Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread baking on an Egg

Options
bearcat
bearcat Posts: 41
Hi all

I have been getting set up to bake more bread during these crazy times. I have a WFO and a medium egg. I usually bake in the WFO but realized the egg is more sensible for making one loaf at a time. 

So I got a sourdough started. I have flour. I have Dutch ovens. I am now wondering how to best set up my egg for baking. Should I just put the Dutch oven on the plate setter? Or do I need something in between. I have in the past made apple pie in the egg. I think I put a coil of foil between my pie and the plate setter to keep the bottom from burning. Bread baking calls for higher temps. Any suggestions? 

Thanks! 
Amanda

Best Answer

Answers

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I set up raised indirect and put my DO directly on the grate.

I put DO in egg while I settle the temp
    I drop the Dough into the DO on parchment
    I pull the lid with ~7 min left in bake

I use same process when I make it in the Oven
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • bearcat
    Options
    Ok thank you for responding so quickly! 

Does raised indirect mean the plate setter legs up and the grate on top? 
  • mickyb55
    mickyb55 Posts: 5
    Options
    I sometimes bake bread in my large. I don’t use a Dutch oven. I use the set up I use for pizza which is, Plate setter legs down, 3 balls of tinfoil on top of that with a pizza stone on the tinfoil. I use a peel to transfer the bread to into the egg and bake at about 180 -200 for 25 to 30 mins. 
    Cambridge, England.
    Large & MiniMax
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This thread can provide a load of information. Join the conversation there if you are interested.
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206737/wild-yeast/p1
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bearcat
    Options
    Thank you all! Hopefully I will attempt this in the next few days. Right now attempting danish sourdough rye in my counter top oven.. I have better cooking tools outside than in...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if you want to add steam at the beginning of the cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it