Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce to put on pulled pork AFTER the low and slow?

lhousesoccer
lhousesoccer Posts: 21
edited April 2020 in Pork
I've been to a bunch of BBQ joints over the years where the sauce is added to the pulled pork AFTER the cook.  I just did a low and slow 6 pound bone-in pork shoulder today (7 hours at 275) marinated for 24 hours in Cuban Mojo sauce.  It was unbelievably flavorful and moist with amazing bark.  But I know the warmed up leftovers are going to be a bit drier over the next couple days.  Thinking of Cuban sandwiches, and maybe pork burritos.
Does anyone have any good recipes for sauces (vinegar based or otherwise) to add to the shred to moisten it up again?  Thanks!

Comments

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    I second a Carolina mustard sauce, very good acidic complement to the salty and fatty pork. Here’s my go-to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqM1TugdiZk

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Heat it up in a skillet with some coke.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    we use this

Franklin Barbecue Sweet Vinegar Barbecue Sauce 13 oz
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • poster said:

Ho boy ... exactly what I was looking for. I'll be whipping up a batch of the Carolina Mustard and Carolina Red tomorrow!  I already have all the ingredients at home.  Thanks!
  • Plutonium said:
    I second a Carolina mustard sauce, very good acidic complement to the salty and fatty pork. Here’s my go-to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqM1TugdiZk

The Worchestershire looks like an interesting addition to the link POSTER provided.  Might have to try that as well!
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    There’s one on here somewhere I posted before with Meathead’s permission.  It’s from the Amazing Ribs website.  Grownup Mustard Sauce and it’s amazing with pulled pork.   I’m down to 2 jars and need to make another batch.  It’s also great as a dipping sauce for grilled sausage appetizer while you’re waiting to shred the butt.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • xfire_ATX said:
    we use this

Interesting, Amazon has lots of Franklink sauces but not the Vinegar.
  • SSQUAL612 said:
    There’s one on here somewhere I posted before with Meathead’s permission.  It’s from the Amazing Ribs website.  Grownup Mustard Sauce and it’s amazing with pulled pork.   I’m down to 2 jars and need to make another batch.  It’s also great as a dipping sauce for grilled sausage appetizer while you’re waiting to shred the butt.

• SSQUAL612
    That’s it...he has another one I’ll post that is simple and great for adding a little moisture and flavor to pulled pork.  I use both, but top with the Grownup Mustard Sauce. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    This one last for months in the fridge...best when you make way ahead.  Again...I use in conjunction with the mustard sauce.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/east-carolina-vinegar-bbq-sauce-and-mop-recipe
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    For me, there is only one sauce for pork BBQ, Eastern NC Vinegar sauce. No sugary syrup, no Worcestershire, no ketchup, and certainly no mustard. Been using this stuff for years...

Vinegar Sauce - traditional Eastern NC Style

1 ½ cups         white vinegar

1 ½ cups         apple cider vinegar

1 ½ tbls         sugar

1 ½ tbls         red pepper flakes

1 ½ tbls         bottled hot pepper sauce 

1 ½ tbls         cayenne pepper (can use less… or none)

Salt and pepper to taste

Note that there is nothing in it that requires refrigeration. Lasts forever in your pantry.

Pork BBQ (and sauce) done right (Chris Lilly)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNhCAMj2og

If you're feeling lazy, try the Skylight Inn's version, about 60:40 apple cider vinegar and Texas Pete plus some pepper. You don't even have to mix 'em together first, just squirt some of each on the meat and mix. Shown in this video at 7:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKwt1yxnJoo

Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I like to take the drippings and put them in the freezer so that fat solidified and then take like 75% of the fat out then put it in a sauce pan and add a little BBq sauce, apple cider vinegar, and apple juice and mix it back into the pulled meat. It’s thin so it isn’t over powering sauce but prevents it from being dry.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    Assuming you're not serving a crowd, the best way to keep your pork moist is not to shred the entire butt, just pull off what you plan to eat.  This goes for Brisket and everything else. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SonVolt said:
    Assuming you're not serving a crowd, the best way to keep your pork moist is not to shred the entire butt, just pull off what you plan to eat.  This goes for Brisket and everything else. 
    The only time I ever did that, it was very late, I was very hungry and the butt was done at one end, but not the other. Still on the grid, I pulled off enough for dinner and left the rest to finish. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    xfire_ATX said:
    we use this

That is my favorite as well.  Great flavor, but doesn't overpower the meat.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    SonVolt said:
    The only time I ever did that, it was very late, I was very hungry and the butt was done at one end, but not the other. Still on the grid, I pulled off enough for dinner and left the rest to finish. =)

Are you my wife? lol... she'll walk in the kitchen (or wherever) and pull off a sample of whatever she can find.  If I leave the grill to take a piss there's a good chance some steak or chicken will have a hunk taken out of it when I get back. Drives me nuts.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    TN_Egger said:
    I’ve never heard of this one. I’ve got to try.....
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    Season with the same spices you originally used. Use the base of the sauce you like. Acv, ketchup, mustard,etc.
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    attaboy said:
    TN_Egger said:
    I’ve never heard of this one. I’ve got to try.....
    It works fantastic. It leaves the original taste intact and is easy to do.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    For me, there is only one sauce for pork BBQ, Eastern NC Vinegar sauce. No sugary syrup, no Worcestershire, no ketchup, and certainly no mustard. Been using this stuff for years...

Vinegar Sauce - traditional Eastern NC Style

1 ½ cups         white vinegar

1 ½ cups         apple cider vinegar

1 ½ tbls         sugar

1 ½ tbls         red pepper flakes

1 ½ tbls         bottled hot pepper sauce 

1 ½ tbls         cayenne pepper (can use less… or none)

Salt and pepper to taste

Note that there is nothing in it that requires refrigeration. Lasts forever in your pantry.

Pork BBQ (and sauce) done right (Chris Lilly)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNhCAMj2og

If you're feeling lazy, try the Skylight Inn's version, about 60:40 apple cider vinegar and Texas Pete plus some pepper. You don't even have to mix 'em together first, just squirt some of each on the meat and mix. Shown in this video at 7:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKwt1yxnJoo

Enjoy!

My favorite
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle