Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Steel on Egg

BGNMI
BGNMI Posts: 20
Looking to get a pizza steel for the reg kitchen  oven. But debating whether to get a in a round shape to use on the XL egg as well.
Has anyone every done pizzas on a pizza steel on an egg or is it too hot. 

My thinking is if it transfers energy to the dough in a home oven @ 500F efficiently, then on the egg it could be run at a lower temp. Less fuel, longer pizza cooks, more pizzas, bettter result etc...

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Why wouldn't you buy a round one that would fit the egg as well as the oven? if you like the result in both, great. I have a steel for my oven (too big for my egg) and I love it. Keep meaning to get one that fits both. Remember, your egg is just an oven that runs on lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2020
    I love my steel and use it exclusively in my oven for pizza, on the stove stop for pancakes (etc) and on my gas grill for hard searing steaks, shrimp, veggies (etc). It takes forever to heat up and it's not something you can move or handle once it's heated (even with welding gloves it's too hot!) but it performs great. That said, I'm not sure how it would perform on the egg. I'd be worried it would scorch the bottom since the egg wouldn't generate as much heat from the top. I'd probably lean toward a traditional stone. 

As far as shape, rectangle is easier to land a pizza on from a peel. I think the full size Baking Steel Griddle is their best product. Cook pizzas on the textured flat surface or flip it over for the mirror-smoothed griddle surface with grease channels. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I have one and love it. Be careful it doesn't pick up rust.

Works great for smashburgers, toasting buns, searing meat, etc. Highly recommend.

Mountain View, CA
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Has anybody found a round one that fits on the large?  I have a steel for my oven but it doesn't fit on the large, I cant seem to find one on amazon.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hoster05 said:
    Has anybody found a round one that fits on the large?  I have a steel for my oven but it doesn't fit on the large, I cant seem to find one on amazon.  
    Got a steel frabricator locally? I had 8 made and sold 7. Pretty cheap actually.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Keep in mind if you plan to use it in the oven, a 16” round stone/steel is as big as you can use in a standard size oven. I have a baking steel and a pizza stone and the 16” stone butts up against the door. I have a large egg and to use the steel in it I have to run it at the felt line and that isn’t high enough in the dome to cook the top. You may be able to do it in an XL
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The Baking Steel folks custom made round ones back in the day. Maybe they still do. Contact Andris Lagsdin, the owner. https://www.bakingsteel.com

Or just go to a steel store and have them cut you a piece of A36 mild steel plate. For a fraction of the price. I bought a 14"x17" piece for about $12 as I recall.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Steel won't perform much better at screaming hot temps >500F-ish.

I second the vote for a round steel that fits both the oven and the egg. You may find yourself using it in the oven more.

From a while back...
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151296/naan-and-pide-experiments-on-steel

Granted, things may turn out differently if using tipo 00 flour.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BGNMI
    BGNMI Posts: 20
    Thanks everyone. I ordered a rectangle for the oven. ¼ inch 

As for XL BGE, my wife wants to buy me a Pizza Porta for Father's day so we will see if that works out
  • attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    BGNMI said:
    Thanks everyone. I ordered a rectangle for the oven. ¼ inch 

As for XL BGE, my wife wants to buy me a Pizza Porta for Father's day so we will see if that works out
    Easy now.....That Pizza Porta is a touchy subject around here! Haha!!!

Put my first pizzas ever on mine tonight. Turned out pretty good, but I think I’ve got plenty of room for improvement. Either way it’s fun and everyone eats!
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    Hoster05 said:
    Got a steel frabricator locally? I had 8 made and sold 7. Pretty cheap actually.
    Here’s mine that I retained plus the carrier I made for it. Who says I go overboard??? =)=)=)

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Hoster05 said:
    Here’s mine that I retained plus the carrier I made for it. Who says I go overboard??? =)=)=)

I hope that carrier has a gasket in it, and we just cant see it.
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Hoster05 said:

I hope that carrier has a gasket in it, and we just cant see it.
    LOL - no it doesn't, but it is lined with 2 thin plastic cutting boards to protect the built up seasoned finish on that steel!
    PS - why the carrier anyway? when I was teaching cooking classes and attending Eggfests I always used it.