Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you all look at this trim job on my first brisket and offer pointers?

Options
took the plunge and finally doing my first brisket. honestly I have no idea what I'm doing, but have read a bunch of threads on here and watched a couple of Aaron Franklin's videos. I woke up at 4:30am, cleaned the egg and loaded it up with Post Oak and Charcoal, lit the fire at 5:05am. Trimmed the brisket and put it on at 6:10am once the fire had settled. It's 9:55am EST here now, current internal temp is 160 and grid temp is 255. I have a dry drip pan between the platsetter and the grid (have the eggspander so there's a gap). I wasn't planning on spritzing but think ill wrap around 170ish.

Here's the trimmed brisket. It started off at 14lbs:

this picture below im worried I didn't trim enough of that harder thick band of fat near the point. however it would have required me to carve into the brisket and make a weird divot (I think) and I was nervous if I did that the point and flat would become disconnected from one another. I already cut a bunch out from there.... was it not enough?

and then in this picture, that weird hard piece of fat that you can kinda grab by the handle and nearly pull off from the point left this balls sized hole when the meat part is down... does that look right?

thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I do carve into the fat vein between the point and flat in a V shape to remove a bit more fat. That said if it’s not for competition it ain’t a big deal. If you are a huge fan of bark you could take the fat off the other side, but I leave it as you did and put it facing down during the cook for added protection from the heat source. That fat is “sacrificial” in my opinion. You got this. Enjoy!
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    Options
    awesome, thank you @pgprescott !

I did put it fat side down (after reading about that here)... next time I'll cut some more of that thick band of fat out. thanks!
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I never worry too much about trimming brisket (or anything for that matter), I think it produces too much waste.  If I was running a restaurant or entering a competition that may be different, but for home smoking I wouldn't sweat it.  I'd rather cut whatever needs trimming off after it's smoked and add it to the beans or whatever sides I'm having.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2020
    Options
    That is a massive fat layer between the muscles. Not much else you could have done with that one without completely deconstructing the whole thing. Most will render out during the cook so carry on. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Here's some really good info. 

https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Looking forward to the end results here. 
  • marcdc
    Options
    That is a massive fat layer between the muscles. Not much else you could have done with that one without completely deconstructing the whole thing. Most will render out during the cook so carry on. 
    ok good... it did seem pretty big to me, but what the heck do I know... never done this before. glad it seems larger (in general) to someone that has done this a lot. 
  • marcdc
    Options
    Here's some really good info. 

https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

Looking forward to the end results here. 
    thank you @GATraveller, I did watch that one... picture me at 5am looking at the video trying to orient my brisket as he has it and saying to myself "ok, that's his right hand, so that's this side of the brisket... ok and I think I cut this part... I have no idea wtf is going on..."

and @CigarCityEgger ill definitely post pics... it's at 171 right now so I think I might wrap it in butcher paper shortly. seems kinda fast to get up to 170ish... only been 5 hours and temp is still around 255
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    marcdc said:
    ok good... it did seem pretty big to me, but what the heck do I know... never done this before. glad it seems larger (in general) to someone that has done this a lot. 

just FYI, I got one like that from Snake River Farms a few years ago. I sent them pics and they sent me a new one overnight for free. It happens but it's certainly not ideal.
  • marcdc
    Options
    just FYI, I got one like that from Snake River Farms a few years ago. I sent them pics and they sent me a new one overnight for free. It happens but it's certainly not ideal.
    that's good to know, thank you
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Is that an SRF brisket?  That is one hell of a fat vein.  But the marbling doesn't look like what you'd expect from SRF or prime.

I'm curious on the source of that brisket.

I agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker - that brisket would just need to be completely deconstructed.  And I'd be a little jaded that I paid for that much fat to remove.
  • marcdc
    edited April 2020
    Options
    brentm said:
    Is that an SRF brisket?  That is one hell of a fat vein.  But the marbling doesn't look like what you'd expect from SRF or prime.

I'm curious on the source of that brisket.

I agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker - that brisket would just need to be completely deconstructed.  And I'd be a little jaded that I paid for that much fat to remove.
    I got it from a local butcher, and it's from 1855 Angus Beef

The idea of springing for a SRF brisket for my first one seemed a little silly, so I went with the "other guy"... didn't feel like going to Costco with everything that's going on so...

you think it's worth saying something to the butcher? I feel bad about the idea of them taking it back... not sure it's their fault, they handed it over to me while it was still vacuum packed from the manufacturer.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    #OverThinking  Just cook it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • brentm
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I tend to speak with my money.  If I really wanted to do more business with them, I'd say something the next time I was there to spend money.  If it's one and done.  Cook it and move on :)

It doesn't have to be standoff-ish.  It could be that your there to buy more meats and you say "Hey, that brisket you sold me had a nasty fat vein in it.  Can I pick through your stock of briskets next time I buy one?".

But it is an animal product.  Variations do happen.  Perhaps over thinking it.
  • marcdc
    Options
    so I wrapped the brisket at 171 and here's how it looked:

and I ended up pulling it at 202.... this was my first time wrapping anything in butcher paper and I underestimated how long I needed the paper to be.... so wrapped it once with one layer, and then wrapped it a second time to make sure it didn't tear. here it is at 202:

it was tough for me to "feel" the brisket consistency through all the butcher paper. I think it felt like peanut butter when i pulled it but who knows lol.

I just FTC'd... added foil on the outside of the butcher paper and then towel and into the cooler. Had a little bit of a mishap while wrapping it in foil... either the paper tore bc it was so wet from all the juices, or I didn't seal it up enough on the sides... a decent amount of juice got on the counter tops and floor. oh well... hopefully it'll be fine. 

anyways, plan on serving it around 530-6pm! really excited and nervous to see how it comes out lol

will post pics when I unwrap it and cut into it. thanks again for the help so far!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    As a brisket virgin, I'm following and rooting for you!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Nicely done given all the variables.  Now that you are getting ready for "show time" only slice on demand against the grain as it will dry out before your eyes.  Great eats await.
    PM sent with some info that may help for the next one.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • marcdc
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    As a brisket virgin, I'm following and rooting for you!
    haha, thanks! if this comes out half decent that should be a confidence booster for you and everyone else that has never done a brisket before! im just hoping the BGE is doing all the hard work for me and I haven't messed it up too badly 
  • marcdc
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Nicely done given all the variables.  Now that you are getting ready for "show time" only slice on demand against the grain as it will dry out before your eyes.  Great eats await.
    PM sent with some info that may help for the next one.  
    awesome! thank you for the tips and info!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    what did you use for the rub?
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Standing by for the carving 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• marcdc
    Options
    so I intended to keep it super basic and use diamond crystal salt, fresh ground pepper and a tiny bit of ground celery seed. however it was 5 in the morning, I was exhausted and as I started to grind the peppercorns in the pepper mill I realized it was going to take FOREVER to get enough to cover both sides of the brisket. so I gave up and used what pepper I had already just ground, some salt, and then I had a sampler package of Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub and just used that predominantly on both sides of the brisket.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    marcdc said:
    so I intended to keep it super basic and use diamond crystal salt, fresh ground pepper and a tiny bit of ground celery seed. however it was 5 in the morning, I was exhausted and as I started to grind the peppercorns in the pepper mill I realized it was going to take FOREVER to get enough to cover both sides of the brisket. so I gave up and used what pepper I had already just ground, some salt, and then I had a sampler package of Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub and just used that predominantly on both sides of the brisket.

ah- was wondering where the red color came from. The oakridge would explain that.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    YO!

We're waiting....
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    yes we're waiting
  • marcdc
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YO!

We're waiting....

bill37 said:
    yes we're waiting

sorry for the delay! after cooking all the food, the cleaning up, then kids bedtime routine I was spent.

there was the good, the bad and the ugly. first, some pictures:

so let's get to the bad. the flat was a bit tough, did not pass the "pull test" and honestly wasn't that enjoyable. when I sliced it thin it was ok but I didn't love it. the flavor was actually pretty good, but the texture needed improvement. Not sure if this meant I undercooked it or over cooked... 

the good -- the point (last picture above) was ridiculously delicious. beefy, smokey, unctuous, fatty, tender, delicious. absolutely loved it. this alone was worth the effort.

the ugly -- it didn't have a a nice enough bark on it, especially over the flat area. I think I under-seasoned it. I kept hearing aaron franklin in my head as I was seasoning it saying "most people over season their brisket" and I tried to have restraint. I won't make that mistake again. Need to go heavier than I did.

Lastly, I'm not sure if I'll wrap the brisket next time. I think I need to learn what it's supposed to feel like when it's probed, and the butcher paper made that pretty difficult for me. Once you do this enough I imagine you get a better sense of that even with a medium between the temp probe and the brisket (foil, paper, whatever), but in the beginning I think I need to practice this feel test more.

Any tips on what I might have did wrong, especially on the flat side to make it tougher, would be greatly appreciated!!
  • brentm
    Options
    On cases where it's not tender, you can re-wrap it and bring it back up to temperature and tenderness.

Everyone is different and develops their own style.  As for the texas crutch, I think it has a time and a place.  Personally, I only wrap if I need to speed things up or if I need to protect the meat from unfavorable smoke.

What was your pit temperature for the duration of the cook?
  • marcdc
    edited April 2020
    Options
    brentm said:
    On cases where it's not tender, you can re-wrap it and bring it back up to temperature and tenderness.

Everyone is different and develops their own style.  As for the texas crutch, I think it has a time and a place.  Personally, I only wrap if I need to speed things up or if I need to protect the meat from unfavorable smoke.

What was your pit temperature for the duration of the cook?
    This is helpful, thank you. Pit temp was pretty much 257ish at the grid according to my Smoke for the duration of the cook. Dome was probably around 275
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Re: Rub to meat ratio. I forget if it was in the Franklin book that I read this or elsewhere, but a good rule of thumb is 1/4 kosher salt and 1/4 cup coarsely ground pepper per 12lbs of brisket. I’ve used this ratio as a guide and it has served me well. 

Because I use salt and pepper in equal parts religiously for a variety of cooks, I keep a large bag of 50/50 S and P in the cabinet at all times. Pre-grinding the pepper also tames the heat and harshness a little. 

For those of you with time at home on your hands right now, pre-mixing up some rubs for future use, as I have done, could be beneficial. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    If the flat was tough then it was undercooked. Overcooked would crumble when sliced. I agree with the underseasoned comment. Go heavier next time. If you are looking for something to do with the leftovers and like chili then you should consider Award winning smoked brisket chili by @EggObsessed - it will not disappoint!
    Good work for your first time! Keep working at it! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA