Shuttle was cool like an El Camino.  But half airplane and half space ship.....not enough of either though. :(

• JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    thetrim said:
    Because Obama gave that $$$ to his buddies in Iran and changed NASA’s mission to researching climate change. 
    spaceforce to be in action soon.       that make simpletons like you happy.       they even have customize action suits included with trumps addled signature on sleeve.      make little boys brag maybe
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    About the long-range Mars deal: 
    I don't feel the juice that is fueling this fascination with humans in the deep space and Mars conversation.  Matter of fact, I find the whole  drive to send a human to Mars quite an undertaking that needs to be throttled back/terminated.
    The expense of engineering the human into the loop versus the robotics and rovers we can get there now is several orders of magnitude more expensive.  For what "value add?"  (I get that this is the NASA current and future funding stream but again, for what?)  
    Other than the bragging rights how much is it worth?  We can send all the sophisticated hardware we need to achieve all the science we want-other than the buzz factor.  And suppose as they are on "final approach" the metric versus English fail to conversion factor comes into play again...auger in.  
    Off the soap-box.
    I will be watching the scheduled launch Saturday.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2020
    Agree 100% Capt
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Not to be a contrarian but, would we still think the Earth was flat and the Sun rotated around us? There is value and learning to be had from exploration. 

And from a defense standpoint- we got to be king of the hill partly from lessons learned in the rocket arena. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Well, rumors are that a few of the "Flat-Earthers" have been lost due to going off the edge, attempting to comply with the 6 foot rule.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    I do have to admit that every time they talk about Bob and Doug this is the image that comes to mind... 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    edited May 2020
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

I feel like we need to get a big, blue exclamation point tag that we can use.
  • SonVolt
    Careful now or he'll shut down the twitters. 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    After obama killed the shuttle program the price of a seat on a Soyuz went up fourfold for American crew. It really saved the Russian program over the last decade, as the US was paying more for a single seat than the cost of an entire launch. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    rcone said:
    After obama killed the shuttle program the price of a seat on a Soyuz went up fourfold for American crew. It really saved the Russian program over the last decade, as the US was paying more for a single seat than the cost of an entire launch. 
    Obama was President in 2004? Huh.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    rcone said:

Bush cancelled it, here's the NASA press release.  It flew for 30 years, and it was a dangerous craft.  It was $450M per launch in the last days it flew.  Russia charges $86M per seat.