Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a thermometer/controller, There are so many good ones to chooses from

They are all really good and rock solid. I am sure I couldn’t go wrong with any of them so, it really makes it hard to decided.  

After days and days of researching:

Smobot - seems interesting. They have really thought outside of the box and not followed the rest with a blower to control the temp. I like the concept and from what I read it seems to use less charcoal too but, does it work well? They are still relatively new to the market and would think still working the bugs out.  

ThermoWorks - has a big sale right now and so the Signals is the cheapest of the bunch. I am sure I couldn’t go wrong with it and they are known for their quality. But, the review on Naked Whiz’s for the Signals was not too good and the web interface seems more basic.

BBQ GURU, UltraQ - is brand new and not released yet so there is little information about it, but I really liked everything I read about the discounted CyberQ though.

Flame Boss 500 - has a big following and looks like one of the more popular units on most forums and a strong contender.  

Fireboard FBX11 - most expensive of the bunch. Like the Flame Boss they have a big following for a reason. It can have up to 6 probes as well, if I had a big cooker it would be the choice but, with just a large egg I rarely have a need for more the one meat probe.  

I would love to hear your experiences with any of them or what made you decide on the one you have and would you buy that one again.

Comments

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I can't give you a comparison as I have only used the Flame Boss, but I would highly recommend it. I called them a couple of years ago to ask if they would ever have a unit with more than one probe, and they said they were almost ready with one, and would I like to beta test it for them. YUP! So I had the first FB 300 in the wild. (They did sell me a production model later.) I then bought the FB 500, even though the 300 still works perfectly. They have great customer service, are here on the forum, and definitely have a good reputation.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,681
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The BGE is going to cook like the BGE no matter which one you use.......none make the food any better, burn more charcoal or less, or change anything else about the operation.

It comes down to the interface, algorithm, and price.  Customer service and warrantyies are something people mention a lot too, but hopefully you'll never need to use it.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,129

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    I have 4 controllers. Wife bought first one. Then kids have piled on.
    -Does the Smobot work? Yes and quite well. Curtis and Eric have a great product there. Graphics in the data logging area not the best. Easy to take cook notes. Best controller I have concerning temp control. If you use with battery its a power mizer.
    - FB 200 better graphics than the Smobot but not as good temp control. Like the remote box best with this one. My only frustration is the amount of updates which is kind of good but everytime I use it it seems to be pushed an update.
    - Fireboard had the best graphics and I feel the most innovative company especially after they crawled in bed with yoder. They push new things to you like picture capability and cook programs. The fan they sell you is a 20cfm fan. Too big for a kamado in my opinion. That fan is made Auber Instruments which also offers a 6.5 cfm or 10 cfm fan option for a cheaper price and more appropriate for a kamado. Or just by a pit viper from BBQ Guru.
    - BBQ Guru DX 2. Solid controller and in my opinion best constructed. Mine is non wifi capable.
    Personally SMOBOT for the win. Hard pressed to choose between Flameboss or Fireboard...BUT if you like to have more freedom on settings like fan % or picture taking and cook programs Fireboard is your choice.
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    I have a Flame Boss 500 and it’s the best accessory I have for my Green Egg.
  • webeinky
    webeinky Posts: 10
    Flame Boss, definitely has a huge following on this and other forums for sure. I would venture to say there is a pretty good reason for that. 
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    webeinky said:

They are all really good and rock solid. I am sure I couldn’t go wrong with any of them so, it really makes it hard to decided.  

After days and days of researching:

Smobot - seems interesting. They have really thought outside of the box and not followed the rest with a blower to control the temp. I like the concept and from what I read it seems to use less charcoal too but, does it work well? They are still relatively new to the market and would think still working the bugs out.  

ThermoWorks - has a big sale right now and so the Signals is the cheapest of the bunch. I am sure I couldn’t go wrong with it and they are known for their quality. But, the review on Naked Whiz’s for the Signals was not too good and the web interface seems more basic.

BBQ GURU, UltraQ - is brand new and not released yet so there is little information about it, but I really liked everything I read about the discounted CyberQ though.

Flame Boss 500 - has a big following and looks like one of the more popular units on most forums and a strong contender.  

Fireboard FBX11 - most expensive of the bunch. Like the Flame Boss they have a big following for a reason. It can have up to 6 probes as well, if I had a big cooker it would be the choice but, with just a large egg I rarely have a need for more the one meat probe.  

I would love to hear your experiences with any of them or what made you decide on the one you have and would you buy that one again.

I have a Signals with Bellows fan attachment. The Signals is good for monitoring temps. The app is so so, but it serves it’s purpose. I’ve used the Bellows fan twice and I won’t ever use it again. It dramatically over shot the temperature both times (over 100 degrees). I’m not sure if it is a defective unit or user error, but truth told, the Egg holds temperature amazingly well on it’s own once stabilized without an added fan. It is nice to be able to monitor temperatures remotely though. 
  • flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    I have had a SMOBOT for at least two years and wouldn't think of firing my Egg up without it....it does work and works very well!  Besides all to this, Eric is a technical wiz and backs his product up with very quick return calls. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    SMOBOT here too, also about two years, and I can certainly vouch for their Customer Service.
    did have to disassemble the daisy wheel portion to clean it recently, was starting to stick with all the built-up grease.  But I have no problem doing that, once every couple of years or so.  
    I also like that rechargeable battery feature, so I'm not tripping over cords.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    edited April 2020
    @builderdawg I have the same problem so I don't think it's your unit. I have found that setting it below where I want it then working my way up works best. Also not having the daisy wheel open as much as I normally would helps control it a lot better as well.

I would still recommend the unit though. I like the ease of use and ability to change settings from home or elsewhere with a click. It is my first controller so I can't really say if it is better than others but I do like it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
      Besides all to this, Eric is a technical wiz and backs his product up with very quick return calls. 
    Maybe......but if question his product then he'll come on the forum to publicly shame you AND your children.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2380630/#Comment_2380630
  • butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    edited April 2020
    Check out Fireboard. I grew up with one of the owners and they are out of KC. www.fireboard.com

South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,908
    edited April 2020
    You cannot go wrong with a Smobot or a Flameboss.

I have both and regularly use them.  I have a 1st production Gen Smobot that is still running strong.  Eric and Curtis @reinhart36 are very responsive and have a well thought out and working product.

I also use a Flameboss 100 and a Flameboss 200.  @MichaelCollins is equally responsive and even answers calls on weekends.  Both units have worked well.

You cannot go wrong with either company.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lightningque
    lightningque Posts: 68
    edited April 2020
    probably not get a lot of likes on this but I bought a partyQue several years ago, its battery powered and I have had zero issues with it.  I put fresh batteries in it every other cook but it will tell you when they are low.  its a basic temp controller for the pit only but it works great and no wires etc.  I get at least two 12 hour cooks with 1 set of batteries.   I use my Igrill for meat temps.  its simple and it works.  I am tech guy and I just don't see a reason for all the wifi stuff but that's me and we are all different.  I only use it for long low and slow cooks as I find the egg holds temps just fine for most everything. 

1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• 6baluts
    @Botch I have found that 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a couple of cotton balls have become my new best friend when cleaning the robotic damper. Alcohol swabs will work in a pinch.
  • Botch
    6baluts said:
    @Botch I have found that 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a couple of cotton balls have become my new best friend when cleaning the robotic damper. Alcohol swabs will work in a pinch.
    Thanks!  Did you have to disassemble it first?  

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,739
    I can't speak to any of the other options and am unfamiliar with prices, but Smobot has worked reliably and flawlessly for me. Given the reviews on here, I don't think there's a wrong answer on this with the top reviewed ones. I really like the simplicity and fewer moving parts with the Smobot.
    Stillwater, MN
  • 6baluts
    @Botch. No not at all. Just started wiping away. Then turned it over and wiped from the underside. After the first cleaning after almost 3 years I do a quick wipe with an alcohol swab about every 3-4 cooks. Life is good.
    I am pretty sure if you remove it from daisy wheel body you would get it much cleaner. Mine has over 85 cooks on it and after the “Earl Schieb” alcohol treatment it looks new.
  • Botch
    Thanks, @6baluts!  

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,185
    I like my smobot, but I also really like my newer auber wifi unit:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=654

Like stlcharcoal said, its price, features and support.  These guys have been doing this before anyone else in the list, and do it for $249.  They do PIDs for all kinds of applications, so they are not a novice here.  I have this model and another that I use to control my electric Smokin-it smoker.  They are rock solid and I am a big fan.  I tend to use my smobot when cooking on the Eggs because I run it with a battery and dont have to fetch a cord.  But these work well on my Eggs and WSMs.  
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I have had an IQ120 for many years now and have loved it. Simple interface. I didn't want connectivity to wifi or my phone, don't need it.  My cooks are simple. Can keep my BGE at 185-200F for 24+ hours without any issues.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    Fireboard offers six channels and blower capabilities. Wifi and blutooth as well as a rechargeable internal battery. I really like mine, it is way more capable that what I need at the moment, but I like that it has room for me to grow into. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • cdnewman
    cdnewman Posts: 88
    I’ve only had my billows for a few weeks (was given a signals last Xmas so price to add billows made it worth a shot). It has worked quite well so far. If I have the lid up for a while it will overshoot 25 degrees or so, but quickly settles back down. And for reverse searing, if I leave the lid open and pull the place setter it gets things wicked hot really fast (I pull the probe when I pull the place setter). 
  • The_Smoking_Gnu
    The_Smoking_Gnu Posts: 12
    edited April 2020
    Smobot fan here. Just started first bot controlled rib cook this AM and im impressed with ease of setup, temp control and web interface.
    Just a couple isues right now that im figuring out.
    iPhone, iPad interface reports falling offline a couple times. Blue wifi light on botbox goes out. Didn’t affect hardware controls but leaves gaps in graphing and reporting. Figured out i just unplug/ replug power to the botbox and seems to reset wifi connection.
    so far, kinda good.
    hope the falling offline thing figures itself out. We have a solid wifi signal, router about 30’ away inside living room.

Also cool thing. I think the smobot probes are a little large so i plugged in my ThermoWorks 90deg probe and it seems to report meat temps appropriately.
    Ill hafta do some comparative tests later to confirm.
  • 6baluts
    I have quite a few cooks (80+) on the Smobot and have only experienced one time with indication of loss of wifi (about 65' away). However I don't remember losing the graph data. I never unplugged to reset though.
    I would send a ticket in and ask Curtis and Eric their thoughts? One of the two will respond and usually quite quickly.
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Interesting comments as my wife and daughter have asked about Father's Day Gift Ideas and that got me motivated to consider a controller for my BGE.  I am debating between the Smobot, Bellows, DigiQ, and FlameBoss.  Flameboss seems to have some of the best comments from users, but unfortunately, it is one of the most expensive -- though it is not out of the question.   I am wondering, do you attach it permanently to the Egg? And then, therefore, use it all of the time, or do you remove it if you don't need to use it?    The SmoBot controls from only the DaisyWheel at the top, quite a different approach, but they have loyal followers also.  Other comments on the others?   How do I make a decision on which one to pick?

Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Let me just add to what you are looking at - BBQ Guru and Fireboard have both just announced really nice controllers. Just to make things more difficult for you 😀
    New Orleans LA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,739
    Given the support that most of the controllers receive on here I don't think there's a wrong answer. I only have experience with the Smobot and not sure how it compares with others as far as cost, but it works wonderfully. I like the simplicity, which means there are fewer moving parts to potentially break.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Thanks... Lots of choices... Wondering, do you leave the Smobot connected to the Egg always, or do you remove it when you don't need it?
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area