Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco score

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
I know some people around here questions costco prime meat. I’m pretty sure these aren’t prime. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Damn @Lit those look legit 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Those are approaching A5 territory- nice find
    Greensboro, NC
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Our "prime" steaks at Sam's club look like eye round select grade 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    take those back and complain that those are mis-graded.

God bless all those folks that saw those before you did and said 'ewwwwww, too fatty.  gross.'
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I got some nice ones yesterday, but yours...wow!

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Lit
    Options
    Looks good....but if they are that good then why do they need to blade tenderize a prime steak??  

That's the only thing that drivers me nuts about costco meat.  No reason to poke holes in a perfectly good steak.

I have eaten so much red meat from Costco that I have cooked to rare/med rare that I don’t even pay attention to that. Have you ever heard one person say they got sick from Costco steaks?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Lit said:
    Looks good....but if they are that good then why do they need to blade tenderize a prime steak??  

That's the only thing that drivers me nuts about costco meat.  No reason to poke holes in a perfectly good steak.

I have eaten so much red meat from Costco that I have cooked to rare/med rare that I don’t even pay attention to that. Have you ever heard one person say they got sick from Costco steaks?

I'm not so worried about the health risk, it's the loss of fat, juices, etc.  Especially with an already super tender steak like that!!  Maybe do it on a tough cut with a grade of select or even choice, but why the hell are they tenderizing tenderloins and prime grade??
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Haven’t seen any like that here but if I did I’d pack  the freezer, nice score. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'll have to keep my eye out in our Costco.  Would love to try some prime steaks like that some time.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:

I'm not so worried about the health risk, it's the loss of fat, juices, etc.  Especially with an already super tender steak like that!!  Maybe do it on a tough cut with a grade of select or even choice, but why the hell are they tenderizing tenderloins and prime grade??
    They do it because the vast majority of members prefer it that way. I can’t remember the exact number, but it was around 70% on the internal testing data on choice steaks. I guess they do it on all steaks to simplify the routine for the meat cutters. Also, you don’t lose fat and juices through tenderizing, just overcooking. A steak isn’t a balloon.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    They do it because the vast majority of members prefer it that way. I can’t remember the exact number, but it was around 70% on the internal testing data on choice steaks. I guess they do it on all steaks to simplify the routine for the meat cutters. Also, you don’t lose fat and juices through tenderizing, just overcooking. A steak isn’t a balloon.
    Maybe... just maybe, they do it so much the butcher just forgets to take it off the label.  Could be habit, and they didn't actually do it to prime.  Dunno, though. I'm just being hopeful.  :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • speed51133
    Options
    Check out these beauties at my local grocery store. Keep in mind this is an expensive store
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Here's an A5 from Crowd Cow  13oz. for $130.  The math says $160 lb.  

@Lit what a score, those certainly hold a candle to this.  Can't wait to see one of those just coming off the grill, how soon is the cookLit said:
    I know some people around here questions costco prime meat. I’m pretty sure these aren’t prime. 

That's unbelievable, how many pkgs. did you buy?  Some beautiful strips for $9.99 lb.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Lit said:

I've watched them cut steaks and throw them onto a tray for me , weigh them and put a sticker on it.  Never got within 8 feet of the tenderizer, still had the sticker on it.  

Maybe they just do it on everything an not just on the 1/2 inch ribeyes?
  • Lit
    Options
    logchief said:

@Lit what a score, those certainly hold a candle to this.  Can't wait to see one of those just coming off the grill, how soon is the cookLit said:

That's unbelievable, how many pkgs. did you buy?  Some beautiful strips for $9.99 lb.
    I am gonna cook a couple this weekend. I finally got around to splitting them up and freezing them tonight they look even better out of the package. There were only 2 packages that looked like that and I grabbed both. It’s funny cause I was trying to choose from the 2 they had and I picked the one I wanted and when we got to the register the guy said those look like Wagyu so I let my wife finish checking out and I went back and grabbed the 2nd pack. 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Phenomenal, I'd of been making a mad dash back myself.  You gotta make hay when the sun shines.  Can't wait for the cooked post
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Lit said:
    logchief said:

I am gonna cook a couple this weekend. I finally got around to splitting them up and freezing them tonight they look even better out of the package. There were only 2 packages that looked like that and I grabbed both. It’s funny cause I was trying to choose from the 2 they had and I picked the one I wanted and when we got to the register the guy said those look like Wagyu so I let my wife finish checking out and I went back and grabbed the 2nd pack. 
    I just noticed that your steaks are about half the size of mine - sliced thinner as one might with Wagyu?
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    logchief said:

I just noticed that your steaks are about half the size of mine - sliced thinner as one might with Wagyu?
    They looked way different than any of the other packs they had. Not sure if someone made a mistake somewhere or what. The fat on them was soft enough that when I unwrapped them you could see where the fat stuck to the wrapper where it had touched. Makes me want to run by and see if they have any more by chance. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great score.  Better to be lucky than good any day.  I find it hard to believe the Costco supply chain grabbed those but they did.  I should be so lucky some day.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited February 2020
    Options
    consider me one of the customers that doesn't buy that because of "too much fat" ;) I want the protein of the meat and like the flavor of the fat, which is why I like NY strip. I never get ribeyes because even those have too much fat for me. 

If you want that much fat, why not just cook a side of beef fat with your steak? Why does having the fat inside the steak make such a difference? Check out this video. They age normal steaks by coating them with added beef fat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfQSXTpzHI
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    consider me one of the customers that doesn't buy that because of "too much fat" ;) I want the protein of the meat and like the flavor of the fat, which is why I like NY strip. I never get ribeyes because even those have too much fat for me. 

If you want that much fat, why not just cook a side of beef fat with your steak? Why does having the fat inside the steak make such a difference?
    I don't even know how to address this...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Lit
    Options

If you want that much fat, why not just cook a side of beef fat with your steak? Why does having the fat inside the steak make such a difference? Check out this video. They age normal steaks by coating them with added beef fat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfQSXTpzHI
    Based on your response I can tell you have never had a good cut of wagyu. That isn’t the hard fat you get with thick veins most of that fat will melt
    away during the cooking and leave you will really juicy flavorful meat. As I stated above even just sitting at room temp for 10 minutes the fat started melting and stuck to the plastic they were wrapped in. It’s not like when you get a choice ribeye and have those thick fat veins that you can’t eat. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    billt01 said:

If you want that much fat, why not just cook a side of beef fat with your steak? Why does having the fat inside the steak make such a difference?
    Probably by justifying why fat within the steak is better than fast outside the steak?
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    billt01 said:

Probably by justifying why fat within the steak is better than fast outside the steak?
    Well, I guess it’s personal preference.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    prime strip for me, with ribeye i would rather have a good choice cut. for me thats what i would prefer. would like to get a strip that looks like that though just to see if its the fat or the cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never even seen a steak like that. But I've also never heard anyone say anything negative about one. Until @speed51133. One of these days, I hope to try it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut