Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Slow Smoked Chicken

Options
I've always done spatchcock at 400 for about an hour. Nothing wrong with that.

But a friend in Boston texted me pics of his slow-smoked bird last weekend. 

I had to try it.

Rubbed with Paprika, a couple different chili powders, cumin, cayanne, onion and garlic powders and salt.

2-fitty for 3 hours.

Outstanding!!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Looks good.
    The trouble I have encountered with low and slow chicken is the skin. I can't get it crispy.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yeah...that's the trade-off. But the flavor and moistness was worth it, IMHO.

I've read of folks cranking up the heat and doing a sear to crisp the skin.

Not eating the skin is kinda OK for me right now. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Looks great.  Way to give it a shot.
    If you want to get deeper into slow cooked chix-give pulled chix a look thru the search function here.  Generally run anywhere 5-6 hours at around 250*F on the dome.
    If I recall right @Mattman3969 has it down.  
    I will see where this lands as I need to give it another go as it has been a few years.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Looks great.  Way to give it a shot.
    If you want to get deeper into slow cooked chix-give pulled chix a look thru the search function here.  Generally run anywhere 5-6 hours at around 250*F on the dome.
    If I recall right @Mattman3969 has it down.  
    I will see where this lands as I need to give it another go as it has been a few years.  
    This. I want to do this.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    Options
    Thanks @Mattman3969

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Just sharing, I have followed this recipe with good success!

https://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/05/smoked-chicken.html

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    ^^^^ is the mop I use.  Try it over a low direct fire, closest  I’ve come to replicating the concrete block fire pit tasting chicken on the Egg 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    ^^^^ is the mop I use.  Try it over a low direct fire, closest  I’ve come to replicating the concrete block fire pit tasting chicken on the Egg 
    Thanks!  I will try this next time.  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great looking bird.  Way to bring it-and accelerate dealing with the dishes...  Toss any buy a new set tomorrow??   B)
    I have been cranking out two pulled chix/week per my son and his wife's request the past few weeks.  Being lazy I go the @Mattman3969 's proven method, very raised direct at around 200-210*F for 5-6 hours.  Always a winner, however you get there!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Anyway, the flavor was sublime. My wife, upon a few bites said the words we all yearn for:
    " I'll be in the bedroom after you do the dishes."
    :lol:  Dammit, you owe me a new keyboard!   

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I’d hit it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @dmchicago - nice bird!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dmchicago
    Options
    The next day sandwich is 💰

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    googled , but no results:  Dishcloth chicken.  Everything in this thread, except season the heck out of the skin, after taking off the egg, pull the skin of of the chicken in large sections and set aside.  After pulling the chicken, use the seasoned side of the skin like a dishcloth and rub the pulled chicken with the seasoning.  Lotsa ways work good.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.