Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally, My Grilling Shed

Options
FarmerTom
FarmerTom Posts: 685
edited May 2020 in EggHead Forum
First, we finished processing the last of the 8 hogs yesterday.  Still have almost all of the bacon to slice and seal, but all the hard work is behind us.  My son is cooking lard and cracklings today.  We had a good group of neighbors involved in this and I think everyone enjoyed the project and is happy with all the pork they took home.
   Now for my grilling shed.  This has been on hold for about 4 years now, never seemed to have the time to start construction.  I finally made up my mind this spring that come hell or high water, this year it was getting built.  It's far from some of the beautiful grilling areas I see posted on here, but I'm very happy to finally have ALL of my grilling equipment and supplies together in one area.  No more gathering up stuff from 3 or 4 places to cook.  It fits well with the old out building it's attached to.  The siding is poplar that we had sawed from a big tree on our farm.  Some of the 1" boards are 20" wide.
   It is an addition to our old Meat House that sets about 20 feet behind our old house.  And I do mean old house.  It will soon be 200.  Built in 1830 by my great, great, great, grandfather. Built with brick fired here on the farm.  All the walls, even the interior are 12" thick plaster over brick.  Rewiring it when my grandmother passed was a real chore.  Had to cut groves down the walls, embed the wire and boxes, then plaster over.   It's been years since we hung any hams in the meat house, but I'm hoping to revive that again.  But we need to cure hams in the winter.  Requires cold weather to prevent spoilage, at least that's how my mother always did it. 
   So here's some pictures.  Once again, nothing elaborate, but it works well for me.  And even though we tried to repurpose and scrounge our junk for any materials that would work, the $$$$ still added up. 

My son in the foreground stirring the fat today to make lard.  The guy on the other side is our neighbor that guided the whole process and did most of the butchering. 

My M and XL housed in a stainless steel counter.  48" x 144" counter.  A good friend gave me the stainless sheet.  I owe him a brisket as soon as I can get a good prime one to Egg.  That is some tough stuff to cut.  I under sized the openings and then made radial cuts out to the proper size and bent the tabs down and under the 3/4" underlayment.  I got some Rutland gasket material from @RRP and adhered it around the opening.  It protects the eggs nicely from getting against the stainless.   I made rolling carts to hold my supplies.  I took metal off of some old silage wagons we had junked and welded up the frames.  We had a bunch of 8" lawn mower wheels so I welded 3/8" bolts to the frames to act as axles.  They roll under the egg support shelf which is covered with 1/4" aluminum.  I have a storm window at each end of the counter and two in front of the counter that I haven't yet constructed a system to open and close them without having to go outside.  There is a 16" exhaust fan in the end above the M.  If smoke begins to accumulate, I can turn it on and open the window on the opposite end and in a few seconds the smoke is gone.  My CyberQ and some of the egg tools I use most often are hung there by the eggs.  The floor is concrete.  There is a 4' sliding door on each end.

The other end of the counter.  I had said I wouldn't post any pics until I had everything put away.  But I decided I might never get to post anything if I waited until then.  The closest cart contains smoke wood chunks.  Front section is wild cherry and the middle is hickory.  All from trees on our farm.  The back was for some apple my son and I had cut for a neighbor, but it began to rot before I got it split.  So the third section now has some small bags of store bought wood I had on hand.  The back cart has my fish/deep frying equipment along with a propane tank.  It rolls under the counter and stores nicely.  I removed my Blackstone from its cart and made some short felt covered legs for it so I can slide it to the back when not in use and open up more counter space.  That's Fritzi in the doorway.  

I have a refrigerator and freezer, both are fairly stuffed with pork and beef and a little fish.  I acquired a stainless wash vat from and old dairy barn on a neighboring farm which the owner no longer wanted.  Works great.  Nice and big and deep.  I presently don't have hot water though it's easy enough to heat some with a pot and the propane burner.  Since this shed isn't heated, I have a frost proof hydrant in the front corner under the sink.  I can turn it off and open a valve and all the water will drain out so no frozen plumbing.  And I made storage overhead for items not often used.  I try to keep 5 or 6 bags of Rockwood on the shelf at the far end above the refrigerator. It's still more cluttered than I want and I'm deciding where I want items stored/hung as I get to use it.  

This is the end next to our house.  The meat house is in the middle and the far opening is a wood shed.  That's where my eggs had resided for some time after my wife requested I get them off the house porch.  There wasn't much room and it was very unhandy.  I still have some cleaning and straightening to do from the construction.  The water and electric service is buried along the front of these buildings and with all the rain we've been having, I haven't been able to reseed the ditch line.

And the last picture from the side away from our old house.  If you've made it this far, I want to see if anyone can guess what the covered cylinder is at the corner of my grilling shed, in front of my Polaris Ranger.  While I'm sure there are others somewhere, I have never seen another nor have I yet had any visitor guess correctly what it is.  
Thanks for reading about my new grilling shed.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
   1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    What a wonderful post, fabulous all the way around, thank you.
    I will take a chance at the round metal cover contest.  Given your avocation and that of your neighbors, it must not be related to that else they would have got it.  So I will offer up an old fallout shelter?
    Thanks again for the post, love it.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Dude
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    A grilling shed, don’t know why I never thought of that.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    dbCooper not a fallout shelter.   I live in the middle of nowhere.  I'm not sure radiation could even find us.  I will add that I'm not sure of it's depth.  I've never measured it.  But it's at least 8' deep.  And there is a mechanism of sorts inside it.  

Tommy 

1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Glad you surfaced.  What a great thread.  Great skill set and fortitude to design and then build and complete this project.  Impressive is an understatement.  Time for the new virgin cook post.
    I won't hazard a guess as to your cylinder.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

Thanks for that terrific thread! You have a one of a kind "egg shack" that is SUPER COOL!

I bet Fritzi is one of the best, well fed and HAPPIEST dogs in the world!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This is a terrific post. Thanks for sharing your story. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2020
    Options
    What a great idea. Looks like you thought of everything needed.

My guess on the cylinder is that it houses an outdoor sump pump (also called a dry well) used to relocate standing rainwater to a storm sewer.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • AnothaStolenGenrator
    Options
    Be sure to have State Farm on speed dial.

• seedman76
    seedman76 Posts: 19
    Options
    @FarmerTom, awesome post.  Congrats on finishing your "egg shack."  Love the pics and the story behind it.  Glad to see your appreciation for your farm and it's history.  As for the round cylinder, my first and only guess is a cistern where your well water would be stored before being pumped into your house.  I believe those are much more common than you describe so I'm probably incorrect.  My in-laws have one of their farm and it looks just like that.  Enjoy that "egg shack!"
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    seedman76 While we do have a well with the pump to bring up water, this isn't it.  I made a separate post this morning showing what it is.  Thanks for your interest.  

Tommy 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I love the cooking shack, so thanks for sharing the results of hard work and motivation!

Can you elaborate on the cooking shack concept? I'm not clear on how you mitigate the fire risk and smoke that charcoal grilling brings to a small wood structure? I have seen this in professional kitchens and there is usually a stainless hood up top with powered vent and a fire suppression system.  I do see the fan you have to the sides of the eggs, I suppose that is to keep airflow going during a cook.

Love the large stainless top next to the eggs.  Be nice to have such a large food prep area that's easy to use and clean.

8 hogs in one day! Damn.  That was some work I'm sure.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited May 2020
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
    ....This is all to point out that I’ve grown up ( I’m 65) managing heat and fire inside buildings and am comfortable as well as knowledgeable about it. Could an accident happen?  Sure. But I think I minimize the risk very well. My new grilling area has a stainless counter top.  The openings for the eggs are lined with metal and covered with a fire resistant material.  The shelf they sit on is covered with 1/4” aluminum.  The floor is concrete.  Yes it’s a wood structure so I’m careful and observant when firing the eggs.  And I check them often.   
        As for managing smoke, low and slow cooks produce very little.  Cracking a window at each end of the counter suffices.  But startup or cooking something like burgers does produce quite a bit.  Turning on the exhaust fan you see in the picture and opening a window on the opposite wall will clear a dense cloud of smoke in a few seconds.  One of the first things I checked to be sure it would manage the smoke.  With the fan running, you see the smoke stream rise and follow the air current out the exhaust.  Doesn’t spread around inside at all. 
    Thanks, Tom.  Like I said, I've never seen it before so was curious how everything is managed.  Interesting read.  Looks like a fine kitchen.
    Only thing I can add is, it would be nice to have some sort of alarm in the unlikely event that the bottom portion of an egg decides to explode during an unattended cook.  We've seen that posted on the forum in the past and it has taken down a deck or two. If you could get some alarm or remote notification, that would be ideal.
    Enjoy your new outdoor-indoor kitchen! I'm sure many good things will come out of that shack.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No surprise to me, now or ever. If you ever have the chance to meet Tommy, you are in for a treat. Great guy, and you feel like friend as soon as you see him.

Absolutely great post.

Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The cylinder......I have seen used a couple of ways, we had one outside the boys home in SE KY. 

It was used as a rain water cistern.

We had others which were basically in ground fire pits and covers for rubbish and trash to keep the animals out of it until full then burned.

We also had one where we stored our root vegetables as an outdoor root cellar. We grew much of what we ate...carrots potatotos and beets were kept there along with other items....

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    @YukonRon , I think you exaggerate a bit but I appreciate your kind words.  As for the cylinder, it would be right up your alley. A carbide gas generator from many years ago when our old house had gas lights.  I have a separate thread with more info and pics. 
    I hope that takes you to it.  

Tommy 

• FarmerTom
    Options

Tommy 

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Only thing I can add is, it would be nice to have some sort of alarm in the unlikely event that the bottom portion of an egg decides to explode during an unattended cook.  We've seen that posted on the forum in the past and it has taken down a deck or two. If you could get some alarm or remote notification, that would be ideal.
    Enjoy your new outdoor-indoor kitchen! I'm sure many good things will come out of that shack.

This is a great idea. What kind of alarm would that be?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I like everything about this shed. What a great place to cook. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    KiterTodd said:

This is a great idea. What kind of alarm would that be?

I have heat detectors in my shop.  They are immune to smoke, but if the temp goes above a certain threshold, say 150F, they trip.
    Options
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
    Very cool thanks for sharing 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pretty sweet set up right there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95