Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with catfish fillets

poster
poster Posts: 1,167
I have a couple catfish fillets that are marinated in the stores cajun seasonings. How would you cook these? Usually when i grill i have the skin side down, but no skin here. Im trying to avoid frying also. Catfish is very unfamiliar to me as well, think ive had it once before maybe

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Pan or deep frying is all I know for catfish.
    1 cup Bisquick or equivalent.
    1 egg
    Enough beer to make it moist.
    Corn flakes if you have them and want crunchy crust.
    Good eats!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Battered and fried is the only way to go.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Blackened in a skillet is good too. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Breaded fried catfish in skillet ain't bad at all
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    SciAggie said:
    Blackened in a skillet is good too. 
    I think ill try this. It has a sauce on it, but i can wipe it off and re-season then blacken
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Hot CI and minimal oil 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Cubed and fried!  I live cat fish bites!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Fried-

southern staple and the only way to go
    Greensboro, NC
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hot CI and minimal oil 

If you don’t want fried...Do this.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Courtboullion, without a doubt
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Choupique recipe, if you ever get your hands on choupique, this is a good one.  Scale the fish and season as you would for baking fish.  Set the whole fish in a greased baking dish.  Place potatoes and carrots around the fish in a liberal manner, onions go well also.  Bake the dish @450deg for one hour.  Remove from the oven, remove the fish and throw in the garbage, eat the vegetables.  Bon appetite!  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2020
    To really bring out the flavor of catfish I like to marinate it overnight in a bowl of mud, then season with clumps of mud followed by a shallow pan-fry in clarified mud. Serve it along side a nice pan sauce of mud. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    this stuff is awesome!

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Catfish Courtbuillon
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95