Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thighs and a Salad

Options
Seasoned some thighs with cumin,oregano, paprika & S&P. Went on the large raised direct with some cherry.  After 20mins corn went on the main grid and the last 5-6 the Romain went on 

Plated up with a salsa,EVOO and lime juice dressing

Happy Sunday Y’all !!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    That looks like a great meal!
    Durham, NC
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Beautiful meal. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I like thighs!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @Mattman3969 very nice!  I do thighs often, but 90% of time I ditch the skin after cooking b/c texture (rubber) so I am curious if yours got crisp?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Another winner winner chicken dinner 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    NDG said:
    @Mattman3969 very nice!  I do thighs often, but 90% of time I ditch the skin after cooking b/c texture (rubber) so I am curious if yours got crisp?
    First off thank you! The thigh skins did crisp up. I did 1/2 skin on 1/2 off(for Mrs 3969). 
    I cook my skin on chicken about 4” above felt at 400-425. I generally don’t temp the thighs.  Usually when the skin is crispy the IT is around 180-190 which is no big deal with thighs. This temp provides the texture I like on thighs.  Kinda hard to overcook a thigh unless you treat them like @Mickey cooks his wings.  Lol. 

analyze adapt overcome

• NDG
    Options
    NDG said:
    First off thank you! The thigh skins did crisp up. I did 1/2 skin on 1/2 off(for Mrs 3969). 
    I cook my skin on chicken about 4” above felt at 400-425. I generally don’t temp the thighs.  Usually when the skin is crispy the IT is around 180-190 which is no big deal with thighs. This temp provides the texture I like on thighs.  Kinda hard to overcook a thigh unless you treat them like @Mickey cooks his wings.  Lol. 
    Ok tnx - I’ll try “super raised direct” next time and keep them on longer - any other tricks you feel is worthwhile - like air drying in fridge night before and/or dust of corn starch ??
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I’ve done both and had good results.  I rarely plan far enough ahead for the overnight drying.  Even on whole birds I pat dry, rub and cook 400-425 raised and get crispy skin.  Direct vs indirect is personal choice and I use both depending on what kinda meal I’m preparing and if I cooking sides on the same egg as the chicken and don’t want chicken smoke smell on the veggies.  

analyze adapt overcome

• NDG
    Options
    Got it, thanks.  I lost my way on crispy chicken skin awhile back . . I’ll try this next cook.
    Columbus, OH

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Good luck.  

analyze adapt overcome