Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder from Costco - Deboned

Options
So I wanted to make some pulled pork or something from a pork shoulder.  Due to these uncertain times, I had to take what I could get at Costco.  Had a huge pack of pork shoulder.  However it was deboned and cut into 1/4's.  How do I cook it since it was cut into 1/4's.  Recipes suggestions?

Comments

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I cooked two from Costco last Saturday along with a bone in butt from Walmart. The two boneless were still while though and not cut into quarters. I cooked all three together and the two boneless butts we’re done significantly faster than the bone in.  All three tasted the same. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    You could tie them all together or cook them individually. How much does each quarter weigh?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options

one of the quarters is 2.5 lbs.  I just wanted to do one of 1/4's.

If I cooked them individually, how should I do it?  just put a rub all over it and cook it low and slow?

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I like the deboned , extra surface area...tie or lay flat ...good eats 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

TURBO BUTTS

·         Hot'n fast, 350 ((INDIRECT)) for 5 (+ or -) hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!

Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein )

.         Note:  The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. 

I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, 

then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil on the Egg. Also good with the coffee rub. 

FTC afterwards.   

IMG_0504JPG

IMG_0495JPG

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've purchased the deboned from Costco as well but they could still be tied up. Never had one separated into quarters. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    That is exactly what I would do @blakeas
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Cube them and do Po’ man’s burnt ends. 

Cube into what we size you like. Use whatever rub you like. Smoke at 250 for 2 hours, then put into a aluminum pan, coat with honey, brown sugar, bbq sauce and foil top. Cook for another hour. Then take the foil off toss in the renderings, and cook for an additional 30 mins to let the glaze seal in. 

Each bite will be a home run! 

• blakeas
    Options
    so put rub on them and just put it on the egg low and slow?  don't have butcher rope
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    I’d just cook them separate. Rub and low and slow. You can do a single or multiple at the same time. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• blakeas
    Options

I did the turbo but it wasn't fall of the bone.  did it at 350 and it got up to 200 in 2 1/2 hours.  only 3 lbs.

I guess I will do low and slow next time.

• blakeas
    Options
    Cube them and do Po’ man’s burnt ends. 

Cube into what we size you like. Use whatever rub you like. Smoke at 250 for 2 hours, then put into a aluminum pan, coat with honey, brown sugar, bbq sauce and foil top. Cook for another hour. Then take the foil off toss in the renderings, and cook for an additional 30 mins to let the glaze seal in. 

Each bite will be a home run! 

would love to make this!  so I rubbed the pork shoulder cuts.  then I cook for 2 hours, then cut them them into bite size pieces, put in foil pain and cover with honey, bbq sauce and brown sugar and put a top on them?  cook for 1 hour and then put renderings?  what renderings?  then cook for another hour?  all at 250?
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    @blakeas

See the PM. Can’t wait to see the final results 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I've purchased more of those pork shoulder packs at Costco than I can recall and they've never been cut into quarters. That's really strange. Sounds like a newb butcher made a mistake and covered his tracks. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave