Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a goose on the Egg

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm asking this ahead of time so I'll know what to do when opportunity knocks.[p]My(Egging)Neighbor just told me that he'll be hunting goose this weekend and offered to bring me back something if I was interested.[p]I told him sure, even though I've never eaten it, I'd love to give it a try on the Egg. [p]So assuming I get a cleaned/dressed bird, do I cook it like a turkey/chicken? [p]I've cleaned fish as long as I can remember but I've never done the same on a bird. It better not come with feathers. Maybe I should've kept my big mouth shut after all.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Flashback Bob,
    If you do have to pluck it, make sure someone gets some pics. :) -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Flashback Bob,
    probably not a lot of fat on them being wild, as opposed to what you might hope for from farm raised goose. [p]i'd look at some standard recipes and see if they approach it any diff than a tukey. if not, then i'd treat it like a turkey.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Flashback Bob,
    I hate to tell you, but the geese around here, DO have feathers.
    You just pluck em, and take a lighter and singe the area where the feathers came out, and Walah, time to wash the bird and carry on.
    I ordered fifty baby chicks and when I saw they were all roosters, the community came over and we had one fine plucking day.
    Fed everyone that lived far and wide. LOL

• Flashback Bob,[p]After shooting more than 80 geese last season I got the chance to try them every which way on my egg. Here are some of my thoughts.[p]Most of the meat on wild game birds such as ducks and geese is on the breast and legs. If you're unlucky and need to clean the bird this one way of doing it:[p]What I do with most of the geese I shoot is just remove the breast by plucking an area the size of you hand right over the birds breast bone, slice through the skin and peel the skin back. Make a cut along both sides of the breastbone along its whole length, if not slightly longer. I then pull the skin away from the breast (which is still attached to the carcass at this time) using a sharp fillet knife to separate the skin from the meat. With both sides skinned, I then work my hand along the cuts at the breastbone and with a knife separate the meat from the body. [p]As far cooking them, I have 3 ways that I normally do them.[p]If you have a meat grinder I'd suggest making "fatties" with them. I used a combination of about 50% goose and 50% pork butt and follow Drbqq's Italian sausage recipe.[p]I also make a lot of jerky with them, you can use any common beef jerky recipe and just substitute goose meat.[p]I also like making kabobs with them; I cut the meat into inch-sized cubes and marinate them in Italian salad dressing overnight. I'll then wrap each piece of goose meat with a small piece of bacon and alternate meat, hot peppers and red onions on each kabob. When the bacon starts to get a little crisp is time to take them off. [p]One thing to remember with wild game is that if you over cook them they will be dry and tuff.[p]

• lowflyer,
    Thanks!
    I've copied all that and saved it in my file for easy access.
    Now I'm not sweating it so much!

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    lowflyer,
    and what happens to the pellets?
    i love duck.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    goose2.jpg
    <p />FB:[p]Duck, goose, not much difference other than size . . . Just another duck that needs to be cooked low and slow to render the fat.[p]My successful goose cooks have been just like my duck cooks: Low and slow on an elevated grid. Check out the link below for cooking suggestions.[p]

[ul][li]Duck . . . Er . . . Goose![/ul]
  • bbqbeth,[p]
    Good point on the pellets![p]I cut away any damaged meat and look/feel for pellets as I prepare it for cooking. I also try to remove all the bits of blood and wash the meat really well, I find the icky stuff makes them more gamey.

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    lowflyer,
    This was a great post. Thank you. I have 15-20 wild duck breasts in the freezer ready to cook. I like the kebab idea.

• Flashback Bob,[p]Wild goose is very lean and dark, not really worth effort to defeather, the only real meat is the breast. The legs aren't that great and the amount of meat is not worth the effort. Lowflyer had a good way to remove the breast but you don't even need to remove the feathers. Just find the breast bone and make and incsison and start peeling the skin back. You can completely debreast a wild goose in about 5 minutes. Cooking is not too bad, its very lean and very dark, soaking in zesty italian and wrapping in bacon is a great way, just use your imagination.