Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor pre-fab or modular kitchen island help

my parents are in the process of redoing their 34 year old wooden deck... it's going to be a complete tear down and they're going to build a new deck with trex transcend. in addition to the deck, they want to add a ground level patio area with an outdoor kitchen.

we spoke to the contractors doing the work and they said it would be far more cost effective to order a pre-made kitchen island rather than have them build one from scratch. they sent several links as suggestions, but I was wondering if anyone here had some ideas for a mid to high-end kitchen island you can order. 

here are the examples they sent us:

Coyote Outdoor Living

Challenger Cart Modular system

Grillnetics

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Or is there something else we should be looking at? They would like both a gas grill and a BGE integrated into the island. Storage space would be nice... we're going back and forth on refrigeration... sounds like a nice idea but we're wondering if that's going to be a pain to maintain over time, will it rust, etc.

any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I have looked at the Coyote at the trade shows and they look pretty nice. As you can’t see in the literature it’s definitely modular, but is intended to look built in and does a pretty good job of that. The Challanger stuff is really nice as well but can get really pricey when you add nice pulls and drawers. The options are pretty vast in the custom Challanger stuff. You can add sinks or whatever appliances and such you would like. It has an intended modular look to it with leveling legs etc. both are pretty
    nice products IMO. I have no familiarity with the other product. Good luck!
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    I have looked at the Coyote at the trade shows and they look pretty nice. As you can’t see in the literature it’s definitely modular, but is intended to look built in and does a pretty good job of that. The Challanger stuff is really nice as well but can get really pricey when you add nice pulls and drawers. The options are pretty vast in the custom Challanger stuff. You can add sinks or whatever appliances and such you would like. It has an intended modular look to it with leveling legs etc. both are pretty
    nice products IMO. I have no familiarity with the other product. Good luck!
    this is great, thank you for the info!
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    I own this set and it’s been great.  Sorry for the dark photo.  
    https://newageproducts.com/outdoor-kitchen-cabinets-stainless-steel/

• marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    @trip150 oh that’s nice too! Thank you, I’ll check this out
  • JClark
    JClark Posts: 23
    Following along - as we are also in the process of selecting base cabinets for an outdoor grilling area and are evaluating options that support an XL BGE (or two).  Love the look of the NewAge posted by @trip150, but haven't been able to get a response from them if they can accommodate XL BGE.  Also like the options from Challenger Designs (we have a Torch cart now).  Waiting to hear back from Sunstone.  Also trying to find out more info on Danver (company that also makes Brown Jordan Outdoor cabinets).

One of our layout options includes a 45 degree corner in our base cabinet area - so options that include a 45 degree wedge in their product line has also been a consideration (which Challenger does not).
  • pgprescott
    JClark said:
    Following along - as we are also in the process of selecting base cabinets for an outdoor grilling area and are evaluating options that support an XL BGE (or two).  Love the look of the NewAge posted by @trip150, but haven't been able to get a response from them if they can accommodate XL BGE.  Also like the options from Challenger Designs (we have a Torch cart now).  Waiting to hear back from Sunstone.  Also trying to find out more info on Danver (company that also makes Brown Jordan Outdoor cabinets).

One of our layout options includes a 45 degree corner in our base cabinet area - so options that include a 45 degree wedge in their product line has also been a consideration (which Challenger does not).
    https://challengerdesignsllc.com/gallery/#group-67
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I recommend a built in cooler with drain rather than a fridge, depending on your needs. I only need the extra outdoor chilling space during a larger party, so that's been twice. I agree the outdoor fridge can be hard too maintain, especially in Texas summers. The coolers can be pricey and look nice, but they don't break down. 

I built a simple outdoor kitchen.. meaning no running water.  

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • pgprescott
    JClark said:

Oops, it didn’t copy the particular pic. 

• JClark
    Not sure what size BGE you need to accommodate - but NewAge does not have a modular cabinet base for XL or larger.  They can accommodate up to 22" ceramic grill in their product line.

• JClark
    edited May 2020
    JClark said:

I really like the Challenger product line.  I swear by their torch carts if you are looking for a grill cart.  But I have ran into the following issues to overcome if we use their custom products for a more extensive grilling area-

1 - They don't make a wedge base cabinet for a 45 degree corner (envision a "V" where the axis is a 45 degree angle).  Our most efficient layout currently has a bank of cabinets along a railing for one leg of the "V" (where the grills will be) and then serving and storage along another leg of the "V" that has a privacy wall.
    2 - They don't make curved end overhang countertops- so we'd have to order our eating bar area without a top and have one added locally (we are hoping for a 15" overhang along the back, and a semi-circle overhand on one end).  Not a deal breaker if we could do the 45 degree wedge for the other area

This is our preferred layout option.  The deck with the table and grilling area is being built.  The green shaded area represents the covered area of the new deck.  The two yellow appliances are a kegerator and fridge.

• pgprescott
    JClark said:
    JClark said:

I really like the Challenger product line.  I swear by their torch carts if you are looking for a grill cart.  But I have ran into the following issues to overcome if we use their custom products for a more extensive grilling area-

1 - They don't make a wedge base cabinet for a 45 degree corner (envision a "V" where the axis is a 45 degree angle).  Our most efficient layout currently has a bank of cabinets along a railing for one leg of the "V" (where the grills will be) and then serving and storage along another leg of the "V" that has a privacy wall.
    2 - They don't make curved end overhang countertops- so we'd have to order our eating bar area without a top and have one added locally (we are hoping for a 15" overhang along the back, and a semi-circle overhand on one end).  Not a deal breaker if we could do the 45 degree wedge for the other area

This is our preferred layout option.  The deck with the table and grilling area is being built.  The green shaded area represents the covered area of the new deck.  The two yellow appliances are a kegerator and fridge.

They do custom stuff I think. Might be worth a call if you haven’t already done so. Looks like an awesome space in the works. 
  • JClark
    @pgprescott - We've been working with Challenger directly as there isn't an official distributor in our area.  We have some retailers that purchase from other distributors - but there isn't one that Challenger recognizes, so they will work with us directly.

When we worked with a local store for our Torch cart 8+ years ago - we had all sorts of options in regards to pull out drawers, pull out bottom shelves, etc.  And we love how it's performed, as well as the awesome service we got directly from Challenger for some minor issues with the design on our model (there was just enough of a space under the top that mice found their way into the drawers).  

But, we've now learned that the Torch line now comes "as it is" other than your finishes and there was no options for continuing the countertop over that 45 degree area - so I'm not sure how much custom work they are accommodating any more.
  • JClark
    @Tspud1 Love everything I've read on your carts too - and am super appreciative of the work you've done to provide us quotes.  Truly custom options.  Still unsure of best way to address that 45 degree corner - as we would ideally like the countertop around that corner to be continuous.

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Not sure how long your parents plan to live in that house.  We went with a cart setup to allow us to give our kitchen components to the kids.  If you don't have the skills to DIY, an outdoor kitchen will cost as much as a real nice cart system.  Might as well spend the money on something that can be moved.  We have a challenger cart for the eggs and also bought the challenger bar unit.  Love them.  Tspuds stuff looks good too.  We have plenty of lights and electric nearby.  Don't have water or refrigeration.  A nice cooler works fine for us when we need it.  There is easy access from the outdoor kitchen to the indoor kitchen.  Make sure to include lots of prep space and storage space.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• JClark
    We currently have a 56" torch cart from Challenger for our XL egg with the flip up shelf on the end.  Being able to store grill only items by the grill (versus taking up space in the kitchen) is a must (extra pans, grates, pizza stones, etc. - they take up more room than you think).  

Up until this season, we've typically prepped in the house, taken out to grill, and then brought back in to setup and serve buffet style where folks make up their plates and head back outside.  However, with social distancing a focus this grilling season - we are entertaining way less, and very cautious with how we do, to include among other measures keeping everyone outside that doesn't reside in our household.  And as a result - we have way less serving area than we need with just the cart.

Point being - year around storage for items only used with the grill(s) and counter space for serving should be items considered essential to get the most out of the outdoor grilling/kitchen area.

I can also share that Challenger can put caster bases on their custom cabinet bases, allowing them to be mobile (this is true with most base cabinet manufacturers).  But if Challenger carts or Challenger Coastal items meet their needs, they are cheaper than building out the same size set of base cabinets from their custom line (also true with other manufacturers - items pre configured are less expensive than putting modular pieces together).
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 76
    edited August 2023
    I am building an outdoor kitchen and was wondering if anyone else has incorporated a timberline into their kitchen to achieve a built in look like brown kitchen ideas. I have seen some just sitting on a counter but I’m not sure how you would do this with the grease trap. Any ideas?
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    I am building an outdoor kitchen and was wondering if anyone else has incorporated a timberline into their kitchen to achieve a built in look like brown kitchen ideas. I have seen some just sitting on a counter but I’m not sure how you would do this with the grease trap. Any ideas?

I dont see much there for eggs