Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking at the Felt Line

Options
I just ordered a PS Woo with grid extender and was wondering if you use this set up for most cooks? Do you sear on it too at the felt line or is it best to drop back down to the standard grid height for searing steaks etc?

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Hilton said:
    I just ordered a PS Woo with grid extender and was wondering if you use this set up for most cooks? Do you sear on it too at the felt line or is it best to drop back down to the standard grid height for searing steaks etc?
    I leave it at that height all the time. If your fire is hot enough it will easily sear at that level. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I like to drop it down for the sear - I try to get the steak engulfed in flames.   I’m about to buy a spider to get it even lower.  But lots of ways to skin a cat - you can do as @TEXASBGE2018 says.  A lot of folks move to a cast iron pan for the sear.  Some people will go caveman.  

Edit - to add, I think you will be really happy with the pswoo and extender - great product and very versatile.  Enjoy. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I leave mine at grid level too but if you wanna get a good sear, pull everything out and throw your steaks directly on the coals.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @shtgunal3 - Could not agree more. 
    @Hilton Give caveman a look for steaks thru the search function and try it.  "Takes all the worry out of being close." 
    I do run with the PS Woo and extender. It is great for about every cook you want to run with saving the high heat finish.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I generally cook with a half stone in (from CGS) and cook indirect 80% of the cook and then the last direct.  All at felt line.

I did reverse sear a bunch of steaks for Mothers day using two half stones indirect.  The PS Woo makes it easy to pull that all out, put the grid back at lowest level and then sear at higher temps.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.