Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you had your egg?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
im going on around 8 months. only casualty so far is a plate setter.[p]i wonder if its true this thing can last a lifetime given i dont break it.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    luis, I've had mine a bit over 7 years. NO broken parts except for a firebox or two.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Wise One,
    I'm starting to wish, I don't know how long I have had my eggs. LOL[p]Mike

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    luis,
    I have had mine since right b-4 father's day.

• LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    luis,[p]I've had my large BGE since May 2006 (birthday)
    & my small BGE since Christmas. I'm not sure what to ask for for Valentines Day.[p]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    8-9 years.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    luis,
    I'm a puppy here, but I'll chime in anyway...
    I've had my large for over 6 years, my small for 5 years, my medium for 4 years and my mini for 2 years.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    I've had my large for 6 years. I have invested exactly $0 into maintenance. I know the firebox is cracked, but no big deal so far. I'm still working on my original gasket also.
  • luis,
    Coming up on 6 years....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Car Wash Mike,
    Does a Kamado purchased in the late '60's during viet nam qualify me for longevity? It lasted about 5 years and then became Humpthy Dumpthy in a move, it became a million pieces that could not be put back together again. Got a large 5 years ago and a small last year.

• luis,
    I've only had mine for about 4 months, but have never cooked anything I couldn't eat ( except maybe one and I still ate it ) and most everything I've made has been better than I could have fixed it before. I learn every day, and am still learning. Enjoy yours!! [p]Todd

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    luis, Well, you got us thinkin on this one. We've had 2 large BGE's from well before the forum was created - how ever long ago that was. And Julie is pretty sure the when she started posting there were only 9 or 10 regular posters. How many years ago was that? Heck, we don't remember. Don't really care either. These wonderful green machines and this forum are timeless. Some say it takes a village. I think we are a village. All of us. And lucky to have each other. Ok, I'm done now. Steve.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Richard,
    You qualify for a lot of things. You are one classy guy. I'm proud to know you.[p]Mike

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    luis,
    Close to two years...no broken Egg parts but my el cheapo Target pizza stone is now in two irregular pieces. I cooked three pizzas on Sunday and just pushed 'em together...works for me.
    wrobs

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Car Wash Mike,
    I am very humbled by your comment, 'cause others on this forum deserve it more than I. You specifically. Thank you!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Apple,
    every village has a village idiot.
    that'd be me.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    luis,
    I bought my large in 1998 and my xl in 2004. Replaced the firebox on the large once (after I couldn't put the pieces together anymore). Recently had to replace the firebox on the xl. Ive had a lot of help from John at Atlanta since I bought the xl. I am one of the early buyers of the xl and had a few problems but they always came through. tstick

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    stike,
    Don't beat yourself up! You have had a lot of good info to add to the group. Except for that time you wanted to eat that 4.5 hour at 139.5 degree butt.[p]Peace!

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    stike,
    I cooked for 3 years when station in Japan in the USAF, on a Japanese model. No lump,thermometer or daisey wheel. [p]We weren't allowed to bring one back to the US.[p]During judging contests, I saw the US version & immediately bought one 3 years ago.[p]I consider it the perfect cooker inspite of the limited cooking space. It does it all from grilling to smoking.[p]The best aspects are no electricity required & it is impervious to the outside temperature.[p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ronbeaux,
    i forgot to thank you for the card that time, too. i was in a bacteria-induced coma at the time, so my mail was a little late getting out.[p]who knew them bacteria had clocks. dang

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    luis,
    not long enough
    kiss

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    luis,[p]Just two years now. [p]I thought it was way too expensive, even though I believed this cooker might be superior.[p]Two weeks later I had a massive car accident (not my fault) that I walked away from.[p]Decided life was too short to worry about the cost, and didn't want to miss out on a possibly superior cooker.[p]Bought my Large as soon as my SUV was back in my garage.[p]I've put on 20 pounds, but I'm happy.[p]Oh. I am still waiting to go to court over the accident . . . as a witness. The person in the vehicle behind me is bringing the case.[p]Maybe I should take some ABTs, pulled pork, and strawberry crisp . . . can't we all just get along . . . ?[p]DD
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    luis,
    Had my large a year next month. Had the XL and the small since Octoberfest 06.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    luis, congrats on your 8 month anniversary.
    My first large egg is 8 years old. I cook on it a whole bunch. In fact, sometimes I wonder how much meat I have cooked on that thing, and how many people actually ate food cooked on it. It is on its second gasket. Then I have 5 other eggs and a chiminea. Last weekend I had some guys over to celbrate the dumpster in our driveway (which is the first sign of our house reconstruction) and we had that chiminea screaming. We kept feeding it short fat pieces of seasoned split locust. Anyways, there was blue flames shooting a couple feet out of the top, and I seared some Ahi tuna on a small grate laid on top of the chiminey. It was some serious kind of hot, and the tuna was amazing. I love my eggs.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • luis,
    I bought mine in 1998. I believe I am the only member of the forum to have cooked whale on the egg (Alaskan alligator).

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    luis,
    It's a boy (a Large BGE) named him "Oscar" brought him home and cooked on him 9-20-06. We cook out on average 4-5 nights a week. Usually do ribs together and boston butts on the weekend. Oscar likes making pizza, pork chops, T-REx steaks, Salmon, chicken, Pumpkin Spice Cakes, burgers, Turkey etc. and of course any recipes by Dr. BBQ too! [p]
    Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    luis,
    I have had an EGG for 19 years. I had a small for 13 of those years that was an old fire clay model. It got dropped during a sort of move. I didn't have an EGG for about 2 months then I went and bought a Large. A few years later I got another Large and a Small.[p]I've seen several of the original ceramic models that are still in working order and even a few very old well used fire clay models that are still holding on.[p]The warranty is for your lifetime so if you take care of it I can honestly say that your EGG will outlast you.[p]So take care of yourself and you and your EGG can have a very long and happy life.

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Where in Alabama do you live? We are up in Huntsville

Gene
  • Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    luis,[p]My Large and I will be celebrating our 1 year anniversary next month. So far its been a fantastic relationship. I think I'm going to get her a ring. Maybe something in grey felt would look nice on her. Although I've been toying with the idea of getting her a small friend to keep her company and to share the cooking duties with, I might hold off for another year.[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    luis,
    Recieved my first large August '98, on my third firebox but still haven't gotten around to replacing the gasket yet.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• DobieDad,[p]The person behind you shouldn't even have a case. Maybe they should have stayed at home :-)