Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harbor Freight Donating N95 Masks, Face Shields, and Gloves

Comments

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    edited March 2020
    Harbor Freight? The company that exploits stolen ideas and peddling crap so cheaply made it is dangerous? Save your rip offs for another garage sale in the parking lot.

Our medical professionals deserve better. Keep sewing the masks from scrap fabric Aunt Millie, yours are more than welcome.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Nice to see them do that 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited March 2020
    bobroo said:
    Harbor Freight? The company that exploits stolen ideas and peddling crap so cheaply made it is dangerous? Save your rip offs for another garage sale in the parking lot.

Our medical professionals deserve better. Keep sewing the masks from scrap fabric Aunt Millie, yours are more than welcome.
    They will be donating actual 3M P95 masks. 

Their tools are cheap, but they have come a long way. Saying it is so cheap it is dangerous is just stupid. You sound like you have a vendetta.

BTW scrap fabric masks do almost nothing, especially in a hospital environment. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Thinking of all the people I know hurt by Harbor Freight tools...  Oh wait, that would be nobody.  In more than 30 years using their tools for a living, I've had one impact socket break, compared to many times more Craftsman and Matco tools breaking.  When I took the socket back to the store, they gave me a new complete set.

I have no idea what your problem with the company is, and I have a hunch you don't either.  Some people just love to hate.  Try not to be one of them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    instead of bashing look in your garages and shops for masks, a local home just picked up all my masks. it wasnt much but the nuns were more than thankful.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

for those looking for an at-home option
    Boom
  • speed51133
    edited March 2020
    That is not even correct.  None of these, including surgical masks seal on your face and you end up breathing lots of unfiltered air. Studies show this...

PLUS it is for 1 micron particles. The covid virus is .1 micron in size....
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Post image

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • FanOfFanboys
    That is not even correct.  None of these, including surgical masks seal on your face and you end up breathing lots of unfiltered air. Studies show this...

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

I think the main purpose of the makeshift masks is to protect others if you are an asymptomatic carrier. They will at least catch water droplets if you sneeze or cough.
    and 60% or whatever is better than nothing too
    Boom
  • speed51133
    edited March 2020
    That test is dubious at best. For example, there are many different types of material weaves, thicknesses, cotton types, etc. I have some T shirts that are see-through. Some are real thick and make me sweat. Just like bed sheets. The test does not reveal the fabric density, weave, etc. This will all majorly impact filtration. The real answer is it may be more effective than nothing, but in reality you are simply guessing. It is a false sense of security.

Add to all the above that you cannot seal the sides of the DIY masks. I promise you the testing did not take this into account. As the article states, some of the materials add a significant pressure drop through the material. This will translate to "pulling" lots of unfiltered air around the mask between your cheek, chin, nose as that is the less restrictive path.

If you don't have a real mask, you should just behave as if you don't have any mask. Even with a DIY mask. It may help somewhat, but you should not do anything you shouldn't do without a mask.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/23/homemade-coronavirus-masks-do-they-actually-block-spread/2899622001/
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    That test is dubious at best. For example, there are many different types of material weaves, thicknesses, cotton types, etc. I have some T shirts that are see-through. Some are real thick and make me sweat. Just like bed sheets. The test does not reveal the fabric density, weave, etc. This will all majorly impact filtration. The real answer is it may be more effective than nothing, but in reality you are simply guessing. It is a false sense of security.

Add to all the above that you cannot seal the sides of the DIY masks. I promise you the testing did not take this into account. As the article states, some of the materials add a significant pressure drop through the material. This will translate to "pulling" lots of unfiltered air around the mask between your cheek, chin, nose as that is the less restrictive path.

If you don't have a real mask, you should just behave as if you don't have any mask. Even with a DIY mask. It may help somewhat, but you should not do anything you shouldn't do without a mask.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/23/homemade-coronavirus-masks-do-they-actually-block-spread/2899622001/
    In the case of the one's my sister and her customers are making, they are using a design provided by the CDC. She has an entire fabric store to chose the best fabrics from. She was also a nurse for nearly 40 years and a Nurse Practitioner for most of them. Those masks will be going to her former coworkers amongst others. They don't have the option of behaving as if they don't have masks because their patients require care regardless.
  • FanOfFanboys
    CDC says we all should wear face coverings to avoid spreading coronavirus
    https://flip.it/u-3O8X
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

CDC disagrees 
    Boom
  • speed51133
    Did you read the article? It agreed with me