Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite mid-week cook?

Options
Just curious if anyone has any go-tos that they throw on regularly after work? 
Nothing that takes a long time to cook or prep. I'm talking...  light the grill, go prep the food and sides, throw on the grill.

My routine go-to is salmon.  It is easy to pick up on the way home (usually previously frozen wild, but sometimes fresh farm raised).  It cooks fast and picks up the flavor of your seasoning and the lump/smoke that you use.  I'll usually start some rice when I'm lighting the grill, and by the time the rice is done, so is everything else. 

I throw the salmon on flesh side down direct, jiggle it once to un-stick from the grates.  Flip when the color/char is right on the top and then let it finish skin side down until it reaches your done-ness.  It typically stays on the skin side significantly longer than the flesh slide.  The skin protect the meat while the inside reaches temperature.  We usually go medium-rare on salmon, but the cook time depends a good bit on the thickness of the cut. If the fish you are using is a little more pungent smelling than you like, after the flip is a good time to hit it with lime, wine or more marinade.  That's it though. Other than some salt to finish.

Looking for some more ideas though.  Whattya got?

FYI - below is the most recent salmon cook I had taken pictures of.  Asparagus is a common quick addition.  The steak and taters were an anomaly. Must have been a weekend cook.
That salmon is MR on the inside.
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• stever1888
    Options
    Pork tenderloin.  Serve it with brown rice, which takes around 45 minutes.  And I usually cook the pork on the gasser because I am lazy after work.  Anyway, start the rice, start the grill, season the tenderloins, cook them for about 30 minutes to 145ish, then rest a few minutes, and everything finishes around the same time.  If I'm using the egg, I start the fire then start the rice.  If rice finishes early, no problem.  If I'm making other sides, there's plenty of time to throw them on.  Hard to screw up, relatively inexpensive, and rubs take well to it.  Since there are two in a pack, I  use two different rubs, typically something spicy like jerk for me, something milder on the other.
    LSG 20x42 offset, LBGE, 36" BS griddle, and more.  Piedmont Triad, North Carolina.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    just went home for lunch and did a simple stirfry, 35 minutes including the drive 3 miles each way, the cooking and eating
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Humpback whale filets for Wed.
    Options

Options
    Our meat market sells cheap, preseasoned chicken thighs or leg quarters regularly. They are usually $1.39 a pound. I'll grill them early in the week. Then we have tacos, enchiladas, chicken salads, etc.
    Pork tenderloin is a great choice because it leaves a couple of days of leftovers.
    I'll do stir fries mid week.
    We'll have take out fried chicken about once a week.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Tacos, making some tonight with beef tenderloin. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Simple bone in chicken breasts. It’s about 3 cocktails from the time I light the egg until we eat. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,558
    Options
    @MJG - great analog time piece right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Pork chops, stuffed pork tenderloins, various cuts of yardbird, stir fry, salmon, steaks, sausages etc. Basically anything that is a high heat cook is fair game. I egg 4 nights during the week on average. 
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Wednesday is always Barilla Spaghetti day. It has been for about 50 years I think. Married to a nice Italian girl so she has Wednesday planned!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Tonight we’re going with pizza delivery. Sorry to let everyone down. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Our Costco has had Mahi Mahi filets recently if you can catch them in stock. Fish tacos make a perfect midweek cook on the blackstone.  Cooked some last night seasoned with dizzy pig Mediterranian-ish and a splash of lemon juice. Fantastic meal ready in ten minutes. 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Joetisserie pork loin. Outstanding.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,766
    Options
     go-tos plan?  I don't have a stinking go-to plan . . . strictly on impulse  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Pork tenderloin rubbed with whatever rub comes to mind. I will bake sweet potatoes at the same time.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Bone in chicken breasts only take 55 minutes at 350 (grate temp).  Foil packets with potatoes & onions about 60 minutes.  Asparagus another 30 minutes.  So it’s a meal in an hour, all on the egg!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,171
    edited March 2020
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    Wednesday is always Barilla Spaghetti day. It has been for about 50 years I think. Married to a nice Italian girl so she has Wednesday planned!
    I thought Prince was the official spaghetti pasta of Wednesdays.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    edited March 2020
    Options
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Flank/Skirt/Flat Iron steak for tacos.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    GaryLange said:

prince is boycotted here after borden took then over here in lowell ma years ago and put generations of families out of work. beautiful factory grounds and prince grotto resteraunt, was like a hundred year old college campus with horse and buggy type roads etc.  buy barilla
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,545
    Options
    fajita-ba-reritta's

marinated skirt steak w/ peppers and onions (taco seasoning)..

a little cheese..
    a little sour cream..
    a few jalapenos..
    and a flour tortilla...

Good eats..

sorry no pics, but it is a midweek cook.. 

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Fred19Flintstone
    edited March 2020
    Options
    GaryLange said:

prince is boycotted here after borden took then over here in lowell ma years ago and put generations of families out of work. beautiful factory grounds and prince grotto resteraunt, was like a hundred year old college campus with horse and buggy type roads etc.  buy barilla
    That’s good to know.  Thanks Fish!
    BTW, we usually buy Barilla or sometimes Mueller.  When I was growing up, that commercial was ubiquitous and my Mom tended to make spaghetti on Wednesdays.  A successful ad campaign, at least with my Mom.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Lamb koftas, chicken breasts, sausages, pork tenderloin and roast chicken (maybe whole, spatchcock or quartered). All of these are easy and quick. For the koftas, I usually light the XL, just because it's easier to control the grease flare ups - lamb is quite fatty and it's easy to start a fire.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,546
    Options
    Sorry... can’t help... I’m retired....  =)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DaveEGG
    DaveEGG Posts: 16
    Options
    I like salmon, too.  Tonight was cedar planked sockeye, homemade rice pilaf and green bean almondine.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Sorry... can’t help... I’m retired....  =)
    Show off. NV U. One day brother...one day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Steaks and asparagus.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I have two.  Pork chops - I buy a whole loin from Costco and cut it into thick chops, which I then separate and store with the Food Saver into portions that are enough for one meal for the family.  Pull a bag out of the freezer the night before, so when I get home from work it is thawed.  Take out of the bag, throw some rub on them, and then grill until done.  Wife handles a salad or other veg while they are cooking.

Brats.  Super easy, just grill them direct, throw them in a bun and hit with your favorite toppings.  For me it is brown mustard and kraut.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Great tips!
    A few people mentioned pork tenderloins.  Odd thing is I haven't cooked them in years.  Used to make them all the time, then there was that argument about if you should cook them pink or well (pink pork still sketches me out) and then I got the egg and have traditionally cooked fattier meats.
    I'll have to give the pork tenderloin another go! It is an affordable quick cook.

What temp do you pull the pork tenderloin if you want it not pink, but not dry?

LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    I cook pork to 140°. Sometimes a portion may have a little pink, but mostly not.