Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What's in a name?

Newbs
Newbs Posts: 188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With all of the interesting handles on this forum, I thought it might be fun to know how, where all of the names came from.[p]Nature Boy loves the outdoors.
QFan is a fan of the "Q". Aren't we all :)
QBabe...self-explanatory.
WessB...ditto[p]Some are obvious and some are not.[p]Mine, "Newbs" has nothing to do with being a "newbie". Although I am a relative new comer to the BGE (Feb 2006). It is a derivative of my last name. Been called Newbs since I was a kid playing hockey.[p]Whats the story behind your name?[p][p]

Comments

• Newbs,
    Wood-Love smoking anything on wood, Lump & Smoking Woods.
    Chuck-Happens to be my first name![p]Let's all RAISE the BAR - B - Q!

• DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 54
    Newbs,[p] Which side of the brain is it that creativity comes from? Well, whichever side it is I was short changed! [p]DannyV= Danny Vinson
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Newbs,
    Pretty obvious. :>)
    I've had the same email address (first part anyway) since I've been online. Google dhuffjr and you get pages of me here and elsewhere. I've never had to add an 07 or anysuch thing to my name to get an email address.

• Newbs,[p]manic about the egg.[p]Well I thought I came up with it and musta had caps on. A guy named "eggomaniac" in lower case is another guy so I may change it or relenquish ownership if he comes back looking for it:-) I may change it to one of my other screen names: fjimi (ebay, Polar Lights MB) or bleedrednblack (Falcons MB)[p]

• Newbs,
    Rather self explanatory.
    I work in a home where I was introduced to the egg.
    As soon as a Festival rolled about, I sent for my own, and was so Egg cited when it arrived.
    Sort of like waiting nine months for a babe of "MY" own. LOL
    Lu-Lu

• Newbs,
    Rick's Tropical Delight is actually a rum punch drink served at Rick's Café in Negril, Jamaica at one time. anyone been there? and did you dive off the cliff?[p]16 oz glass with ice cubes
    1 oz light rum
    1/2 oz amaretto
    1/2 oz triple sec
    a squeeze of lime
    dash of sour mix
    1-1/2 oz pineapple juice
    1-1/2 oz cranberry juice
    1-1/2 oz orange juice
    drizzle 1/2 t. grenadine[p]oh yeah, and my name is Rick![p]ya, mon!

[ul][li]Rick's Café[/ul]
  • Newbs,[p]I have two large big green eggs.[p]
  • Newbs,
    my name is max ... always love the 'mad max' movies. . .loved him with tina turner in "beyond thunderdome". . .the 'masterblaster' and "two men enter, one man leave" and "break the deal, spin the wheel", etc. .. .[p]anyway, just thought mad max beyond eggdome had a good ring to it. .. .[p]my current favorite on the forum currently may be 'alaskanc'. ..sounds obvious, but hopefully melissa will tell the story. .. .

• Newbs,[p]I kill "meat" with a single shot to the head and egg it.[p]LOL. [p]Really it was just a funny fusion name, and thats my story.[p]E

• Gene613
    Gene613 Posts: 53
    Newbs,
    I was using just my middle name but was trespassing on someone else onthe site. So I add my Local IBEW Union number on the end.
    Gene613

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Newbs,
    Orion has been the constellation that has always fasinated me since I was a kid (100 or so years ago now....). Maybe cause it's the easiest to recognize in the night sky.

• Newbs,
    "Flashback" is a family name and I come from a long line of "Flashback"s I just made up the "Bob" part

• All of the good names were already taken![p]:)[p]Actually, an egger that lives in my own small Arkansas town had already taken the handle that I originally wanted to use for myself. So I had to come up with something different. Since that person has not posted in the three years that I have been here, I might possibly jump claim at some point. Probably not.[p]The Fire in the Hole name came to me when I once was checking out some high-temp searing steaks by peeping in through the dome hole. What a lovely sight! Perfect steaks on a perfect grill surrounded by the perfect searing flame.[p]It's all good!
  • laotzu5.jpg
    <p />Newbs,
    I take my name from the 6th century B.C. Chinese philosopher, Lao Whiz Tzu, author of the Tao Tan Ching. According to legend, Lao Whiz Tzu was the keeper of the charcoal at the imperial court. When he was eighty years old he set out for the western border of China, toward what is now Tibet, saddened and disillusioned that men were unwilling to follow the path to natural goodness in their fuel and their fires. At the border (Hank Pass), a guard, Yin Xi (Yin Hsi), asked Lao Whiz Tsu to record his teachings before he left. He then composed the 12 books that compose the Tao Tan Ching (The Classic Book of the Way of Charcoal). [p]LWT[p]

[ul][li]The Tao of Charcoal, The Tao Tan Ching[/ul]
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Newbs,[p]BOB was already taken.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Newbs,[p]I guess mine is pretty unimaginitive and obvious - I like to eat meat. [p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Newbs, strange handle but what do you expect from a guy who has a Meteorology degree and sells investment real estate -- no BS there! Plus I play golf, almost scratch when playing. If we play don't worry, I won't ask for any strokes....unless you're offering! [p]Good question to ask. T
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Newbs, my name speaks for itself..some people call me liz, elizabeth, plain old beth or even b****.
    they say i'm not happy unless i'm mad.
    hence, vent.
    have a great weekend!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Lao Whiz Tzu, I didn't adopt my handle because I believe that. LOL Something about you sounds strangely familiar - with the emphasis on "strange".

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Newbs,
    My nickname is Jimbo. I just stuck Jimbo and BBQ together to come up with JimboBQ. Sounded appropriate for this forum.BoBQ? BarBeQue?
    Happy Friday!

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Newbs,
    last name is 'stikeman', thus, 'stike'.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Newbs,
    My daughters are Emily and Melissa(Em and M)
    Mike

• Newbs,
    WOW! I can't believe it's been too long since I've posted - lurk from time to time, but have been working way too hard...[p]Well... my name is Joe and I love smoking stuff on the BGE. I almost went with Jersey Joe (that's where I was born and lived the first half of my life); however for the sake of the "cult"ure I went with Smokin Joe.[p]Great question - it's fun to hear everyone's story.
    Joe

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Newbs,[p]last name is Herman, thus "Herm".
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Newbs,[p]I'm a big fan of:[p]LSU, Tiger Woods and Kellogg Corn Flakes :)

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Newbs,
    I own a company called Mrs. Dog's. We have two dogs. Many of our friends call us the Appledogs. The J, obviously, is for Julie.

[ul][li]Mrs. Dog's: Unleash the Flavor![/ul]
  • Tiger Tony,
    If you remember it, there used to be a line about snow on the roof and a fire in the furnace, my wife took it and named me. She even has a piece of yard art that she has given the same name, of course, it IS a "rusty rooster". If I think of it I will try to post a picture of it, doubt yall could stand one of me.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I'm a blues musician (harmonica) and fan and I love to barbecue. Blues and barbecue go together like peanut butter and jelly.
  • Newbs,
    I have always been someone who looks at the un-obvious. I am capable of saying just about anything. About 7 yrs ago after a few dates with the woman who is now my wife she looked at me and said, "You're just not right in the head. I mean you're a nutcase...........but I like it."
    We've been together ever since.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Newbs,
    mine is obvious too, but let me explain...
    I spent my career starting in the 1960's in the then still straight laced world of banking where long sleeved heavily starched white shirts (and ONLY white) were expected year around and absolutely no less. To be a bit different every such shirt I owned had my monogramm of RRP on the cuff. It truely became my trademark in later years so it was natural decision for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.