Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Detroit Style Pizza

Options
Let me start by saying I have never eaten Detroit style pizza, and I have never even been to Detroit (except the airport which doesn't count).  But we saw something on the Food Network about Detroit style pizza and it looked good so we gave it a go tonight.  Heavily oiled the pan, spread out the dough, then a heavy layer of cheese to get the burned edges.  Then pepperoni, seasoned ground beef, and banana peppers.  Then topped with tomato sauce.  I added more sauce than is authentic because I like a saucy pie.  Into the egg at 500 indirect.  Turned out pretty good but next time I think I need a thicker dough as the crust was done but the toppings were heated through but not screaming hot.  Happy with it for my first try, will do another attempt in a couple of weeks.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Honestly, I didn’t know that Detroit Pizza was a thing. Excellent for stepping out of your comfort zone. Enjoy
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 393
    Options
    Interesting! I live a couple hours from Detroit (Canadian side) and have never heard of Detroit Style Pizza (other than Little Caesars ;))
    Looks tasty! Sort of reminds me of Chicago Style Pizza!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    keener75 said:
    Interesting! I live a couple hours from Detroit (Canadian side) and have never heard of Detroit Style Pizza (other than Little Caesars ;))
    Looks tasty! Sort of reminds me of Chicago Style Pizza!
    Maybe some locals can chime in, but on TV they say the difference is it was cooked in old rectangular oil pans from the car factories.  Who knows if that is true but it is a good story.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 393
    Options
    I was going to comment on the rectangle shape. That is a cool story.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Grew up in Detroit and never heard of Detroit style pizza, Little Caesar's, Domino's yes...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• EzraBrooks
    Options
    Grew up in Detroit and never heard of Detroit style pizza, Little Caesar's, Domino's yes...
    I didn't make it up  =)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
  • Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    Options
    Assembly Brewing here in Portland has Detroit style pizza. A really thick “bread” type crust. Great pizza, great beer. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Here in the ATX we have Via 313 pizza joints.  Pretty much as shown and it's generally delicious.  I think it's all about the order of ingredients as well, like sauce is last

http://www.via313.com
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Have tried this recipe a few times.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bYP2NlAf4.  Substituted OO flour on last batch, was very good.
    Need to try to bake on the egg next time 
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Which type of 00 flour?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    These are legit.  And bread flour is what you want for them, not 00, in my opinion.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Living in Flint and I grew up in metro Detroit.  Detroit pizza is real and is delicious!  I’ve always believed the rectangular pan story coming from the auto plants.  As you said, you don’t want to be shy with the oil in the pan.  You pretty much nailed it!  Congrats!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    seems like just another name for Sicilian pizza
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Yes!!!!! I love Detroit style pizza.  So much that I invested in Loyds pans.  The serious eats recipe is legit.  @JohnInCarolina I use AP flour (Canadian) so depending on the US brand you use, it may be equivalent (US flour typically has less gluten).  00 works but I just prefer the regular flour for this one.  Brick cheese is essential.  Pro-tip, finish it with a blow torch if you are baking in the egg (This one was baked in the Roccbox).  

Options
    Zippylip said:
    Yeah, they call chili dogs "coney dogs" too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    The dough soaks all the fat from the pepperoni (which is the first layer above the dough) and fries in the fat from the brick cheese (which melts along the edges of the crust and becomes crispy).  The blue steel pan apparently also has a role to play but I had great results with Loyds anodized aluminum pans.  Seriously, the Sicilians may have been close but Detroit is bringing it to another level.  But yes, I see your point.

Options
    @paqman - beautiful!  Did you follow the recipe/approach that Gozney (Roccbox) put out?  I need to try it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    paqman said:
    Zippylip said:
    Seriously, the Sicilians may have been close
    Hahaha you can’t get any closer than inventing it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • paqman
    Options
    @paqman - beautiful!  Did you follow the recipe/approach that Gozney (Roccbox) put out?  I need to try it.
    I‘ve been baking Detroit style for a little bit over a year now and the Serious Eats dough recipe is the one I prefer.  This one was my first on the Roccbox and was baked for 5 minutes short side of the pan facing the flame (that side was actually burnt a bit but still edible) and 2 minutes for each of the other sides.  Roccbox advises 5 minutes or so per long side facing the flame.  Going forward, I’ll bake 2.5 minutes per long side facing the flame and 2 minutes per short side facing the flame (because they are closer).  I have decent results on the egg but I need to finish with a torch.  Indoor works too but... it inevitably results in triggering the fire alarm.  Roccbox was amazing.  Best purchase I made in a long time.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

Options
    Zippylip said:
    paqman said:
    Zippylip said:
    Seriously, the Sicilians may have been close
    Hahaha you can’t get any closer than inventing it
    It's basically a descendant as far as I can tell.  Some differences in terms of the type of dough, hydration level, putting toppings under the cheese, etc.  
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Congratulations on a new and original cook, but it's definitely not for me.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    Options
    I made this one last night.  I didn't have the rectangle pan so I used my 14" chicago style round pan and it turned out fantastic 
    https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/09/detroit-style-pizza-this-rock-city.html
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    'Via 313' (Detroit area code) is some of the best pizza in Austin! Love Detroit style.  Looks fantastic and I too like to live dangerously.. I mean I like a saucy pizza, yeah baby yeah!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    Options
    Love it, a little place in Telluride, CO got my hooked on it. 
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    I did my second attempt last night, came out good again with thicker dough, which was great, but some sections were not cooked all the way through.  I find it challenging to know when the pizza is done, as it felt firm to the touch but wasn't cooked through.  any tips on that?  But the bottom of the crust on this one was great.  Sorry no pics, phone was charging.