Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Issues with ThermoPro grate temprature

Options
Hi.  I have a thermo Pro TP08 and had to replace the grate probe recently.  In the last few cooks I've been cooking indirect with the grate probe attached halfway between the edge and centre of the grill.  My problem is that the grate temp struggles to exceed 140C (285F) and yet the dome temp gauge is steady at a nice 180C (350F). The first time i assumed the the grate probe was right so had the vents pretty open and absolutely scorched the chicken. Second time I trusted the dome gauge (which is all I had when i first had an egg) and things cooked as expected.

So 2 questions.  I've checked the probe in boiling water so it reads 100c, but that doesn't mean its accurate at higher temp. Can these things just be duff at some temp?  I guess i could test it in my gas oven although no idea how accurate the temp control is on that.

Secondly am i doing something stupid that you would expect the temp on the grate to be 40C less than he dome temp (no idea how accurate the built in temp probe is)? Should I be putting the probe somewhere else on the grate as assume right next to them at was best?

Thanks for any advice
Mike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    are you using an indirect setup, that would do it. clip it to the dome thermo to check it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    temps are  different depending on location in the egg, direct cooks, indirect cooks etc.   even a 2.5 inch dome thermometer verse a 4 inch dome thermometer reads differently(about 13 to 15 percent differently) and water pans really screw things up

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would assume the dome temp is better than the grid probe temp.  Yes there can be substantial differences between grid and dome temps. 

If you use both, the differences between the two could drive you crazy.  I use dome because it is easy, the probe is in the same place every time and most discussion around here use it.  Grid probes can vary quite a bit depending on the exact placement relative to hot drafts, the closeness to the meat, etc.  As to having the probe down where the action is, you should place probes next to each side of the meat and just above and just below.  Then compare the temps on all six sides and then decide if grid temps are for you.  I also find it hard to find a good grid placement when cooking a lot of food - the food gets priority for grid space around here.  Also realize that the dome probe is often closer to the top of the meat than a grid probe giving you a better reading of the heat cooking the top of the meat which is often more representative of the cook than the heat off to the side of the meat.  

But most important - exact temp is not critical to almost any of the cooks on the egg.  Steady temps and being able to tell when the temp is increasing or decreasing are what you really need to be aware of. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.