Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - BBQ Road Trip - Colorado Springs to Duck, NC

1voyager
1voyager Posts: 1,157
We're in the beginning stages of planning our BBQ crawl from Colorado Springs to Duck, NC.  

Any recommendations for BBQ along the way would be highly appreciated. 

Specifically, we're looking at stops in Wichita, Little Rock, Knoxville, Raleigh anywhere on the Outer Banks.

Many thanks in advance. 

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    When you get sick of BBQ, head over to this place and get the Cowboy Burger 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ayden NC... The Skylight Inn
    Greenville NC... B's BBQ (Closed when they run out of food. No phone.)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    High Cotton is the best place in OBX once you get there. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    hoping you'll post pic's of your journey!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    If you roll through a Windsor NC (about 100 mi west of a Duck) give Bunns BBQ a shot. Sandwich is sold on a cornbread ask for a corner slice. Wife and I make a run down their at least once each summer from Va Beach.
  • 1voyager
    Great suggestions so far. Thanks!

Looks like our drive will have several zig-zags.  :)
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    If you are going to be heading to Raleigh, you should make a point of stopping here:

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 261
    Ayden NC... The Skylight Inn
    Greenville NC... B's BBQ (Closed when they run out of food. No phone.)

When is your trip?  There are a few new places opening in Raleigh later this year, including Sam Jones new place (from Skylight Inn).

I second the recommendation for B's.  One of my daughter's went to ECU and I would try to time trips there so as to be able to stop by B's.

While you are making your way across NC, you could stop and get some of that horrible Western style BBQ.  =)

I don't think you'll find much BBQ once you get down to the coast.

Raleigh, NC
  • 1voyager
    @rekameohs Mid-May. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Not certain of your rout...will you be coming thru SC?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 1voyager
    @northGAcock - We'll drive I-40 eastbound. We're still looking at options for the return trip. Dropping down to I-20 looks like a great way to go.

If we decide to include I-20 then we'll be going through SC.

Thanks.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    edited March 2020
    @northGAcock     I thought he wanted good BBQ...  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • 1voyager
    I'll stay out of that discussion.  :o
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Johnny, you are welcome to come down and get good Que as well. This in spite of your belief that NC BBQ is good....and UNC affinity. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    I would skip every location in LIttle Rock and head to Memphis on I 40 until you can jaunt down to Marianna Arkansas and go to Jones BBQ.   You gotta take the 20 mile trip for the best bbq ever.   Served on white bread.   Get there early but not late.  Usually sold out in the PM time slot.   Trust me on this one.   James Beard Award Winner.
  • DoubleEgger
    You won’t find it in North Carolina unless you come to Butt Blast. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Johnny, you are welcome to come down and get good Que as well. This in spite of your belief that NC BBQ is good....and UNC affinity. 
    Robin I would gladly join you anywhere for some bBQ.... that invite to come to NC is open as well....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEgger
    Also, if you come in on 40 and hit Greensboro, NC at breakfast, a little place in an old strip mall called Spring Valley restaurant has the best sausage gravy biscuits I have ever eaten.  Hit up a Biscuitville in central NC and get a Bacon Egg and Cheese too. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Wichita KS... Not a lot of BBQ choices, but I really like BJ’s restaurant and brew house.  Great menu and beer choices, at good prices.  If you want prime steaks, then it’s the Scotch & Sirloin.  A bit pricy, but good atmosphere and best steak in the country! You won’t be disappointed.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    If coming through Greensboro there’s a new place in Jamestown called Black Powder BBQ. Best I’ve had in N.C.  Even really good brisket. Don’t know their story but they know what they are doing. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Depending on your schedule and interest, you could modify the Little Rock plan.  Wright's BBQ in Johnson (just outside Fayetteville) has some great offerings.
    Should you go, highly recommend taking the Pig Trail Scenic Highway to/from I-40 to/from Johnson.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I'd go slightly out of your way and visit Valentina's in South Austin.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    And try and do as many Forum meet ups along the way wherever you are.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    hogfan412 said:
    I would skip every location in LIttle Rock and head to Memphis on I 40 until you can jaunt down to Marianna Arkansas and go to Jones BBQ.   You gotta take the 20 mile trip for the best bbq ever.   Served on white bread.   Get there early but not late.  Usually sold out in the PM time slot.   Trust me on this one.   James Beard Award Winner.

Same place?

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95