Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Make or Repair your Stoker Pit Probes

2»

Comments

• brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    edited February 2020
    Well that's interesting.  

All my "Rock" probes test OK.  There is NO electrical connection between the probe stainless sleeve and the actual thermocouple wires.  

The interesting part is that two of the three Auber Instruments probes I purchased test positive for a path to shield from the K-type wires.  In other words, these are no bueno.

:punch:
  • brentm
    edited February 2020
    I tested my "craigslist" Stoker probes.  They were pretty thrashed on the sections up to the stainless tube...  but they both work, and neither one of them are connected to the shield. :hang_loose:

Here are my Auber right angles.   I tested two in this video, and performed an interpretative dance of the results.  :angry:

The interesting thing with the Auber cables, is that the introduction of the stainless braid creates a much larger area of conductivity (the entire cable section up to the spade connector)... or at least where the exterior terminates to heat shrink.

Don't believe me????  See for yourself.  Mr.Thumb tests two identical-looking cables (first cable tested twice in video).

Which one do you want on your brisket?

https://vimeo.com/389651431

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for that. I would like to change over to a K type probe.
    What do you think it would take to convert my existing probes?
    And would the calibration change?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • brentm
    edited February 2020
    Hotch said:
    On your existing Stoker probes, it would just require removing the brown thermocouple wire and soldering on a more suitable type of thermocouple wire and terminating it to the connector of choice.

The adhesive heat shrink becomes very workable under a heat gun.  But that would need to be replaced.  Possibly enlarge the hole on your HDPE barrel cover to fit the new cable diameter.

You would want to recalibrate the probe.  If I did the work for you, I'd recalibrate it.  I believe that setting is saved onto the chip so it should be calibrated on arrival.  But you'd want to double check that with your specific K-type thermocouple.

https://www.omega.com/en-us/wire-and-cable/thermocouple-and-rtd-wire-and-cable/exgg-kx-wire/p/EXPP-K-20-25

It doesn't look like they have small quantities of stranded available, but that'd likely be the wire type.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    edited February 2020

I've been a bit behind on a few projects and updating my Stokers is one of them.

Stokers sold a K type universal connector. It was the Stokers plug in with about 6" of wire with a K type connector. When my wires get too short to use, I will be putting on some mini K type connectors and buying something like these in bulk.

If you are having trouble or your probe wires are getting burnt/ too short, buy some universal k type connectors. It's as simple as cut your wire, strip about 1/2" insulation off, put wire under the screw and tighten.

Just decide if you want the standard K type or mini K type. As you can see from the below, this is in my Amazon cart for another day. $3.00 per probe!!!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• brentm
    edited February 2020
    Seems like it would work.  You have two metals.  Alumel and Chromel...

The wire from Omega would be like what Rock would have sold.  But from a DIY perspective, it seems perfectly reasonable to strip and reterminate with the K wire connectors.

Although I prefer the all in one probes myself.  I would also steer clear of asian cable termination parts, especially with what I've learned about thermocouples.

And test your k-wire thermocouples to ensure the termination is floating inside the stainless tube, and not connected to the shield :)
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    brentm said:
    Hotch said:
    On your existing Stoker probes, it would just require removing the brown thermocouple wire and soldering on a more suitable type of thermocouple wire and terminating it to the connector of choice.

The adhesive heat shrink becomes very workable under a heat gun.  But that would need to be replaced.  Possibly enlarge the hole on your HDPE barrel cover to fit the new cable diameter.

You would want to recalibrate the probe.  If I did the work for you, I'd recalibrate it.  I believe that setting is saved onto the chip so it should be calibrated on arrival.  But you'd want to double check that with your specific K-type thermocouple.

https://www.omega.com/en-us/wire-and-cable/thermocouple-and-rtd-wire-and-cable/exgg-kx-wire/p/EXPP-K-20-25

It doesn't look like they have small quantities of stranded available, but that'd likely be the wire type.

Thanks

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX