Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Air Fryers - Who Uses Them

Just got one a few days ago and I’m fairly impressed with it. So far I’ve made Parmesan breaded chicken, Soy Balsamic Chicken, Chicken Nuggets for the grandson, Scotch Eggs and Salisbury Meatballs 

If you have one what are you cooking in it?  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I love fresh broccoli and asparagus. Let it get roasted/crispy.

I also like canned potatoes roasted. They do well 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Bacon wrapped asparagus, boiled eggs, wings, great for reheating pizza, etc...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I like "fried" chicken in my air fryer. Pork chops are pretty good too. Tried a steak once, not impressed. Frozen french fries work well. Scratch fries aren't bad, but not as good as grocery store bagged ones. But scratch fries have only as much sodium as I choose to add, so there's that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Thank for the info.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    wings are one of my favorites out of the airfryer, i have the PowerXL 7 qt, target had it on sale and it is pretty awesome.  i have done buffalo chicken bites, mozzarella cheese sticks jalapeno poppers are all great and easy.  

my wings i do rub, 16 minutes, flip halfway.  take out and sauce and then 3 more minutes for some really good wings.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167

https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/air-fryer-lid/

This might be of interest to some if you already have an instant pot.

• poster said:

Have you used one of those?  I like the air fryers but didn’t want another appliance since we already have an instant pot that rarely gets used. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Lowcountrygamecock said:

already have an instant pot that rarely gets used. 
    It is a game changer when you learn to use it more. 90% of our weekly cooking is done in the IP.

Not sure about air fryers...  I had one of the first round to be released and found out that I had similar result tossing whatever I wanted to “air fry” in a bit of oil and then cooking in the convection oven (or straight in the regular oven).  I rarely eat fried food anymore.

already have an instant pot that rarely gets used. 
    It is a game changer when you learn to use it more. 90% of our weekly cooking is done in the IP.
    I like to think my wife and I are good cooks but everything we’ve had from the instant pot is watered down and seems to take as long as traditional cooking. Maybe we just haven’t tried the right recipes. 
  • I've had an air fryer for almost a year and I would say they are every bit as good as people said they were. Mostly used for chicken thighs and legs, but I've done a number of other things in it. Sweet potato fries are awesome. So much quicker and easier than getting out the deep fryer, which I may never use again.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    poster said:

I have the mealthy version of this, and it's good, but it only cooks on one side (glorified heat lamp), so you have to flip everything and your space is limited.

It works though.
    NOLA
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    poster said:

Have you used one of those?  I like the air fryers but didn’t want another appliance since we already have an instant pot that rarely gets used. 
    Never tried one myself, but am interested as i have an instant pot, but not an air fryer. Figure it would be a little bit less to store
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Our new gas range has an air fryer setting.  I’ve only used it on fries and chicken nuggets for my kid.  The part I don’t understand is if I cook chicken wings, how do the drippings not fall to the bottom of the unit and burn?   I’ve got a basket with holes in that I have been using per the owners manual.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    4 pieces of bacon and sausages takes 8 minutes for the kids breakfast in the mornings plus no splatter everywhere. Fries, chicken nuggets, anything that I would have baked before takes half the time and is 100% cooked better. I did try burgers in it and they were chewy but besides that I love it also. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Mostly use ours for oven fries tater tots Chicken nuggets kid food
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • We have a convection toaster oven. Is an air fryer much different?
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2020
    Plutonium said:
    We have a convection toaster oven. Is an air fryer much different?
    I think they are similar. @Judy Mayberry, a member here, tried fried chicken in her convection toaster oven and it sounded like her results were pretty much the same as mine (air fryer).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut