Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked BBQ Sauce

Has anyone tried to smoke a BBQ sauce before?  If so what would be the best way to do it?
I'd prefer to use the Egg and not add liquid smoke.

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Sounds like a job for the Joetisserie!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Would go with a cold smoke generator- 

I haven’t heard of anyone trying this but have heard of people smoking Water for ice cubes. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Are you talking homemade bbq sauce or store bought? 

I make homemade bbq sauce on the stove and I see no reason why you couldn't add some smoke on the egg while the sauce reduces and thickens.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Haven't tried, but i tend to think of bbq sauce as something to cut through the smoke and fat, not add to it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Yes a homemade BBQ sauce.  I've have a couple of sauces that I bought that were smoky.  I would like to attempt my own version. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Yes a homemade BBQ sauce.  I've have a couple of sauces that I bought that were smoky.  I would like to attempt my own version. 
    Go for it. I'd stick with a sweet smoke wood when first starting out and see what that gets you.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BhamMan
    BhamMan Posts: 6
    I smoke mine with whatever I am smoking at the time. I have a wide SS BBQ cup, leaving the cover off. Just add some extra fluid to your sauce for evaporation and when it gets to the right thickness, pull it or add more fluid.I use beer in mine for the thinning fluid. I also add a couple pats of margarine so it sticks to the meat better. Keep your temp low and slow and you should have no problems.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    use some slow smoked jalepinos or just add some chipotles in adobo sauce or make the chipotles in adobo sauce and add some to the bbq sauce. now you have smoked bbq sauce and chipotle in adobo
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    If I wanted to add more smoke to a sauce, I would add liquid smoke. I occasionally use and recommend Wright brand liquid smoke. Used cautiously in limited amounts, it can be used to add a little smoke flavor without being overpowering. 
    This is not the answer you were seeking, but it has a distinct advantage of being repeatable. Add the same amount each time to the recipe and you will achieve the same flavor profile.