Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokware cap

Options
2»

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    They sell a cap that goes beneath the smokeware, it has a gasket on it and the diameter matches the chimney of the egg. Snuffs the fire out good. If it doesn’t, you have alignment or gasket issues below the chimney level. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I use it, and I can deal with the way it gets gunked up, but I was surprised at how flimsy it is. Accidentally dropped it once, about 4 feet onto concrete patio, and it got bent out of round so I had a devil of a time fitting it back on its base. Better now, but I've never been able to get it back to perfectly round. I'm actually thinking about going back to my old daisy wheel.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • PrivateJoker
    Options
    Yes I spoke to Matt who sent me out a second gasket.  I'd call Matt back again but it will have to be on Tuesday.  I was using the cap again yesterday.  The grill would not snuff out.  I could see smoke coming from the cap.  The cap was closed.   As I stated to Matt the gasket that they send does not appear to be very snug when you add the base to it. It doesnt fall off but can easily be knocked off. (Talking about the cap base)
  • kennethk
    kennethk Posts: 31
    Options
    I like the new BGE cap on my large
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Just finished using my SmokeWare cap. It’s on an XL. Zero issues maintaining temp between 250-275 for the 2 racks of ribs we just ate. Also had no issues snuffing my fire. Have not cleaned it since I’ve put it on. Doesn’t bother me
  • ZacAttack
    Options
    I also have the SmokeWare cap.  In just a couple cooks with it, I decided to order the flat cap to go with it.  Seemed like it let more air in when closed and was costing me charcoal since it wasn't snuffing it out like the stick BGE cap did.
    Charlotte, NC with an XL BGE and Acacia Table
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Personally, I have found the smokeware cap to be of zero benefit. Was gifted one so I tried it. I like the daisy wheel better hands down. You never have to clean it  beyond throwing it in the hot egg when shutting  it down. Ive never had issues with rain effecting my cook so that’s a non issue. Furthermore, the daisy wheel always looks the same but the smokeware cap looks good on the first day or every time you clean it. Then there is the issue of the rubber cap on the vent adjustment handle that always falls off or gets lost and when it’s not on there your fingers get burned making adjustments. Just a personal preference but mine is sitting in the garage . 
    I will say that the temperature control is just as good as the daisy wheel but not better. For same outcome I choose zero maintenance and burns. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic