Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Urgent Help: Pork Shoulder Picnic Advice

RickRobo
RickRobo Posts: 9
Hello!

New BGE owner here. I wanted to do a pork shoulder like this https://youtu.be/rYb_ygsTDfY

While still learning different cuts of meet, I purchased a smoked & fully cooked pork shoulder instead of buying raw like in the video. I am trying to get the results like in the video. Any advice with the pick of meat I have to try and achieve the results in the video? 

The more details/easy to follow advice is appreciated! I’m still learning how to bbq/smoke with BGE. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2020
    I found these reheating instructions.

I would follow the reheating instructions and put it in a pan with a rack with some liquid, covered with foil. You could do this in the oven or on the egg. Once it probes tender (estimate 160 degrees F), let it rest, and then do Malcom's final step with the glaze. I think it would be good to do this on the egg because you will get some of that extra smoke flavor in the glaze.

Note, my reasoning is:
    1) It has already been cooked. I don't think you want to smoke it "naked" on the egg again because it may dry out. 
    2) It has already been seasoned, so applying the rub may be too salty, and the bark won't set right if it is wrapped in foil. 

So, I think the best you can do is reheat and glaze it. Good luck! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Yeah, basically you have a ham. You are not going to get pulled pork from that like in the video you linked to.
    Warm it up and enjoy it like a regular Easter ham, maybe with some glaze and pineapple.

This is from the cooks website:

Cook's Smoked Pork Shoulder Picnics are now fully cooked! This means they may be eaten cold or heated. The smoked picnic only needs to be heated through. 

Cook's Pork Shoulder Picnic is the cut of meat taken from the front leg of a pig. Since a ham always comes from the back leg, a Pork Shoulder Picnic is not technically considered a ham, although its appearance and taste can be similar. Picnics, however, are not as lean as a ham and are traditionally cured with more salt. Whether you boil or heat it, you'll find picnics are a great main dish or a way to add flavor to dishes, especially soups and casseroles.
  • RickRobo
    RickRobo Posts: 9
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    This is new to me, I've never seen this available as pre-cooked. It might be an interesting thing to try.