Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mid week grill

Anyone else out there use there egg as a charcoal grill mid week after work? If so, what are you cooking and/or ways to get your coal ready faster. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2020
    I use a small propane torch and light in 3 spots when I first get home. Takes about 2 minutes total time to light. Set my vents to approximately where they need to be for the temp I want and then go in and prep my food. By the time I'm ready to cook the Egg is ready and up to temp. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Great tip! I’ll give it a try 
  • Fast easy and it’s small. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Pizza, chicken, fish, steak, burgers. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Had thought of that. I know it works well with charcoal briquettes but wasn’t sure how they would work with the lump charcoal
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    You can fire the lump up in the chimney just as you do briquettes.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 2 paper towels folded into 2 by 2 squares , soaked in veg oil . Easiest thing I’ve ever found 

made Old Bay chicken quarters tonight , trimmed and coated in old bay , raised direct at 350 degrees for 75 minutes . Make sure each side is down twice . Got that recipe from some one on this site don’t remember who.  Damn good 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The key is to light the grill immediately and then prep or whatever. How you light is not a huge factor as long as it’s reliable and predictable. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The key is to light the grill immediately and then prep or whatever. How you light is not a huge factor as long as it’s reliable and predictable. 
    Just like an Eggfest...as soon as you get there, fire up the Egg before you do anything else.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

All the time, but I get home around 4 so not really worried about the time. I do like Darian and use a weed burner, then set my vents where I need them and go in and prep.

Burgers, chicken legs or thighs, steaks, pizzas, wings, fajitas, whatever you would normally grill

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Griffin said:

All the time, but I get home around 4 so not really worried about the time. I do like Darian and use a weed burner, then set my vents where I need them and go in and prep.

Burgers, chicken legs or thighs, steaks, pizzas, wings, fajitas, whatever you would normally grill

Bingo
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • I always have one egg ready to grill, cleaned out, charcoal loaded, it just needs to fired up. Fire it up any way you like, I choose a weed burner. So my process is to come home, hit it with weed burner, and go prep meat. I am never waiting on the egg when the prep is done. I don’t fuss on temp either. Grilling at 350-500 is perfect. If you just have one egg, make sure it’s clean of ash, loaded with fuel, and grids/platesetter are as clean as you like before you get home. The eliminates a lot of the prep time on the day of.