Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some recommedations

My wife and I are this strict diet for a 42 day workout bootcamp.  They give us a meal plan and tell us what we can can't eat.  we actually get to eat a lot and good size portions, I've lost 15 lbs in the last 3 weeks, so I'm not really complaining.  Anyway, I love meat but you know most diet don't want you eating red meat, so no steaks.  We can have pork tenderloin, chicken breasts, any white fish, ground bison, turkey, Venison or Elk (which I can't find anywhere).  It's not bad, but I am getting tired of the same old grilled chicken and white rice for lunch everyday.  We are allowed any dry spice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce but I'm running out of ideas.  I've gone through all my dizzy pig rubs.  I need something new, give me some suggestions or recipes.
Franklin, TN

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you have a sprouts farmers market they have ground elk in their frozen section. Costco’s ground bison isn’t as crazy expensive as most places and I like ground bison better than ground beef just don’t over cook it. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Try Gai Yang chicken as something different.  Chicken Larb is also something different to do.  Change up the white rice; I used to mix in 3/4-1 C of salsa with cooked rice to boost the flavor. 

If you're getting tired of grilled food, stop grilling.  Turn the chicken and rice into fried rice.  Any of those proteins can be stir-fried or turned into taco/burrito fillings.  Ground bison chili?  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    shrimp stuffed with horseradish wrapped in prosciutto grilled

dates stuffed with a splash balsamic glaze, gorganzola cheese, wrapped in proscuitto grilled

mexican shrimp cocktail

fukahwee maine

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I would think lean red meat would be fine in proper portions. I've heard of restrictive diets that totally cut off pork consumption. I am surprised they allow soy sauce and that you are not monitoring sugar in your rubs. Keep up the good work. These things are usually easier when both partners are engaged.
  • I would think lean red meat would be fine in proper portions. I've heard of restrictive diets that totally cut off pork consumption. I am surprised they allow soy sauce and that you are not monitoring sugar in your rubs. Keep up the good work. These things are usually easier when both partners are engaged.
     You're right we aren't supposed to have any sugar, but they said I can use any dry spice, and if its in there I don't care.  I will say that Dizzy pig pineapple head grilled chicken with some diced pineapple, and some soy is about as close as you can get to Teriyaki Chicken.  
    Franklin, TN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I buy frozen cauliflower rice all the time. 4-5 minutes in microwave. I almost always “dirty” it up with sauté of onion, celery, mushroom, and red bell pepper. Just a modest amount of EVOO. If you get some some browning you can add just a splash of veg broth to deglaze and reduce. It’s every bit as good as any real rice IMO. Rock on!
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    I would think lean red meat would be fine in proper portions. I've heard of restrictive diets that totally cut off pork consumption. I am surprised they allow soy sauce and that you are not monitoring sugar in your rubs. Keep up the good work. These things are usually easier when both partners are engaged.
     You're right we aren't supposed to have any sugar, but they said I can use any dry spice, and if its in there I don't care.  I will say that Dizzy pig pineapple head grilled chicken with some diced pineapple, and some soy is about as close as you can get to Teriyaki Chicken.  
    How about Sriracha? Low sodium, especially compared to soy sauce. Make your “teriyaki chicken” and add some Sriracha to it to add another flavor. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Here's a great recipe for the stuffed shrimp:
    https://howtobbqright.com/2017/08/10/bacon-wrapped-grilled-shrimp/
    I flip the ratio of cream cheese to crab meat and layer the inside of the par-cooked bacon with a horseradish sauce.  Incredible  flavour profile.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Seasoned grilled veggies are always a hit. Agree with @Acn maybe explore some Asian flavors. Salmon is awesome egged. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Some of these recipes don't look too healthy LOL.  Those stuffed shrimp look great, and I've got some good homemade bacon calling my name when this diet is over!
    Franklin, TN
  • fishlessman
    Some of these recipes don't look too healthy LOL.  Those stuffed shrimp look great, and I've got some good homemade bacon calling my name when this diet is over!

you didnt say healthy =) heres some healthy recipes, im mostly eating mediterranean style foods with no particular diet plan right now, coming up on 50 pounds since last march.
      now for weight loss if you scroll back in the weightloss forum far enough back you will find my post on the octoberfest diet. 2 beers for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 2 for dinner served with sausages, i think i lost 20 on that in 4 weeks =)

fukahwee maine