Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Medium Egg has a crack. Would you get a mini-max or Large to replace it?

Options
Years ago I was given a used medium egg. Recently I noticed a crack going half across the bottom and up the back. Who knows how long it has been there and the crack on the back is only visible from the outside so it may just be the coating. I priced just replacing the base but the wife has begrudgingly agreed to let me get a new egg because of it! 

Even though the medium has been a little small for my family cooks it gets pretty steady use for pizza and wok cooking. I use my other larger smokers for my big cooks like turkeys, brisket, multiple butts, etc so I don't necessarily need bigger but the large still looks nice.

Basically I am torn between the Mini-max for the portability and the large for the versatility. Either way I figure I will need to buy new accessories/internals so that doesn't really come into play. I would like to reuse what I can if possible though. Looking at the specs of the mini-max it looks like I can cook the same size pizzas as my medium so I assume the current wok I use will work if I buy a new spider. Also with the mini-max I will need a new table so price runs close enough to the large. I'm looking for opinions on the pros and cons of both so in your opinion which of the two would you buy and why? Or would you just replace the base and call it a day? Thanks everyone.

Comments

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Options
    The thought has crossed my mind for sure. Honest truth though, I am out of space for new cookers unless we start removing porch furniture which would piss the wife off more than spending too much money.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I second the repair on the Medium.....then go for the XL.

Buy smaller porch furniture.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    My understanding is that the Large is BGE's biggest seller by far, and there are a number of good reasons for that.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I just went from a medium to a large. No complaints about the medium except for dimensions have changed since I got it and accessories are difficult to procure. So far the large doesn’t seem to use that much more lump. I bought a Cuna cart with wheels so my local portability has actually increased. Of course any accessories that you do have for the medium would be sunk costs.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    For me the choice between a large and mini max is really easy. It would be the large. My medium has always been my favorite egg so I would keep it. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I have an XL, large, medium, small, and a mini. The large is definitely my favorite. To me the minimax was just a gimmick to promote sales. The fire grate is too close to the grill. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    The only thing I would offer is to go to a dealer with a tape measure.  I don't own either Medium or MM but from those I have seen the dimensions look different.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Haan76
    Haan76 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have an xl and a mini
    td66snrf is right minigrid too close to fire for indirect cooking. Although mini is good for houseboat and camping 
    Go for large. 

• BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Options
    I have a MM and Large, the Large very rarely leaves the garage. I cook multiple times a week and travel around the country with my MM... That said I would miss the rotisserie function of the Large.

You could get both and ditch a smoker. I have plans to take the outlet of the MM and duct it to the inlet of the Large once my outdoor kitchen area is finished. I doubt you can beat that for a smoker...
  • BSR
    Options
    Haan76 said:
    I have an xl and a mini
    td66snrf is right minigrid too close to fire for indirect cooking. Although mini is good for houseboat and camping 
    Go for large. 

Absolute must have for the mini is the Woo Ring to fix that issue.
  • JustBuggin
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Interesting on the dimension changes. I never thought about that and mine is pretty old so thanks for that for sure. Overall it seems like a 50/50 mix for each and both have their pluses. I'll have to check the dimension issue then go from there I guess. 

As for the grid being close to the coals. I would think that would work good for the wok and pizza I generally cook on the egg. Can anyone speak to those types of cooks on the mini-max specifically?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get the large and not put money into the medium when the rest of it isn’t under warranty. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    If you are looking to cook like your medium, the mini max is not your egg.  I would go large in that case, if you must go small, I present my opinion.

The mini max is a larger mini (a fine egg, but limited capabilities), the small and medium are smaller versions of the large egg.  I used the small and mini max yesterday at the same time for two different items.  I cooked tri tip strips on a raised grid in my small egg with a small load of lump that was fully lit.  This separated the fire from the protein as much as possible, but I was still running at 600.  It developed a char, but it took 10 minutes to do so, allowing me to get the inside medium rare.  On the mini max. I cooked whole peppers and onions that I wanted to get a heavy char on, this was obtained easily on the mini max.  Keep in mind the mini max is a less capable small egg.  I can add a charcoal grid or kick ash basket from a mini max to a small egg (I have before), and it is now exactly like a mini max with the food right next to the lit charcoal.  I cannot however make the mini max perform like the small egg.

This leaves portability.  They weigh similar, and I could argue the small is easier to carry because I just belly hug the thing in the nest and pick it up.  It just seems easier to have the thing leaning against my chest as I walk.  I carried it 50 feet in the nest into my backyard a few weeks ago, no problem.  The mini max could be carried the same, but I always use the handles leaving the center of gravity low on me.  The choice is ultimately yours.  I chose between a small and mini max once and regretted selling the small for the mini max.

The only pic from yesterdays cook:

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I just upgraded my medium to an XL.  I'm keeping both. I was originally going for a large, but couldn't pass on a deal for an XL.

Given your choice, I would go large.  You'll find many more accessories for the large than your old medium, and it's nice to have more room
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Mini-max for the portability
    You realize it weighs over 75 pounds.  Not exactly the most portable grill. How often will you really lug that around?  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BSR
    Options
    Mini-max for the portability
    You realize it weighs over 75 pounds.  Not exactly the most portable grill. How often will you really lug that around?  

Mine's been all over the country, even Canada. I carry it myself plenty but it's super easy with two people. My large has never left my house. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Yes it is small enough to be portable. But for occasional use many would find it much easier to lug around one of the many 10-15 pound portable grills.  Not everyone is up to carrying that much weight just for a quick lunch at the park/beach etc. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Yes it is small enough to be portable. But for occasional use many would find it much easier to lug around one of the many 10-15 pound portable grills.  Not everyone is up to carrying that much weight just for a quick lunch at the park/beach etc. 
    In the Army, "portable" means anything you can weld a handle onto.  =)
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have a MM and use it quite a lot with a wok - it’s actually one of the reasons I got it. 
    I like it for the wok. Unlike @BSR I think I’ve traveled with mine once - I decided other cookers were more convenient to move and more versatile. 
    I don’t particularly like how close the platesetter is to the lump bed so I seldom cook indirect on my MM. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JustBuggin
    Options
    @cookingdude555 Great post there, thanks. After reading your post I went back and checked the dimensions at the BGE website. Guess I read them wrong because I was under the impression the medium and the MM had the same grid but now I see it is the small and the MM that match at 13". Not sure how I messed that up so thanks for pointing that out.

@SciAggie What size wok do you use? I use a 16" on a spider mount in the medium and it works great. It sticks over the top of the medium but I don't mind. Was hoping to keep the same size if I do go with a MM but based on my renewed size info I'm thinking my wok (and pizza size) wont fit and a smaller won't work for my wok cooking sizes.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @JustBuggin I use a 14" wok. I don't think a 16" would work in the MM.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    If I was looking for portability I wouldn't go with something that weighs 75 lbs. My opinion is a large would be best.  I have a medium and XL, so haven't experienced a large yet, but for me bigger is better.