Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making progress ~ made a granite counter top template

Options
So I originally was going the route of hiring out the work.  A laser template would of been easier.  But the 19 year old that showed up and wanted $600 to make it, just drove me to go old school.  Also dropped the cost of the Granite from approx $5k to under $2K.  Any way 10 hours later, I completed to scale within 1/8th inch one complete template with seam lines, etc.  yes I hated it.  However now within 3 weeks I should be able to check this project as completed.

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Looking good jdMyers, been following your build.  All your hard work is coming together.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate ir.  Im excited about how its turning out being i have done 85% of the entire project my self.  Learned a lot and try to share the knowledge Ive gained with anyone taking one on to save them time and money. 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    Man, that's some nice work there. Definitely a labor of love. I love the view from the patio.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Very nice - save some $ and gain a sense of accomplishment!  Maybe add a turret and a couple shooting windows to fend off neighbors across the lake?  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    looks good. Are you buying whole slabs and cutting/polishing yourself on site?

Do you have a large level, at least 6 feet? Try to spot any high/low spots. You can easily grind 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Man thanks for the reply.  I have some help ref the granite.  I obtained the slabs.  I Got to work inside a friends warehouse which is helping a great deal.   I layed masking tape on the slab and then traced my templates. I have help with cutting and polishing.  Ref the stone.  I had a 3 inch drop across the 20 foot deep patio from house to fence.  I used a mortar mix to level the first row etc.  Grinded and leveled all the way up.  Top row for granite is as good as I can get it.  Flush mounted angle iron, cut trenches for all wires.  Install should be weds if it doesnt rain.  Im excited.  Never took on thisntype of work before

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    Options